Search Unity

2018 Unity's builtin pipeline has weird treatment of textures.

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by cubrman, Sep 20, 2018.

1. cubrman

cubrman

As I switched from 2017.2 to 2018.2 (or even 2018.3b) I noticed that Unity started treating normal maps in very weird ways, see the screenshots below:

3.JPG

3n.JPG

The plane underneath the cube uses an asphalt material with this normal map: x1_normal.jpg

I've increased the normal map strength to 8 to better showcase the problem. In 2018 for some reason Unity has weird "resolution cutoff lines" when it renders textures (yes all textures, not just normals). Pixels closer to camera are rendered in different resolution than those further away and the problem is the transitions between resolutions are sharp as hell. These lines you see in the image actually move with the camera. I've read in release notes that Unity switched to "camera-relative rendering" and I have a suspicion that the problem stems from this fact. I've noted that they actually made some changes in their builtin shaders.

Basically I wanna know how to turn this off because this crap is noticeable as F*** and looks ugly as S***.

2. bgolus

bgolus

What you're seeing is the default Bilinear texture filtering. I'm guessing in the update you somehow lost or change the quality settings such that the "Anisotropic Textures" option is no longer set to "Forced On".

richardkettlewell and cubrman like this.
  3. cubrman

cubrman

As always bgolus is here to save the day, dunno what I would do without you man! TY it worked perfectly.

richardkettlewell likes this.