Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Utilities (3D , 2D , PRO) Radar Builder 2022

Discussion in 'Tools In Progress' started by Ruchmair, Dec 5, 2015.

1. Ruchmair

Ruchmair

Fine, However without a proper internet service we are usable to reply to your messages quickly. Thanks for asking !

2. chuckyluv869

chuckyluv869

I purchased the Pro Radar Builder package and I've been digging in. I'll wait for your next update for the compass ability in 3D radars. I see you already have that for 2D radars.

I'm having one issue so far... It's not reading the enemy tags on objects for new 3d Radars that I set up. I'm getting this error:

"NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    DaiMangou.ProRadarBuilder._3DRadar.CheckAndSetBips () (at Assets/Third Party/DaiMangou/Pro Radar Builder/Scripts/_3DRadar.cs:184)
    DaiMangou.ProRadarBuilder._3DRadar.Update () (at Assets/Third Party/DaiMangou/Pro Radar Builder/Scripts/_3DRadar.cs:47)"

I've double checked and I can't see where I'm not setting it up correctly.

3. Ruchmair

Ruchmair

[QUOTE="I've double checked and I can't see where I'm not setting it up correctly.[/QUOTE]

If you are testing in the same project that you imported the package into, then it is probably because the tags have to be setup in the tag manager.

will continue the reply tomorrow, we have no internet connection at the moment

4. chuckyluv869

chuckyluv869

I was able to borrow an existing radar from an example scene that worked (it picked up enemy objects that were tagged "enemy"). I'll be moving this from my test project into my component project tomorrow and I'll let you know if I need further assistance.

I had to do an interesting set-up to get to work with UFPS. If you or others want to know the approach I took, then I'll be happy to share it. There may be a better way to do it as well, so I'm interested in how others may have approached setting this up with UFPS.

5. Ruchmair

Ruchmair

Awesome , it is most lifely because the tag need to se t in the tag manager. the tags you see being used in the example scenes really do not exist in empty or new projects , so you have to set up those tags again in your tag manager if you want to use them.

Also ... We added the compass function and MUCH MUCH MORE

1 We included new 2D Radar fixes to allow for very accurate scaling with radar diameter change and screen resizing (this was very difficult because we are not using IMGUI nor unity UI to render the 2D radar into screen space)

2 We added a Star map example .... so you can create star maps for your procedural universe or whatever the case may be ... Like the one you see in star citizen. Just that you can customize this one to do more.

3 you can pan around in all axis of the 2D and 3D radar. this opens up a whole new world of possibilities for using the 3D Radar.

4 Optimized file inclusion during builds so that only the most necessary assets are exported in builds

5 Included Panning UI examples

6 we now store resources in our "Resource Root" asset which is automatically generated and placed in a folder name d DaiMangou Core. With this , your project will not be cluttered with and of the image resources that will not be in your build

We placed all editor window related components except the Editor window script into a new dll. The content of the dll is unrelated to the radar system and is used by us to design our editors.

So even if you deleted th editor window script and the ProRadarBuilderEditor.dll , your radars will still work fine.

We acre currently working on setting up the 2D Radar to function more efficiently with FOV and orthographic settings.

Yeah , it would be great if you could share that with us

Last edited: Dec 23, 2016
  6. Ruchmair

Ruchmair

Version 3.0.3 has been released with new Minimap Module.
    So now you can also create minimaps systems without coding.

7. Ruchmair

Ruchmair

Version 4.0.0 is now on the store.
    Version 4.0.1F is coming to the store shortly

8. Ruchmair

Ruchmair

the new 2017 version has been released with Realtime minimap module.
    so there are now options for static and reltime minimaps.

This is some really hard work .

Thanks guys and I hope that you like it :D

9. Ruchmair

Ruchmair

Oh also
    Asset store link is at the bottom of the first post.
    AND
    if the store image don't look like these , no worries there are just the new images :)

10. radiantboy

radiantboy

Looks great but I am getting this error on the demos
    UnityException: Tag: 456e656d79 is not defined.
    DaiMangou.ProRadarBuilder._2DRadar.CheckAndSetBlips ()
    DaiMangou.ProRadarBuilder._2DRadar.Update ()

11. Ruchmair

Ruchmair

ahh, yeah no problem that is not really a big problem,

Just specify the tag again. I will show you a screenshots with the tags you need.:)

Of course the tags were all originality included.

12. radiantboy

radiantboy

Cheers, which are they? this was a new install I didnt change anything. I prefer it not to mess with project settings anyway :)

13. Ruchmair

Ruchmair

You may need to just add back the RadarUI layer in the project

radiantboy likes this.
  14. Ruchmair

Ruchmair

oh one more thing, I forgot to set the ProRadarBuilderEditor.dll from "Any Platform" to "Editor" only in the inspector :(

even if you delete the ProRadarBuilderEditor.dll the radar will still work, this is just fot the Radar Builder editor window. but don't delete it ;) else you wont have the editor window

15. radiantboy

radiantboy

working well now- great asset! Been looking for a cool radar for ages!! So I should change it to "Editor" in inspector?

16. radiantboy

radiantboy

I have placed the radar in my character but every time I run my game it jumps to a new position, is there a way to stop that ?

17. Ruchmair

Ruchmair

First person character ?

if you want the radar to be in screen space ... kind of like the Star Citizen 3D radar or the one we show in the "FP SS 3D Radar" example scene then you only need to ensure that the camera your radar uses as the main camera is the one you character views the world through.

other than that you can make the radar a child of any object and it will follow it around like any child object

18. Ruchmair

Ruchmair

Also, I just make a new update to fix a issue , I will need to send you ... and everyone else the patch

19. OhmMu

OhmMu

Hello, I have really enjoyed your asset for the most part, however I am having an issue with blips not rendering on Android mobile devices. Any thoughts?

20. Ruchmair

Ruchmair

sure,
    Are you using the source included version ?1
    I remember not seeing blips render about 1 year ago when testing , the cause was with some tag settings, for some reason I didn't set up my tags in unity correctly.

I just tested the build on a old android device. version 4.2.2 Huawei y330.

a really quick test that you can do is create a new scene with a radar that renders one large blip, give it this tag , 'testrender' and build out that scene and check it

21. ExtReMe1983

ExtReMe1983

Hello DaiMangou,

CAn't setup the radar correctly. I want to make sure that the radar in the upper right corner of the screen looks the same as in the lower right corner. First of all, I mean the angle of inclination with respect to the camera. Tell me how to achieve this? The first is correct but it is obtained only when the camera is looking down and the second is wrong and it is obtained when the camera looks at the horizon. When radar is setup for Right bottom then all is fine.
    1) like this.png
    2) Problem.png

22. Ruchmair

Ruchmair

No problem .

take a look at the setting in my game .

I actually use the radars rotation targeting system to manipulate its own rotation.

and i give it a tilt of 300+ degrees in the x so that it always tilts back so that i can see all my vlips at a nice angle and nothing acts weird.

so yours is going to say (Rotate, this Object , YourRadar, Proportional, to ,thisObject , Your FPS camera that is rotating)

23. ExtReMe1983

ExtReMe1983

Thanks! But there is still one small problem... Blips have gone to a negative value for front and positive for back.

Attached Files:

24. Ruchmair

Ruchmair

hmm, the blips do compensate for radar rotation and the result is that they themselves don't move through the y axis, so it can indeed look that way.

If the radar were to rotate and the blips followed the radar through its rotation then it would look even stranger.

for example, if the radar was facing straight up, the blips would

A solution I use is simply adding a sprite design so my radar will will not rotate with the radar so that I can see a plane and know that a blip is definitely in front or behind me.

well I can still take a look at creating a function which changes what the blips position is relative to.

25. ExtReMe1983

ExtReMe1983

Thanks! I still think that most likely this is my mistake, but in any case, I want to show you my scene RadarScenePrefs.jpg

26. Ruchmair

Ruchmair

I think that that version of the radar builder had a Front Is function that was not plugged into anything (after being accidentally unplugged in a previous update). The new versions fixes that . But the other settings look fine to me.

Your in my example my FPS camera is the one that looks around the scene.

27. ExtReMe1983

ExtReMe1983

Thank you very much, I will wait for the update

28. HeavyProduction

HeavyProduction

I am trying to use this alongside the ARKit plugin but I am having issues with the camera setup. Any chance you could help? Not sure how to layer the cameras. The ARKit camera is currently using depth only so not sure how to get it working.

29. Ruchmair

Ruchmair

The update war released about two updates ago. another update was released today .

Today update fixes what now seems like an impossible error. (just in the editor)

If you Use the Source Code version and you can see the icons in the editor window then i have no idea how it was showing correctly except that the Fix that unity made in their last update corrected the loophole in their system.

30. Ruchmair

Ruchmair

-When you create a radar , you get a Render Camera with it.
    -That camera , once instanced doesn't need to be moved or made a child of anything , it needs to just sit in your scene.
    - if you dont want a screen space 3D Radar then you can disable the Render Camera in the scene.
    - By default the Render Camera Clear flags is set to "Depth" just like your ARKit camera.
    - Place your radar and all is children on a specific layer that only the Render Camera will render.
    - Tell your ARKit camera to not render anything on the Radars layer
    So only your Render camera should render the Radar . and again this is just to be done if it is necessary for your scene but this is usually the case.
    - If necessary , you can change the depth value of the Render Camera.
    - Any other camera must be told that it must not render anything on the Radar Layer.

Done :)

I am going to add more opting to the Render Camera so that you can set a Target Display.
    If that is really necessary then you can always access the Camer of the Render Camers and set the Target Display in script or.

A good thing to note is that the radar puts no restriction on how you wish to render it as the core of our code only handles transform , rotation and scale as we don't want to restrict users by saying that a specific shader or layer must be used.
    You are free to use whatever materials you want and render it however you want.

31. ExtReMe1983

ExtReMe1983

Hi DaiMangou,
    No I have a regular version. Today I downloaded the latest version and nothing has changed. My radar is in the right upper corner and as before the opponents that are in front are displayed below the base level of the radar.

32. Ruchmair

Ruchmair

@ExtReMe1983 I will then have to do a quite a bit of code editing since the radar was designed to not do that.
    should be easy to add that option. I will add that function for you but i wont be able to test it in all 20+ scenes.

You can use it and let me know how it goes.

I am working on another part of the radar at the same time to it should be ready in the next update.

33. Ruchmair

Ruchmair

I actually just added a new function which you can simply turn on to tell any blip type that it should not go under the radar , this is much better for games like yours where it wouldn't necessarily be useful for blips to stick out under the radar.

34. ExtReMe1983

ExtReMe1983

Hi DaiMangou,
    Maybe it's not been used by anyone before, but I think this is really an important thing that may be needed by others. I have enough time, I can safely wait for your planned update. Thanks!

35. cs

cs

Does this only work with 2017? I have a project I am working on that I want to bring this into but it is in 5.6

36. cs

cs

Hey @DaiMangou

So I bought 2d / 3d radar pro newest version. Is it possible to get a previous version that works for 5.6 now. I didn't find anything in the asset store for it but I'm not in a position to upgrade just yet as I have a demo coming up. :(

37. Ruchmair

Ruchmair

When is your demo day ?

If you have the source code included version then unity should point out where in the codes changes must be made (in order to make it compatable with 5.6), there shouldnt be many.

if you dont have that version then I could build out a 5.6 compatible version for you but It will take a little time

38. cs

cs

Let me poke at the source then.

39. cs

cs

So it seems to be running alright. I had to comment out lines 88 to 100 which are related to the preview images in the editor. I think I can just put the images in there from a resources folder which is easy enough I think.

I still get this error although I can still build and everything seems to be working just fine. Maybe something to do with the images I comment out though? Not sure if I'll run into anything later though.

upload_2017-10-23_12-40-27.png

Last edited: Oct 23, 2017
  40. cs

cs

@DaiMangou

Ok I setup custom icons for the editor so we are all good there. I still get the error above but like I said everything seems to work fine. I don't like leaving errors though. Any ideas?

41. Ruchmair

Ruchmair

hmmm , well you could try deleting the DaiMangou Core folder and then perform an assembly reload and a new DaiMangou core folder will be generated.

well you are running in an older version so that may be a cause ,That being said this wouldn't affect the game at all since it is only for the Editor window tool.

42. UnityRocksAlt

UnityRocksAlt

How to use this for a 2D Game (that is only X-Y Axis)

Because my camera is 2D, it only detects X and Z axis, not Y axis.
    Please kindly let me know how to get around this issue. This is quite urgent. There is no scale by size.
    I just also wanted to add, that in the radar, the blips don't move vertically because it is taking z depth, instead of y axis.

I appreciate that your asset is easy to use, but it cann't distinguish between 3D and 2D Scene. Will you tick an option for 2D Scene, because as I said - in the radar, the blips don't move vertically because it is taking z depth, instead of y axis.

43. Rahd

Rahd

@DaiMangou thanks for the plugin ,
    one thing i tried fresh builds using unity 2017.1 2017.2 2017.3 beta
    they all crash on mobile not even a loading screen , works fine on pc ...
    i tested on Nox , VS emu , and note 4 , note Edge , s5 mini , z3 , z4 , Z1 , ect .. .all crash :(
    i found out about this after i removed the 2d radar from my game .
    so to pinpoint this i did a build of a fresh project with your examples of 2d radar builder Pro
    still crashing :(
    any tips advices , ?
    i did add if(unity editor) to editor scripts still no luck like Visualization2D.cs
    please help :( ?

44. Rahd

Rahd

Update so far the build runs fine if i remove the CenterObjectBlip()
    from update(); 2Dradar any thoughts ?

45. Rahd

Rahd

i think i have something wrong with my build , the tags dont work on mobile .....
    it comes down to this : on CenterObjectBlip() :

if (!_RadarCenterObject2D.CenterObject ||
    _RadarCenterObject2D.CenterObject == RadarDesign.camera.transform)
    try
    {
    _RadarCenterObject2D.CenterObject =
    GameObject.FindGameObjectWithTag(_RadarCenterObject2D.Tag).transform;
    }
    catch
    {
    // if for some reson the center object is destroyed of disable d then we fal back to using the camera as the center object
    _RadarCenterObject2D.CenterObject = RadarDesign.camera.transform;
    }

GameObject.FindGameObjectWithTag(_RadarCenterObject2D.Tag).transform; ---> player..transform;

fixed by having a public Game object for the player blip

46. kburkhart84

kburkhart84

I have the PRO radar builder. I loaded the asset into Unity, and was hoping to move the folder into a subfolder of the assets folder. It automatically creates a separate DaiMangou Core folder(with a single root file). When I move the DaiMangou folder, it then creates that "core" folder inside that subfolder as well(which is fine), but it then forcefully creates the same folder and file in the asset folder as well, meaning I have the one that is alongside where I move the DaiMangou folder to, and then it also has the one in the root assets folder.

Is this an issue I'll run into later(haven't actually implemented radars yet since it is a new project)? Can I stop this behavior?

47. tspk91

tspk91

Hi, I am using the 3d Radar Builder (source included) and since updating from last spring version to the current version the radar lost a feature I used.

Before, the radar used the player reference as a positional and rotational origin. Now the rotational part is gone. Since I am working in a spaceship game, I need the rotation of the ship causing a rotation of the radar space. I looked into the code, and it seems to assume the radar itself will be rotated with the player. In my case, the cockpit is completely static and the illusion of moving through the world is made with camera work, so the radar displays the ships in unrotated world space rendering it useless :/.

Why has this changed? I can tweak the code, but I think an option to use the player rotation as an offset for the radar space would be very useful.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2017
  48. Ruchmair

Ruchmair

Sorry for the late reply.
    There had been significant trouble for a few month which prevented activity.

49. Ruchmair

Ruchmair

Great that you fixed it.

If you ever have an issue related to tag after importing and texting , check the tag manager again to make sure the tags are set, and then check the radars blip tags

50. Ruchmair

Ruchmair

Not sure if you had email us before about this but we added a function which allows for 2D Radars to read and track movement of object through the Y axis.
    I will still check again :)