Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

2018 NetworkTransform moving/blocking regression from 2017.3.1p4

Discussion in '2018.2 Beta' started by Arkade, May 24, 2018.

1. Arkade

Arkade

Hi
    I upgraded my WIP Android VR game from 2017.03.1p4 to 2018.2b4 and my player suffers two odd movement problems in one of two levels.

Expected:
    When the player first appears (in either level), it drifts the small distance to the floor and remains stationary. The user uses GoogleVR's in-Editor 'look' control (alt+mouse movement) to look around. They hit the up arrow to 'step' and move forward.

Actual:
    1. When the player first appears in the problem level, it drifts to the floor but no longer remains stationary (as it did in 2017 and does with the NetworkTransform disabled). Instead as soon as the player touches the floor, it accelerates sideways. And I do mean accelerates -- there's a continuous acceleration since velocity is steadily increasing. I then look around (using GoogleVR's in-Editor alt+mouse movement) and movement stops.
    2. At this point, the user presses up arrow to step and nothing happens = no movement.

In case relevant, I'm using VR-Step to move which assigns to rigidbody.velocity each FixedUpdate.

Differences:
    Obviously Unity version is the only thing that's changed for the problem level.
    Within 2018, it still works fine in a level with player scale 1. It only fails on a level where player scale 50. (The prior takes place in a bedroom, the latter in 'space' which includes the ability to scale down to scale 1 when you wish to orbit a planet. To reiterate, all was fine in 2017.)

After lots of experimentation, I found the problem ceases when I disable the NetworkTransform on the player prefab.

I'm embarrassed to say after a few hours attempting a minimal reproduction, I haven't yet managed. I thought I'd ask here in case anyone can give me more useful pointers or, just possibly, say "oh that, yeah you forgot to disable the new sub-flange-wangler switch" o_O

Thanks in advance!

2. larus

larus

Unity Technologies

There were no changes to this code between those versions, so I'm afraid there is no simple "oh just flip this to off" solution. Sounds like physics handling is different in the new version, possibly related to the VR plugin, or basically an ambigous "something has changed" situation has affected you. I'd suggest grabbing the source code here, follow the directions on the repo main page for setting it up, and then have a look at what is going on when it's setting the rigidbody velicity in there. Could compare/debug how it looks in 2017.3 with 2018.1. Also, this sounds like the interpolation bits in the network transform acting up, so you could tweak for example the interpolation threshold in the inspector and see what affect that has.

Arkade likes this.
  3. Arkade

Arkade

Hey, thanks @larus
    I'm still trying to figure it out. I'm now less convinced that is definitely the NetworkTransform since I've now also seen the problem after removal! (Very frustrating.)

I assume a new thread (with new title) would be best if it's not Network Transform (even though symptom is the same) ?

4. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

Yeah file a new thread so others will be able to navigate to a solution / conversation about it easier :)