Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

2018.3 Hierarchy UI mouse cursor highlight lags behind

Discussion in '2018.3 Beta' started by Muuuuo, Oct 5, 2018.

1. Muuuuo

Muuuuo

2018.3 hierarchy UI mouse cursor highlight lags several frames behind the actual cursor. If you move the cursor over the hierarchy up/down somewhat quickly you'll see the highlight is usually about 1 gameobject entry behind. It makes navigating the hierarchy with a mouse feel heavy and increases mental load and fatigue. It's like playing a laggy online game that doesn't do actions in real time.

Please make the cursor highlight not lag or give the option to disable it.

This might seem like a trivial thing, but is surprisingly annoying when it's one of the most core things every single user will see and do every day and every time. I tried to get used to it for 4 beta versions and it still annoys me every time I try to pick something in the hierarchy. My computer can handle the editor fine and it's not a performance problem.

2. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

Is it planned that all Unity lists are going to have this mouse hover effect? For example, it's somewhat inconsistent that the hierarchy has this mouse over effect, but the project browser does not.

Elveryx likes this.
  3. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

Could we get a bug report for this behaviour please?

4. Muuuuo

Muuuuo

Made a bug report 1089403.

Here's a video of the effect in action: https://imgur.com/a/oKerInh. Looking at the video frame by frame you can see the highlight drag around 1 frame behind. The issue with the effect can likely be amplified by having a monitor with slow g2g color transition speed.

Also note how for example windows file explorer mitigates this issue by making the standard blue highlight disappear if you move mouse this fast.

LeonhardP likes this.
  5. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

Thanks a lot! For future references, it would be great if you could link to material like this video in the report itself as well. I've added it in this case.