Search Unity

2018.3 beta

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by konsic, Sep 2, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

I don't use the new prefab options and find the little boxes in my hierarchy quite annoying. I knew they were coming but I did expect them to be optional... we use a custom hierarchy display and have no need for redundant little boxes on every single line. Can we have pre 2018.3 hierarchy window style back thanks :)

Also I would like prefab revery and apply controls back. I am quite used to the pre 2018.3 way of working and find the new nested prefabs stuff (which I never asked for) to be a bit of a chore. Being able to toggle the old and new behaviour would be lovely. I do not need nested prefabs.

2. konsic

konsic

How is the editor/clicking workflow improved ?

They've said in roadmap video that everything should be achievable in less that a milisecond or so.

3. Murgilod

Murgilod

They said that was a long-term goal.

4. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Some first impressions:

1. I also dislike how the hierarchy is now an icon riddled mess. I don't really care about nested prefbs. The new prefab workflow seems a bit annoying (some things seem to require more steps to do now, although other things seem kinda nice, I need more time with it)

2. Remove ringing for light probes is nice. It makes the probes a bit too evenly lit, but I found that in scenes where ringing was apparent ticking "remove ringing" is a pretty good improvement and makes the light probes look pretty decent.

3. Importing my existing project into 2018.3 beta, made every mesh to fail to import, breaking everything, which immediately gave me a bad impression of the beta.

4. It seems that in Model import settings, the "Normals Mode" and "Smoothness Source" is now always visible and active, even if I have the normals set to import and I don't have any blendshapes. Which is bit confusing, since I am now unsure if Unity tweaks my normals, even though I have it set to Import.

Edit: It also seems like Disc area lights for PLM are buggy?

Last edited: Sep 12, 2018
  5. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Sure, but those of us relying on that antiquated system will take what we can get.

bobisgod234 likes this.
  6. Murgilod

Murgilod

I don't subscribe to the thought process of "take what you can get."

katoun likes this.
  7. CDF

CDF

I like everything about it so far. Never really used terrain cause I'm a mobile only guy. But yeah, kinda feels a bit clunky compared to other Unity inspectors.

8. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

I take to the thought process of "get the job done", and short of making my own that was the best option. For people in similar positions that best option is getting better, which is good.

bobisgod234 likes this.
  9. Schubkraft

Schubkraft

Unity Technologies

Just chiming in to say that it is a long-term goal and that 1ms is not what we said. 1ms seems not very achievable for "ALL the things". The goal is to make iterating in general become faster though.

10. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

11. konsic

konsic

Yes, I'm sorry. Not 1ms but under 500 ms. I misremembered it.

12. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Actually got pissed off with the change to Unity tabs just now. Closed them when I wanted to click them WTF. Tabs in Unity are supposed to stick around, right or middle clicking them to remove them is fine, because we want to keep them around.

Tabs in a dev environment stay around.
    Tabs in a browser don't.

I'm utterly astonished Unity doesn't understand it's own editor. Seriously shocked.
    This needs rolling back and it's best left unchanged. The old behaviour is better in every single way.

13. katoun

katoun

Hey hippocoder. I am confused of what are you saying is wrong. They have added an 'x' close button that is not visible until you hover the mouse over. You need to be careful not to click there when your intention is to select that tab. I would prefer the x button to be always visible.

14. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

I would prefer there not to be an x button. It will also be on the wrong side for mac users anyway. How often do you close and open tabs?

15. katoun

katoun

In this case I would suggest for this to be an option in the editor settings so more people will be happy. True with the mac users, but also me as a windows user the Unity editor UI is to mac like but I got used to. It is also true that I do not close or open windows/taps very often, but when I do, for me a permanent x close button would be very convenient.
    People here have very good points thought :):
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/i-tend-to-close-other-tabs-more-often-than-not-now.554080/

16. konsic

konsic

Beta9 has only 2 known issues left. Does that mean next version is going to be final ?

17. Antypodish

Antypodish

Probably, since is already November - December.
    However, I would not be surprised to see other previews along the line, before then.

18. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

It's removed in alpha 2019, and I miss them now. I'm an idiot sometimes. So grumpy. So stubborn.

BlackPete and Lurking-Ninja like this.
  19. Antypodish

Antypodish

Yep, I liked previews.
    I think they also provide(d) good real-time feedback from community.

20. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

There will most likely be RC or two before final release, don't expect the release next week.

Also list of known issues never list all known issues. Issue tracker is full of all kinds of issues but they don't list everything on changelog, only the most important ones.

21. konsic

konsic

The only thing I dislike of this development model is that 2019.1 is already in development but 2018.3 isn't finished.
    I think it would be better to have a stable and robust engine.
    So, one focused, robust and unified engine rather than constant update and change.

22. Real life continuous development does not work like that. Unity is on the right path with this development model.

And actually the fact alone that they're working on multiple versions at the same time does not really make anything more error-prune than it would be otherwise.

angrypenguin likes this.
  23. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

They are already developing 2019.2 and 2019.3 features as well, it's not like they can just do 4 releases a year by focusing on them only on shorter term, they'd never have resources for that (and Unity has now already really huge staff). Individual teams and people working on specific feats can only do so much in a quarter and you can't just tell them to make things happen in shorter time frame. Some of the recent work on new feats have been under development for years, it's not a short sighted sprint race :)

Lurking-Ninja likes this.
  24. Antypodish

Antypodish

Imagine for example, ECS was started in 2017.3, or 2017.4. Then you want Ship it by the end of 2018 among with other features. This is not a small task to do. You would need drag whole team on the job. Hire new people and risking experienced staff in the subject.

Now you have R&D distribution with different features areas of development. Which takes years.

Instead, as far I am aware, ECS is on drawing board since at least Unity 5.4. But only this year came through the preview releases. And is likely it won't be ready yet, for relatively long time.

25. konsic

konsic

There was some talk about returning the prefabs workflow the old and faster way. Will this come in 2018.3.1 ?

26. Murgilod

Murgilod

No? There wasn't even official talk of that, iirc, just some people complaining because they haven't bothered to even learn the new workflow yet.

27. Ryiah

Ryiah

Welcome to the IT industry.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.