Search Unity

1. Unity 2019.1 is now released.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We've opened up a space to discuss, share feedback, and showcase everything related to the Unity Shader Graph! Come show us what you've made.
    Dismiss Notice

2018.3, 2019.1 and its rubbish gui changes....

Discussion in '2019.1 Beta' started by Player7, Feb 7, 2019.

1. Player7

Player7

For the project settings.. see this here post.. https://forum.unity.com/threads/new-settings-gui.557308/#post-3695815 is some screenshots showing how it used to work for me, and how it's now this rubbish oversized panel that one breaks how things used to work with old addons, would be great if the layout could be improved to instead show the sidepanel menu items as tabs if the window width is below a certain size, as this would work much better with having that settings panel within the same inspector sidepanel as opposed to floating around taking up screenspace when previously as shown in screenshots in worked better or atleast could.
    Unity_cEp4y0kStu.jpg
    And then this other issue with the number of text button items now piling up on the console tab... I now find myself constantly having to resize the damn console tab window just to see the most important icon buttons for filtering errors/info/warnings, because this stuff is now pushed even more to the right side going out of visibility for my layout!... and unlike any sensible gui design where tab options might show in a dropdown menu that shows the items that are no longer visible on the screen I have to constantly resize the console tab to see those buttons, while all the useless buttons I rarely ever use are visible at all times in text (because making icons must be really hard for something like clear log etc)

seriously it's these minor annoyances with the gui of Unity that are adding up and nothing is really improving in the way gui/ux for me.. even prefabs workflow didn't really improve, really need some better UX already! And stop assuming everyone wants to work with Unity at some 4k resolution maximized looking at awful flat color gui's.

Sylmerria, dmennenoh, Rich_A and 2 others like this.
  2. xCyborg

xCyborg

Agree, also a dropdown menu is a good choice.
    But from experience I think Unity Editor UI additions are impossible to change, it will be like that forever, just like the horrible SceneVis section of the hierarchy.
    User Experience went down the pipes since Nicholas Francis left.

Rich_A likes this.
  3. Rich_A

Rich_A

Well his LinkedIn says that he is "Currently turning my interests form computer game interaction design towards graphic application design" so maybe there's a chance he'll come back and fix everything up? :-D

I admire the testing that community members like OP are doing. It would really be shame if this kind of basic feedback is not taken onboard from the Beta program. Otherwise... what is the point of the beta?

Recently it seems like Unity has leaned heavily towards the 'programmer' side of the userbase - with less consideration for the game designers and level designers who use its editor as their primary daily tool. I guess we got the terrain improvements, and Unity threw us a bone with ProBuilder and Polybrush (mostly irrelevant since those assets were so cheap anyway).

Maybe its all just a symptom of the rush to add new features and reach AAA-level visuals :-/

4. Player7

Player7

Using a 1440p screen now and well atleast with Unity resized bigger the missing warning/info/error icons can be toggled quicker as they are visible again. Still shouldn't have been an issue. As for the UX guy leaving well I dunno when he left but since I've been using Unity since 2015 I can say that there are still plenty of UX areas that leave a lot to be desired.

And I really miss this functionality ... it was better how I had it before in 2018.2 with the layour of the Project Settings tab with all the setting options as buttons and those just changed the inspector view which was able to fit the entire settings within that width, that stuff is broken now and with taken up by the new Project Settings window is by design not very adaptive to smaller widths... so common Unity these are areas for improvement.
    x6KPx3r.png

5. Player7

Player7

Or the Project window, where you can't double click on a folder to expand it (ie the 1 Column View).. nope you have to click on a little twizzler arrow to expand or retract the folder being open... I mean double clicking on a folder text area should open it... it's a freaking standardized thing.. but Unity oh no can't possibly support that.. no just click on the little arrow thingy.. for every damn folder you want to navigate into... I mean ... ridiculous does anyone actually own this part of the code.. the entire project window tab is a joke. And really needs improvements, it's a like a gimped version of a windows file explorer which is gimped as it is, as windows 10 improved sweet nothing compared to certain shell extensions.

phobos2077, rmb303 and Rich_A like this.
  6. xCyborg

xCyborg

That and they should add option to scope in on folders like Assets folder to hide Packages folder.

And let me not start with the hierarchy window.

7. Ethan_VisualVocal

Ethan_VisualVocal

That thing is written in their new UIElements framework, they should just expose the .uxml and .uss files for Unity UI and let people hack away at windows like this -- but with no guarantees of backwards compat. between Unity versions.

For the moment, you can use the UIElements debugger (right click on the tab) and modify a few things, like the min-width, but it gets lost on Unity restart.