Search Unity

2018.3.0f2 - Assertion failed on expression and computer crash

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by KospY, Dec 17, 2018.

1. KospY

KospY

I recently updated my project to 2018.3.0f2 and the console in now throwing a lot of errors randomly:
    - Assertion failed on expression: 'task.rasterData.vertexBuffer == NULL'
    and
    - Assertion failed on expression: 'task.rasterData.indexBuffer == NULL'

I don't have any clue of what is happening here. I randomly disabled some gameobjects on my scenes and it "seem" to be related to mesh renderers, but nothing sure.

Does anyone know what I can do to fix this?

Edit: I can confirm that this issue happen when a particle system is in the scene and VR is enabled.

Edit 2: I also suspect that this issue cause the computer to crash when the application quit!

Last edited: Dec 28, 2018
  2. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

Have you filled a bug report?

3. KospY

KospY

Unfortunately I can't reproduce it on a new project (I assume I should not send a 50gb project to your support team).
    I was mainly looking about some clues about where to look (the error don't give any indication, it also don't focus on any object).
    Anyway I will try to send a bug report without a repro project. Hope I will get some help about this.

4. fup

fup

I am getting this problem also upon updating to 2018.3.0f2.. Our project uses the Mirza Beig particle fx package. Here:

https://assetstore.unity.com/publishers/7271

This error occurs when a disabled pfx gameobject is enabled at runtime.

gelare1029745 likes this.
  5. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

Could you please submit a bug-report and include a project to reproduce the issue, as described in this document:
    https://unity3d.com/unity/qa/bug-reporting

Submitting a bug-report allows Unity Technologies to take a look at this issue.

After you submitted the bug-report, you receive a confirmation email with a bug-report Case number. You can post this Case number here (in this forum thread) for Unity staff to pick up, in case they see this post.

karl_jones likes this.
  6. atlas_r

atlas_r

I get this problem in Unity 2018.3.0f2 as well as long as both of these conditions are met:

1. Add any particle system to the scene (I tried particles from a couple different packs).

2. Run it in VR mode (I tried with the Rift).

RSmart and Mikael-H like this.
  7. RSmart

RSmart

And memory usage increases about 10MB per second if you hit stop and play again after the error shows. This causes both the Editor or game crashes. And in our situation, we cannot just downgrade our project to a lower version for the new prefab system. Please fix it.

Here is my Case number 1112834.

8. KospY

KospY

Interesting, my game crash randomly when the player quit since 2018.3.
    It cause the graphic driver to crash and the computer to froze (only way to fix is rebooting).
    It could be related to this issue.
    When the game crash, the log file is full of this line: "d3d11: attempt to lock null buffer"

This issue is pretty serious and need to be fixed ASAP. Thanks!

9. Unityraptor81

Unityraptor81

Same issue here for Tales Of Glory (VR game).

Game crashes on exit when calling Application.quit(). Reproduced by every ppl playing on beta.

Editor crashes too when stopping play mode.

Crashes are pretty hard, need a full reboot.

I can't downgrade too. i'm stuck waiting for a fix.

If unity team can check it !

Thanks

Jay

10. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

11. KospY

KospY

@Peter77 RSmart already created a bug report.
    Do we need to create another one?
    Also I can't create a repro project for the crash as it's a random issue for me.
    Hope the "Assertion failed" issue is related to the crash.

12. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

If getting a bug fix is important to me and I have a project to reproduce the issue, I submit a bug-report.

Otherwise, even if another person submitted a report already, it might not get fixed, because it could be a different issue the other person reported.

Thus, if you don't submit a report with a project to reproduce the issue, do not expect that Unity Technologies is providing a bug-fix. This is just from my past experience.

13. RSmart

RSmart

Don't worry guys. My report is subbmit with a very simple project and a instruction to reproduce it in a empty project. And also you can try it here.

1.Create a empty project with Unity2018.3.0f2. And add a ParticleSystem to the scene.
    2.Make sure VR HMD is tracked.(VR supported in PlayerSettings)
    3.Run SampleScene
    4.Stop SampleScene.
    5.Run again and click console tab, game tab or scene tab.
    6.Assertion failed on expression: 'task.rasterData.vertexBuffer == NULL' shows
    7.Stop and Run again.
    8.Checking the memory usage by UnityEditor.

14. ted-aronson

ted-aronson

I'm also having this problem. @RSmart, can you post a link to the issue tracker so the rest of us can vote on it?

RSmart likes this.
  15. KospY

KospY

RSmart and ted-aronson like this.
  16. RSmart

RSmart

17. superjayman

superjayman

As of jan 25, this bug is still there!.. How absurd of a situation where you can't use ANY PARTICLE system in Unity 2018.3 without getting this error. I know they are working on a fix but is there a work around in the mean time?

18. superjayman

superjayman

What is the status???????

19. kaushikkanzariya777

kaushikkanzariya777

your project in check Light Shadows On/OFF
    if On then turn Off the shadow after again play problem solve...

Dncry and malak like this.
  20. Mitchellhart

Mitchellhart

I was having the same issue, but appears to be fixed after upgrading to 2018.3.4f1

21. N3V_Games

N3V_Games

I've updated to 2020.1.0a16 and I still seem to be getting the following error:

Assertion failed on expression: 'task.rasterData.vertexBuffer == NULL'
    UnityEngine.GUIUtility : ProcessEvent(Int32, IntPtr)

Might not be identical to the error being reported here but any help on this would be appreciated.

UPDATED [ FOUND PROBLEM / SOLUTION ]

Turns out it was a "Line Renderer" component causing the issue. All I had to do was turn "Cast Shadows" to "Off" and the error stopped showing in the console in the editor.

I hope this helps others as it was a day or more of trying to hunt this down which was frustrating.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2019
    dylanfries and coreyosmith15 like this.
  22. jRocket

jRocket

It does seem related to the Line Renderer but I didn't have any luck with turning Cast Shadows off. Disabling the Line Renderer did stop this error though.

I think the original issue was related to VR and may have been a separate issue, so I created a new bug report with a repro project. Case number 1208223

23. Shudrum

Shudrum

I am able to reproduce this issue withou unity 2019.3.0f3, with particles.

I cannot turn off shadows as I work with the deferred rendering.

Should I add an issue about it?

Thank you.

24. Shudrum

Shudrum

Well, sad, by cleaning my project to isolate the issue, it no longer appears :( If it is the case I will retry to open it.

25. MiguelBest

MiguelBest

I'm able to reproduce this bug in 2019.3.0f3 by doing the following steps:

1 - Create a new default 3D project
    2 - In sample scene, create a new object with a Line Renderer component
    3 - Create another object with a Particle System component
    4 - Console shows "Assertion failed on expression: 'task.rasterData.vertexBuffer == NULL'" errors. Sometimes you might need to wait a few seconds before the errors start showing up and they will eventually go away but come back if you restart Unity.

The same happens with the alpha version (2020.1.0a18) but I can't seem to reproduce the error in the latest 2019.2 version (2019.2.16f1).

Funny thing is I followed the same steps and tried to reproduce the same error in my other computer and it works fine, in all versions. So maybe this is a graphics card problem, I don't know.

pixelR and jRocket like this.
  26. zapposh

zapposh

Same issue here.

Appears in 2019.3.0f3 and above, when using URP and a particle system.
    The error does not show when the particles are disabled.

pixelR likes this.
  27. pixelR

pixelR

I can confirm this. Unity 2019.3.0f5 + URP has a problem with particles and line renderers. In my case, the error appears when I enable the otherwise disabled line renderer component on another GameObject.

@karl_jones Has actually someone sent a bug report about it already last year?

28. jRocket

jRocket

I have reported as Case 1208223 on FogBugz. Not sure if it's been looked at or not, but it wouldn't hurt to submit your own bug reports with different repro's.

29. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

kavanavak likes this.
  30. MiguelBest

MiguelBest

@jRocket I also have reported it as a bug (Case 1211155) and got a reply saying he/she couldn't reproduce the problem. This was 2 days ago and the ticket is still opened so I'm assuming they're looking into it.

I'll let you know if anything comes of it.

31. King_of_L1mbs

King_of_L1mbs

Upgraded to 2019.3 recently because of c# 7. Now I ran into this mess. Same here with line renderer and particle system in the same scene. Seems to work fine on 2019.2.

Looking at the history of this thread I fear it won't get solved then some genius decides to just make another new particle system - which as it seems is the preferred fix for any broken unity component: just replace it with some half working alpha of something else.

32. Foobyte

Foobyte

I also want to chime in and say that my scene is using Particle Effects as well as a Line Renderer.
    When disabling the Line Renderer the error goes away.
    If the Line Renderer is enabled and throwing the errors, there also seems to be a memory leak which cause the memory use to increase with each error.

Unity 2019.3.0f3

33. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

Could you please file a bug report

34. Foobyte

Foobyte

I'll get to it ASAP, should be submitted within 24 hrs.

karl_jones likes this.
  35. SpiralCircus

SpiralCircus

I'm seeing it too - 2019.3.0f3, URP + 2D renderer, Any scene with line renderer and / or shuriken particle systems.

36. MiguelBest

MiguelBest

@karl_jones I've submitted a bug report which is still open (Case 1211155) yet I haven't gotten a reply in 7 days. Can I expect anyone else to reply or look into it? Or should I just submit another bug report?

zapposh likes this.
  37. MiguelBest

MiguelBest

I got a reply from support and they suggested changing the Graphics API in Edit->Project Settings->Player->Other Settings. Unchecking "Auto Graphics API for Windows" and adding Vulkan or Direct3D12 (Experimental) did the trick for me! OpenGLCore, OpenGLES2 and OpenGLES3 unfortunately didn't work.

Hope this works for everyone else too!

38. Seifu_

Seifu_

This worked for me Also. Thanks :)

39. pixelR

pixelR

Happens with Vulkan too in my Android project.

40. hertz-rat

hertz-rat

"Have you filled a bug report?"

Slightly off topic, but my bug report is that the unity crash reporter hangs and has never succesfully uploaded anything.

41. hertz-rat

hertz-rat

Are there any advantages or disadvantages to choosing a different graphics API?

42. FrancoFresco

FrancoFresco

Glad I'm not alone with this.

Just upgraded from 2019.2.17f1 to 2019.3.0f6

Not on URP, still using Built-In and still getting the error.

The solution does work!

I'm on Android Platform, if its still not working for you, make sure you updating the Settings for PC, Mac & Linux Standalone -> Other Settings -> Rendering. Not only Android Settings

43. FrancoFresco

FrancoFresco

Great question, not exactly sure, but it looks like Vulkan is made to replace OpenGLES3 for cross platform rendering, while Direct3D12 would be for only platforms that support Microsoft DirectX

44. FargleBargle

FargleBargle

I just installed Unity 2019.3.0f6, and got this error in a test project after using particles for a vehicle exhaust. It doesn't always happen right away, but sometimes after several seconds or minutes, once even well after I'd stopped using the vehicle that was emitting the particles. I'm not sure where I might be using a line renderer, since I've disabled everything in the scene except a directional light, terrain, the player, and the vehicle, and I'm pretty sure there are no line renderers used in any of them. I'm also just using the standard deferred render settings I brought in from Unity 2018, and haven't tried URP, LWRP, or HDRP yet.

I tried switching to Vulkan as suggested, but my terrain disappeared in both Scene and Game views - which probably isn't a good thing. Switching to Direct3D12 brought my terrain back, but I still got the original error when particles were used. I tried 2019.3 in the hope that it would solve some issues I was having with 2019.2, but if it's going to introduce a bunch of new issues, what's the point? My main project looks like it will be stuck using 2018.2 for a bit longer at this rate.

45. valentingurkov

valentingurkov

Gettings this with 19.3.0f6 also..

46. Zymu

Zymu

I'm also having this issue on the latest 2019.3 version.

47. hertz-rat

hertz-rat

To answer my own question:
    - Vulkan runs really smooth until it hangs after you enter/exit play moe and I have to restart Unity.
    - D3D12 lowers the framerate a lot, at least in the editor, and gives a new error about not being able to generate mipmaps for array textures (it doesn't say which texture/asset is causing this). The new error doesn't seem to cause any side effects though, and the built version seems to perform more normally than the editor version.

Is anyone else getting the vulkan slowdowns? Its making me worry about my future for-linux builds

48. eizenhorn

eizenhorn

+1 on 2019.3.0f6

49. big_march

big_march

+1 on 2019.3.0f6
    Not often, Occasionally.

50. FargleBargle

FargleBargle

Just an update on my experience with this issue: I just added Vegetation Studio Pro to a test project, and their prerequisites included selecting .Net 4.x in Player Settings, and adding Mathematics, Jobs, Collections, Burst, and Post Processing (v2) in the Package Manager. After doing all of that, I stopped getting any errors when using particles...

Edit: And it's back. It seems it just went away for a while to get my hopes up... before returning to crush them. I guess we're back waiting for Unity to fix this in some hypothetical future release.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2020
    xDavidLeon and hertz-rat like this.