Search Unity

1. Unity 2019.2 is now released.
    Dismiss Notice

2018.3.0b7 and HDRP 4.x

Discussion in '2018.3 Beta' started by sstrong, Oct 29, 2018.

1. sstrong

sstrong

In a recent blog the following statement was made:

"We also developed terrain shaders for both the HD and LW render pipelines, available in package versions 4.0.0 or later"

Is HDRP, LWRP v4.x packages expected to be available in the 2018.3 beta cycle? In beta 7, it seems like the latest is 3.3.0.

2. Fuzzy

Fuzzy

using b7 the package manager lists me version 4.0.1 of the render pipelines.

3. sstrong

sstrong

4. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape Moderator

Click advanced, show preview packages. Failing that, add staging to manifest (easily found with a search)

5. sstrong

sstrong

Finally worked it out. Had to click Advanced, Show preview packages.

6. sstrong

sstrong

Thanks. Got it. It's odd, given that I'm already looking at a preview version that I have to also turn that on. But I guess that is how Unity designed it. :)

laurentlavigne and hippocoder like this.
  7. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape Moderator

I haven't really thought about it much, just stab stuff with my mouse until results fall out.

sstrong likes this.
  8. greg-harding

greg-harding

Golden Unity tip and life lesson.

9. Paddington_Bear

Paddington_Bear

Had a quick fiddle with the new terrain shader. Not enough time really dive in but from memory: we've got a 3 map pbr workflow, really standard stuff. A couple of parameters but nothing too groundbreaking. 8 layers in a single pass and per pixel norms is really nice.

That said, its bizarre to me that UT is happy sitting 5 years behind the competition when it comes to their terrain solutions. There's probably a lot more going on under the bonnet, but why not ship a better terrain.lit shader? I'll never understand their decision making process.

10. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape Moderator

I'm more interested in what they draw on top of it. If you look at book of the dead, it's just a brown blob under all that...

Paddington_Bear likes this.
  11. Paddington_Bear

Paddington_Bear

Fair point. It's a shame things go this way though, the glory days of belt-and-braces shading seem to be behind us (oh CryEngine) and now its all atmo scattering and lighting black magic

hippocoder likes this.
  12. Lurking-Ninja

Lurking-Ninja

They did not. It's a bug (the preview package and show preview thingy). AFAIK they know about it and they will fix it eventually. Although of course you always can follow up with them and submit a bug report about it. ;)

13. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

They fixed it in Package manager 2.0.2