Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

[2018.3.0b2] PlayerSettings.apiCompatibilityLevel is reset when upgrading Project

Discussion in '2018.3 Beta' started by Korbinian, Sep 21, 2018.

1. Korbinian

Korbinian

The apiCompatibilityLevel is reset to NET_Standard_2_0 when upgrading the project to 2018.3.0b2.

Repro:
    - Create new project with 2018.2.6f1
    - Set Scripting Runtime Version to .NET 4.x Equivalent (in Menu -> Edit -> Project Settings -> Player)
    - Perform the editor restart. Confirm that the Api Compatibility Level has changed to .NET 4.x as well
    - Close Editor, open the Project with 2018.3.0b2, confirm the upgrade warning
    -> The api compatibility level has reset to .NET Standard 2.0 (in Menu -> Edit -> Settings -> Player)
    When saving the project, ProjectSettings.asset accordingly has changed:
    - apiCompatibilityLevel: 3
    + apiCompatibilityLevel: 6

LeonhardP likes this.
  2. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

Can you submit a bug report with this workflow? We will correct it.

3. Korbinian

Korbinian

Done: 1083445

Also:
    - The "apiCompatibilityLevel: 3" in my ProjectSettings seems to be ignored anyway? I need to set the apiCompatibilityLevelPerPlatform now (which is the default that happens in the UI), but a problem for upgrading.
    - When I *don't* have an apiCompatibilityLevelPerPlatform set then the build is getting the DLLs from Editor\Data\MonoBleedingEdge\lib\mono\unityaot -- note that I'm not creating an IL2CPP build. When I set the platform specific setting I get the correct DLLs from monojit instead. That's how I found the problems initially, we were suddenly getting ReflectionTypeLoadException when getting the types from System.dll (since it loads System.Configuration.dll, and the aot version is only a reference assembly)

I can create another bug report with that, doesn't seem directly related.

4. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

Yes, please create another bug report. It looks like Unity is using the wrong .NET profile implementation.

5. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

Thanks a lot Korbinian,
    This is really helpful!

6. Deeeds

Deeeds

Switching to .NET 4.x broke my project for standalone builds on Mac. They crash immediately, regardless of being compiled with Mono or ILCP2

7. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

Any chance we could get a bug report + repro for that?

8. Deeeds

Deeeds

I left a note for Josh Peterson to contact me if he needs anything, before writing the above.

It crashes so fast there's no report come up. Just brutal. I think he probably knows about it, as I haven't heard from him.

9. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

@Deeeds

Does the editor or the player crash? It sounds like it might be the player. If so, you should able to submit a bug report via the editor and include the project used to build the player. Then we can build the player and see the problem ourselves.

10. Deeeds

Deeeds

The project is a myriad of messes, and I've moved to a leaner version, and backed off on builds so I can continue working...

I could, but it's time I don't have... so I've gone back to Mono, which builds FAST. Shockingly so.