Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

2018.3.0 b6 conflicts with Incremental Compiler ! [solution within]

Discussion in '2018.3 Beta' started by Vagabond_, Oct 18, 2018.

1. Vagabond_

Vagabond_

Hi, i just downloaded b6 and opened a project which was working good in b5.
    I created a new project and at first it is fine. Then i installed the Incremental Compiler and i got the same error in the new empty project as in the project i am working on !

Code (CSharp):
    1. MissingFieldException: Field 'UnityEditor.Scripting.Compilers.ScriptCompilerBase._island' not found.
    2. UnityEditor.Scripting.Compilers.ScriptCompilerBase.BeginCompiling () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/Scripting/Compilers/ScriptCompilerBase.cs:69)
    3. UnityEditor.Scripting.ScriptCompilation.CompilationTask.QueuePendingAssemblies () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/Scripting/ScriptCompilation/CompilationTask.cs:236)
    4. UnityEditor.Scripting.ScriptCompilation.CompilationTask.Poll () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/Scripting/ScriptCompilation/CompilationTask.cs:143)
    5. UnityEditor.Scripting.ScriptCompilation.EditorCompilation.CompileScriptAssemblies (UnityEditor.Scripting.ScriptCompilation.ScriptAssembly[] scriptAssemblies, UnityEditor.Scripting.ScriptCompilation.ScriptAssemblySettings scriptAssemblySettings, System.String tempBuildDirectory, UnityEditor.Scripting.ScriptCompilation.EditorScriptCompilationOptions options, UnityEditor.Scripting.ScriptCompilation.CompilationTaskOptions compilationTaskOptions, UnityEditor.Scripting.ScriptCompilation.EditorCompilation+CompileScriptAssembliesOptions compileScriptAssembliesOptions) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/Scripting/ScriptCompilation/EditorCompilation.cs:1075)
    6. UnityEditor.Scripting.ScriptCompilation.EditorCompilation.CompileScripts (UnityEditor.Scripting.ScriptCompilation.ScriptAssemblySettings scriptAssemblySettings, System.String tempBuildDirectory, UnityEditor.Scripting.ScriptCompilation.EditorScriptCompilationOptions options, UnityEditor.Scripting.ScriptCompilation.EditorBuildRules+TargetAssembly[]& notCompiledTargetAssemblies, System.String[]& notCompiledScripts) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/Scripting/ScriptCompilation/EditorCompilation.cs:973)
    7. UnityEditor.Scripting.ScriptCompilation.EditorCompilation.CompileScripts (UnityEditor.Scripting.ScriptCompilation.EditorScriptCompilationOptions options, UnityEditor.BuildTargetGroup platformGroup, UnityEditor.BuildTarget platform) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/Scripting/ScriptCompilation/EditorCompilation.cs:863)
    8. UnityEditor.Scripting.ScriptCompilation.EditorCompilationInterface+<CompileScripts>c__AnonStorey2.<>m__0 () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/Scripting/ScriptCompilation/EditorCompilationInterface.cs:258)
    9. UnityEditor.Scripting.ScriptCompilation.EditorCompilationInterface.EmitExceptionAsError[T] (System.Func`1[TResult] func, T returnValue) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/Scripting/ScriptCompilation/EditorCompilationInterface.cs:97)
    10. UnityEditor.Scripting.ScriptCompilation.EditorCompilationInterface:CompileScripts(EditorScriptCompilationOptions, BuildTargetGroup, BuildTarget)
    EDIT 1: i am able to clear the console and start the game but the scripts could not be loaded.
    EDIT 2: i closed the editor and went and deleted both Incremental Compiler and TextMeshPro packages and removed them from the manifest file and the project seems to run now!

Last edited: Oct 18, 2018
  2. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Incremental compiler breaks project completely. Only removal will fix it. Please sync these things unity!

3. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

If anyone would be so kind to report here when it's working and what version, that would be awesome, thanks!

4. nbelkin

nbelkin

same problem

5. thelebaron

thelebaron

yep also got these problems on upgrading a project as well as testing with a brand new project with just packages

6. Prodigga

Prodigga

Same issue, project completely broken and wont compile. Reverting to b5 for now.

7. mgmhunt

mgmhunt

8. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

We have a fix for this issue in review. For now the only workaround is to remove the Incremental Compiler. I'll update here once I know more.

9. Skelly1983

Skelly1983

Can confirm same issue, there was also no Package Manager, so needed to remove Incremental Compiler from the packages manifest.json file.

10. scvnathan

scvnathan

Can I just say I think the decision to deliver the Package Manager UI as a package itself was probably a bad call. Too often script errors break the PM UI which can confuse users (not you skelly :) ), especially when the only way to fix the error is to remove a package. Sorry for the unrelated comment.

11. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Are there other alternatives to making it built in? Packages being modular and updated independently of editor is amazingly powerful (when it works!)

12. Prodigga

Prodigga

Wait so... We will need to make sure we upgraded the incremental compiler in b5 prior to openning up b6 because b6 won't compile which means we can't access the package manager? We can't remove IC as we make use of new C# features.

13. 5argon

5argon

Whoa I just did like 10 combinations of Reimport before I found this thread. Moreover I just press uninstalled b5 from the hub. This issue also seems to makes LWRP compiled to pink with this error

"Shader error in 'Lightweight Render Pipeline/Terrain/Lit': failed to open source file:"

14. Dom_Laflamme

Dom_Laflamme

Unity Technologies

Hello,
    Incremental Compiler version 0.0.42-preview.23 was updated to support 2018.3B6.

Let me know if you still experience issues.

Dom

15. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Thanks!

Works fine :)

Last edited: Oct 22, 2018
    MadeFromPolygons likes this.
  16. Vagabond_

Vagabond_

It still says preview 21 for me in the package manager. How to get preview 23 ?
    I am using b6 !

upload_2018-10-23_12-28-37.png

17. iamarugin

iamarugin

Same problem here

18. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

19. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

Still have this problem in 2018.3 .b7

deus0, Accky and VOTRUBEC like this.
  20. deus0

deus0

When will version 23 be released into regular environment? Tried with b7 and still doesn't work too.

21. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

0.0.42-preview.23 works fine. You need to have package manager set to show preview packages / add staging to manifest (do a search, it's simple).

LeonhardP and Lars-Steenhoff like this.
  22. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

It's simple but not obvious for a user that they have to enable staging, thanks for the tip!

{
    "dependencies": {

"com.unity.incrementalcompiler": "0.0.42-preview.23",
    },
    "registry": "https://staging-packages.unity.com"
    }

Last edited: Oct 25, 2018
    hippocoder likes this.
  23. illuminati_systemd_NWO

illuminati_systemd_NWO

If any of you can't still get it to work...
    1. Open <project folder>/Packages/manifest.json
    2. Insert this

Just before closing bracket, so file should look like this:

{
      "dependencies": {
      (some deps omitted...)
      },
      }
    3. (In same file) Change or add in "dependiences" (better on top):
      "com.unity.incrementalcompiler": "0.0.42-preview.21" to ...
      "com.unity.incrementalcompiler": "0.0.42-preview.23",
    4. Turn back to editor, if there are compiler errors, remove Library folder (in project folder), and try again
    5. Profit
    Based on:

Last edited: Oct 26, 2018
  24. ckuklis45

ckuklis45

Why am I getting so many errors with LWRP?

Annotation.png

25. Dom_Laflamme

Dom_Laflamme

Unity Technologies

0.0.42-preview.24 was released yesterday in the official registry. This version is compatible with both 2018.2 and 2018.3
    cheers!

26. iamarugin

iamarugin

27. eizenhorn

eizenhorn

2018.3.0b6 works fine, switching to 2018.3.0b8 breaks project :) IC not updated to b8 support? :)
    upload_2018-11-5_11-21-48.png

28. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

@eizenhorn even after updating incremental compiler to 0.0.42-preview.24 manually? It definitely works on b8 on my end.

29. Vagabond_

Vagabond_

I am on b8 and just installed preview.24 - no errors !

30. eizenhorn

eizenhorn

Yep forgot update IC previously, waiting recompile

Edit: Yep works fine on 0.0.42-preview.25

Last edited: Nov 5, 2018
  31. Qbit86

Qbit86

I have similar error on 2018.3.0b8 (Android, IL2CPP, .NET 4.x), but I haven't enabled incremental compiler.

Code (csharp):
    1. MissingFieldException: Field 'UnityEditor.Scripting.Compilers.ScriptCompilerBase._island' not found.
    2.   at UnityEditor.Scripting.ScriptCompilation.CompilationTask.Poll () [0x0013b] in C:\buildslave\unity\build\Editor\Mono\Scripting\ScriptCompilation\CompilationTask.cs:120
    3.   at UnityEditor.Scripting.ScriptCompilation.EditorCompilation.PollCompilation () [0x00013] in C:\buildslave\unity\build\Editor\Mono\Scripting\ScriptCompilation\EditorCompilation.cs:1325
    4.   at UnityEditor.Scripting.ScriptCompilation.EditorCompilationInterface.<PollCompilation>m__2 () [0x00005] in C:\buildslave\unity\build\Editor\Mono\Scripting\ScriptCompilation\EditorCompilationInterface.cs:337
    5.   at UnityEditor.Scripting.ScriptCompilation.EditorCompilationInterface.EmitExceptionAsError[T] (System.Func`1[TResult] func, T returnValue) [0x00003] in C:\buildslave\unity\build\Editor\Mono\Scripting\ScriptCompilation\EditorCompilationInterface.cs:97
    /cc @JoshPeterson

32. MNNoxMortem

MNNoxMortem

Same error as Qbit86 in Unity 2018.2.18f1 (Windows, Editor, .NET 4.7.2). There also is no package manager ui. Happens with both "com.unity.incrementalcompiler": "0.0.42-preview.21" and staging as well as "com.unity.incrementalcompiler": "0.0.42-preview.24",

Update: Was able to fix it by removing the incremential compiler, postprocessing, let it run, add staging and preview.29. Then readded postprocessing (likely it was just one of the package it failed to generate and its not related to postprocessing).

Last edited: Dec 4, 2018