Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

2018.2b09 Sprite importer colorbleed regression

Discussion in '2018.2 Beta' started by pointcache, Jun 24, 2018.

1. pointcache

pointcache

2018.1b12

Color bleeds properly detecting black outline

2018.2b9

Color bleeds grey instead of black, for some reason happens only with PSD imported, as the plant on the right is a png.

2. pointcache

pointcache

Also compression quality degraded

2018.1b12

High compression quality

2018.2b9

High compression quality

Notice how the middle ship colors got busted by compression, my guess is that because of the colorbleed having more complex results it is left with less budget on the parts that actually matter.

3. ColossalPaul

ColossalPaul

Unity Technologies

Let us take a look.. Thanks for reporting this!

4. Venkify

Venkify

Unity Technologies

@pointcache Could you please submit a bug with the repro project/scene/asset please ? This would be helpful to analyze the issue.

5. pointcache

pointcache

6. Deeeds

Deeeds

Just so you don't feel alone, I came across this, too.

And another oddity, the color mode was changed. From linear to gamma, from one beta to the next. Something I've never touched, and had to ask around before finding what and how, and have subsequently forgotten even where it is.

7. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

We're
    We're having trouble reproducing this issue. It would be great if you could submit a report + repro project for it too.

8. Deeeds

Deeeds

Which "issue"? I consider there to be at least four:

1. PSD imports aren't nearly reliable between versions, bewildering differences in how gradients are handled

2. Compression fidelity shifting between versions, more than once, with simple .png files

3. Different handlings of alpha in .png files from one version to the next, for no apparent reason

4. Switches between linear and gamma color modes between versions

9. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

I was referring to the .psd issues with transparent pixels this thread was originally about. But it seems this problem was already reproduced and confirmed with a previous report.

https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/is...arent-pixels-when-using-files-made-with-krita

However, it doesn't reproduce consistently with all similar assets. It would still help if you could submit a report with .psd files which are affected. If you do, please write '1043833' as the bug description and reply in here with the Issue ID of your report.

For the other issues you're describing I'd advise you to submit reports as well. This will increase the likelihood of QA following up on them.

10. Deeeds

Deeeds

Part of my reticence is that I'm too new to Unity to know which is right and which is wrong. All I see is that they're different from version to version, then I waste hours and days trying to figure out if it's something I've done (my first and increasingly incorrect assumption) before finding ways to get it to do what I want, and look the way I want. At that point, I move on, terrified of reproducing the problem in dire fear I won't be able to get it working (the way I want) again because it's been so incredibly painful and arduous getting to where it's "right", for me.

Along the way, I'm burning through time that should be spent on doing, not floundering.