Search Unity

1. Are you interested in providing feedback directly to Unity teams? Sign up to become a member of Unity Pulse, our new product feedback and research community.
    Dismiss Notice

2018.2 sees a Plugins folder in persistantDataPath, hilarity ensues

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Bradamante, Aug 3, 2018.

1. Bradamante

Bradamante

Upgrade project from 2017.2 to 2018.2. Since my game support modding, I have a Plugins folder in Application.persistantDataPath. Just for testing and all. I.e. /Users/My Name/Library/Application Support/Company Name/Game Name/Plugins/Testing/

All fine in 2017.2. In 2018.2 apparently the Unity Editor thinks it's just hilarious to delete the contents of that folder. My exported Asset Bundles? Gone.

But wait ... It's not over. Also in persistantDataPath where my save files. In a folder called Pilots. That one's completely gone. The save games I created to test my game? Gone.

Is this the intended behavior?

2. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

Unity Technologies

Thank goodness you have a backup! Otherwise it wouldn't be quite so hilarious. But seriously, at what point do the files go missing, at project load or at runtime?

3. Bradamante

Bradamante

Can't say really. Was testing my game in the Editor in play mode when I noticed that my plugin selection menu and my save game selection menu did not display any content anymore. Then went and noticed that the folder have changed or are missing.

By the way I don't like the attitude that you and other Unity representatives express by immediately pointing at backups that an end user is supposedly to make. Been using Unity for six years now and never saw something like this. I don't think I am to blame for not expecting the inexpectable.

4. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape Moderator

At no point did the Unity staff member intend any blame. The intention was to be friendly as you used a light-hearted choice of words in your topic title.

You are not to blame but please file a bug report if you feel communications have broken down.

I will close this thread if you feel that this issue is about staff attitude and not the plugins folder. It is up to you to remain on topic.

unityunity