Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

2018.2 - Cannot connect to package manager

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by urrmurrmur, Oct 15, 2018.

1. urrmurrmur

urrmurrmur

Hi,

Ever since upgrading to Unity 2018 I can no longer open any projects (new or existing). I get stuck on connecting to the package manager, which eventually times out. I've found quite a bit of info on similar problems online. Two examples:

https://answers.unity.com/questions/1423264/unity-20172-not-workingunity-package-manager-error.html
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/can...unity-package-manager-starting-server.483092/

Most threads are centered around one of two things:
    • Some firewall or antivirus setting which is blocking the package manager connection. However, I have disabled my Windows Firewall and Windows Defender, and to the best of my knowledge I have no other antivirus software running.
    • Some proxy setting related to the UNITY_NOPROXY environment variable being set incorrectly. However, this problem is allegedly fixed in 2018 and I do not have this variable set. And even if I set it to 127.0.0.1, as instructed, nothing changes.
    I have submitted a bug report about a week ago but have not heard back, so I thought I'd try my luck here. Below is my editor.log file, if that could be of any use.

I'm almost certain the problem must be due to some local setting on my machine, but I can't find any place that has a clear error message to steer my in the right direction. If anyone has any suggestions on where to start looking, it's be very much appreciated.

2. urrmurrmur

urrmurrmur

I've done some more experimenting and it turns out the problem started in version 2017.4.2f1.

I can create and open projects in 2017.4.1f1 and earlier versions, but all versions after that get stuck on opening the package manager. However, I cannot find anything that might explain this in the patch notes for 2017.4.2.

3. urrmurrmur

urrmurrmur

I just tried the latst version (2018.2.13f1), no change. Any suggestions?

4. JIgnacioTel

JIgnacioTel

I had the same problem and finally got a solution.

The Unity Package Manager uses the node js server. Unity is not the only one that uses that server. For example, Atom editor uses it to handle its Package Manager.

After trying all the usual stuff (deleting the AppData files, tweaking the antivirus, the firewall, the host file, etc), I wondered whether there could be a conflict between the node js in Atom and the one in Unity (for example: overwriting whatever values in the registry). So I uninstalled Atom :(, installed Unity again, and voilà, it worked :D

I'd check if there's some program with package management using node js as server. The conflict could lie there.

5. lxy437101392

lxy437101392

According to the information of the window about error, it may be helpful to close the firewall of your OS. My friend solved the problem in this way.