Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

2018.2 b1 Unworkable on Mac

Discussion in '2018.2 Beta' started by Deeeds, Apr 19, 2018.

1. Deeeds

Deeeds

There's input bugs in Editor panels that cripple usability.

These bugs are worst in Project and Hierarchy panels, but occur in all panels, to varying degrees.

Inputing and editing values is somehow broken, in panel fields. The arrow keys, for example, only partially work, sometimes creating garbage. The backspace key doesn't work at all.

I have no other languages installed, only the one you're currently reading. Yet the Up and Left arrows create what looks like Thai symbols in Editor Fields.

And it just gets weirder from there.

My Mac version is the latest beta, and everything was fine and very stable in 2018.1 b13 (and b12 and b11 before that).

2. Deeeds

Deeeds

Further to this, installing 2018.2 overwrote my 2018.1 b13 install.

Can someone please explain how to use the Unity downloader and installer so new betas can coexist with older betas?

3. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

Same issues here, uninstalled and reinstalled 2018.1b13 for ow

Deeeds likes this.
  4. M_R

M_R

either:
    1) use the Hub
    2) move the installation from /Applications/Unity to something else (e.g. /Applications/Unity_<Version>) before installing the new version

MechEthan and charlesb_rm like this.
  5. elbows

elbows

I've not had this issue yet, I wonder what the triggering factors are. I am on macOS 10.13.4.

6. Deeeds

Deeeds

Can I do it the other way?

ie install the newest beta somewhere else and keep the "working" Unity version in my Apps folder?

7. Deeeds

Deeeds

What does the Hub provide in terms of install options that permit keeping both versions?

8. M_R

M_R

unfortunately, the installer doesn't let you choose the path. (at least it didn't before I switched to the hub)
    what you can do is:
    - move the old install away (e.g. to /Applications/UnityOld)
    - install the new version
    - rename the new install (e.g. /Applications/Unity -> /Applications/UnityNew)
    - move back the old install to /Applications/Unity

Unity Hub will completely manage the installation process (i.e. replacing the default installer), and it will keep all versions you wish to keep (in /Applications/Unity/Hub/Editor/<version>), also letting you to uninstall them and modify the installation (e.g. to add platforms). versions that you already have (or install manually) you can locate them from the hub (it will not manage those though)

also the hub will open a project with the correct version of Unity, if you have it installed. if not, it will prompt you to install the correct version or open the project with another version.

ps: the Hub is currently in preview and some people have issues. I didn't have any though, and the workflow improved greatly for me.

before the hub was released, I used this command line tool to manage multiple versions (only for a short period though)

9. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

Could you please submit a bug report if you're affected by this and reply in here with the case #?

10. Deeeds

Deeeds

Personally, it was so bad that Unity was unusable. Because Unity's installer overwrote the version of Unity that was working for me, I deleted it as fast as I could to get back to using a working version, and immediately re-downloaded the older b13 of 2018.1, so I could get back to being creative and productive. Well, as much as I can be...

Then I found it (2018.2) had done something weird to my Xcode that caused Mac builds to instantly crash with the older 2018.1 b13 once it was reinstalled. So I spent the rest of the night (and most of today) getting things to work and build correctly.

I think, at this point, it's probably wise to warn Mac users that this is a pretty dire problem, and make an effort to show them how to retain their current Unity install and workflow. Otherwise they're going to lose time, humour and goodwill towards the Unity leviathan.

11. Deeeds

Deeeds

Also... yes, I did file a bug report:

Case 1027873

LeonhardP likes this.
  12. charlesb_rm

charlesb_rm

thanks, our team will look into it!