Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

2018.1 when?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by blackboneworks, Jan 25, 2018.

1. blackboneworks

blackboneworks

What's up, guys!
    I'm interested in some features of 2018 on linux, so...
    When you guys already make us happy? Any news on this one?

2. danrousseau

danrousseau

Personally ive stopped using Unity until they give us a client that isnt beta release. Unity treats linux users as second class citizens. So i moved to godot engine

wenderRondonia likes this.
  3. blackboneworks

blackboneworks

This is not a solution.

4. rjakob13

rjakob13

Indeed. As long as you can afford it help the development by reporting bugs and spreading the word that a Linux version is wanted. I understand that someone who has to deliver in the near future may not have the patience to do that though.
    The latest version has fixed some very annoying bugs and it only crashed once or twice compared to the previous one which I called the "Crashalot" edition. It is getting better. Unlike the mainstream group Linux users actively have to participate and encourage development but somehow we got used to it, haven't we?

mosaic_school likes this.
  5. Trilunaire

Trilunaire

The last one to compared to the previous version. It just shutdown my computer or heat the processor at it's limit...for your new name: the i7 killer (or tried too)

6. Haydara

Haydara

I am using the Unity 2017.3 in both Ubuntu and Debian and I don't even feel like it is a beta version, I am waiting for version 2018.1 to test all the new futures in Linux.

knobby67 and mosaic_school like this.
  7. oscabrg

oscabrg

+1
    @natosha-bard?
    at least some ETA should be good..
    hope by GDC 2018 we have almost final 2018.1 release for Linux..

8. DominoM

DominoM

Maybe asking about Linux versions in the beta features threads would be more effective? Perhaps the other UT teams already test their stuff on the Linux version, but if not we won't get quick Linux releases until they do..

9. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

Compile a poll of linux users. Right now it seems like they are a tiny minority, and while sure everyone should be catered for, a tiny subset of users will be unlikely to take precedent for a small team of around 150 that unity is (including non-developers) when there are over 5 million developers who use the windows and mac versions.

As a linux user myself, I know its not nice to hear, but if your really serious about development you would get a windows pc on top of that linux pc.

10. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Hi, I would expect that after the official release of 2018.1 - so around March would be a reasonable time for Unity staff to get to porting because things can still change in beta and it seems the editor is a passion project at Unity - best be patient for now. Just my 2p :)

11. DominoM

DominoM

I'm more serious about staying Linux only than I am about using Unity. I prefer to be patient, wait and sometimes pass the time trying to encourage other UT teams to include Linux builds for testing branches. If it's going to become more than a passion project it'll have to happen at some point - if it's not already - I'm kinda assuming the delay is due to porting issues rather than an "only final builds get a linux port" policy.

12. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

No it wont be a "policy" of-course, but it will be supply and demand. Same reason windows took over as king from mac in terms of unity priority. If its not a major issue for you and your not a proffessional then i guess just hang tight, but if its for your job then contact unity so they actually know there are use cases in the industry of people using linux, that may get them to get into gear with this. I think the problem is theres very few linux users in industry operating commercially + funded.