Search Unity

2018.1 SRP and terrains

Discussion in 'World Building' started by JannickL, Apr 13, 2018.

1. JannickL

JannickL

Hi there,
    the HD render pipeline is not supporting terrains at the moment but I want to create a photorealistic biom environment using the megascan (quixel) objects.

How should i create the ground? Should if even use the unity terrain system? The terrain is supported with the lightweight render pipeline but this render pipeline is created for weaker devices should i use it anyway?

Greets

Last edited: Apr 13, 2018
  2. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

You should use classic modelling techniques. I've moved this to the new world building forum from beta / feedback as it's not actually feedback since HDRP doesn't support it as you know.

Some suggestions that you could use part or all of:
    • create a basic mesh floor in probuilder or DCC of choice
    • use HDRP lit (layered) shader to blend various textures together for the "terrain" mesh
    • kitbash the assets by placing them in creative ways

twobob and antoripa like this.
  3. antoripa

antoripa

I can share my experience. So far the only option with HD SRP is creating a bunch of meshes as ground and use the LayeredLit ( w or w/o tessellation ).
    You have even to prepare all the maps for the Lit shader ( M(R) AO(G) D(B) S(A) )
    Graphical quality is excellent But I would not suggest using in production, only for practice or showcase.

4. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Agreed, we are using HDRP but we know exactly what we are doing and keep an eye firmly on github. People just curious or dabbling can expect a few broken bits and lack of supporting certain things :)

antoripa likes this.
  5. JannickL

JannickL

Alright, thank you :)

One more question. The quixel terrain materials contain a displacement map. Is there a native way in 2018.1 to use it? I mean displacement is kind of tessellation or? And as far as i know unity isn't supporting it from default.

Greets

6. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Yes displacement is what you want. There is a choice of pixel or tessellated displacement.

7. JannickL

JannickL

And is there a moderate way to achieve this? I think the default shaders do not support it or? Maybe i can create a shader using the new graph editor? I have seen there is a free tess shader in the asset store for the quixel stuff but that one isn't game ready.

Thank you :)

8. antoripa

antoripa

Do you mean using the default existing render pipeline? In that case, you can find a lot of good options on the asset store, for terrain or meshes

9. Kronnect

Kronnect

How do you deal with LOD? Maybe the thread should be renamed to Garden Building :)

wcoastsands and antoripa like this.
  10. Liminal-Ridges

Liminal-Ridges

Hello, i haven't used 2018.1 yet but i see you are talking about flat terrains, or did proBuilder add terrain tools?

11. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

There are no terrain tools announced yet but do keep an eye on the blog.

Liminal-Ridges likes this.
  12. DREBOTgamestudio

DREBOTgamestudio

Hello, we are started project and look to the future. We want use HDRP but have some troubles with terrain.
    Are you planning to fix the terrain in the future? Becouse if "yes" we will start develop on HDRP and create tarrain when you fix it.
    p.s. I don't find information about terrain on roadmap.

Thank you!

Last edited: Jun 21, 2018
  13. elbows

elbows

The Roadmap talk at Unite today had info about this. I took some screenshots from the stream, see this post for them: #15

14. DREBOTgamestudio

DREBOTgamestudio

Thank you, it's good news for me.