Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

2018.1 b10 Lighting Environment lighting intentisty multiplyer no effect

Discussion in '2018.1 Beta' started by TooManySugar, Mar 17, 2018.

1. TooManySugar

TooManySugar

In the ligthing panel, if I do add Default-Skybox as skybox material and environment ligthing source as skybox it gets really dark, if I move intensity multiplyer it has no effect. Gradient and color mode work fine.

2. TooManySugar

TooManySugar

I just downloaded a set of free HDR skys and environment lighting from skybox seems not to work either. Or at least the slider.

3. TooManySugar

TooManySugar

This can be tested with the project linked in Case 1015770. "Udana" scene.

4. kemalakay

kemalakay

Unity Technologies

Hey @TooManySugar,

I've reviewed your project and realized that there are some issues regarding the lighting setup. I'll try to explain and elaborate why intensity multiplier in Environment Lighting doesn't work in your scene setup:

Essentially, it doesn't work because you're using Realtime Global Illumination and some of your GameObjects in the scene are marked as lightmap static. This means, your lightmap static objects will use realtime lightmaps to simulate indirect illumination with the data generated through your realtime lights (i.e., lights that have indirect multiplier > 0).
    Besides your light sources, environment lighting (ambient light) also contributes lighting data to realtime lightmaps. But in order to be able to use `Indirect Multiplier`, you should generate the lighting first and I can see that you disabled Auto mode (i.e. `Auto Generate` toggle button at the bottom of Lighting Window) and didn't have any Lighting Data asset that contains lighting data. Simply, you are lacking lighting data and it needs to be generated. But the main problem with your scene setup is that you use high indirect resolution and it is well known that Terrain GameObjects doesn't scale well with Realtime GI. So I'd recommend you use really low resolution values for Terrain and maybe globally decrease your indirect resolution to have less clustering data.

Also, I can see that you've five light sources in the scene. Two realtime point lights per car and one directional light (Sun) as the global light source of your scene. First thing I'd suggest is to set indirect multiplier of your points lights to 0 (the light source of cars) to optimize lighting calculation. I think it is totally fine if they just contribute realtime direct lighting in your scene and that would reduce your iteration times for pre-computing your lighting data.

Once you successfully generate your lighting, you can safely adjust `Indirect Multiplier` parameter and tweak the value as you want at runtime.

If the terminology used here is alien to you or if it's confusing, I recommend checking out this tutorial and it can clarify the concepts regarding realtime GI lighting: https://unity3d.com/learn/tutorials...uction-precomputed-realtime-gi?playlist=17102

Alternatively, you can discard indirect illumination and only use direct lighting for you scene. Another thing to consider is to use baked lighting instead of realtime GI lighting. You won't have day and night cycles, but you can have better iteration times and more easily author the indirect illumination of lighting in your scenes. However, that's entirely up to what you want to achieve. I hope this post answers some questions you had in mind.

Thank you

5. TooManySugar

TooManySugar

Thank you very much for the detailed answer. I'm sorry. I'm porting myselft from 4.7 and I may have raised some false alarms :\
    I probably dissbled when it was stuck making a build and left like that :\

6. kemalakay

kemalakay

Unity Technologies

No problem, glad to be able to help :)

7. TooManySugar

TooManySugar

OK I'm facing a somewhat similar issue.

My skybox reflections are black. It behaves as if there was no sky. If I add a cubemap of a baked sky they look really neat but as soon as I turn back to skybox they're black.

From what I read here:
    https://unity3d.com/es/learn/tutorials/topics/graphics/reflections

this should work out of the box without any bake right?

M_R_M likes this.
  8. TooManySugar

TooManySugar

Here a realtime probe lit :
    upload_2018-3-27_1-4-9.png

This is cubemap , when I set Environment Reflection Source to Custom
    upload_2018-3-27_1-6-59.png

This is when I set Environment reflection to Skybox (default skybox)

9. TooManySugar

TooManySugar

It was not attached in previous msg

Attached Files: