Search Unity

2018.1.2f1 particle pivot issues

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by jimmyjamesbond, May 30, 2018.

1. jimmyjamesbond

jimmyjamesbond

Couple things I've noticed that have kind of messed up a lot of content for our game.

Did the particle pivot axis change?

Using size over life doesn't take the pivot into consideration anymore. Seems to emit and scale to the pivot location now? (make speed 0, turn on size over life, move the pivot, sadness)

Maybe I'm just confused and this is how it's supposed to behave?

2. richardkettlewell

richardkettlewell

Unity Technologies

The pivot offset is a percentage of the particle size. So a value of 0.5 should place the pivot on one side of the particle billboard.

As its size changes, this should remain true.

If you think this isn’t happening, you may want to submit a bug report so we can take a closer look at your exact use case.

3. jimmyjamesbond

jimmyjamesbond

That seems to be working like that. Not sure if that's how it was behaving in 2017. Will have to check.

The pivot is not the same however. I had offsets in Z and now Y is doing what Z used to be doing.

4. jimmyjamesbond

jimmyjamesbond

Just opened 2017 and 2018 side-by-side. Pivots used to be incorrect. Z and Y were flipped. The weird size thing I was seeing was because the mesh pivot was now scaling from the wrong axis. Well, now the correct axis.

Now to write a script to find all assets with pivot offsets and swap y and z as well as re-export mesh used in particles and swap their axis' as well.

richardkettlewell likes this.
  5. kokaku-r

kokaku-r

hello. jimmyjamesbond.

i'm faced with the same problem... :(
    >as re-export mesh used in particles and swap their axis' as well.

What kind of tool is this?
    thank you.