Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

2017.3rc1 bug on www and webrequests

Discussion in '2017.3 Beta' started by creat327, Dec 6, 2017.

1. creat327

creat327

Hi

I downloaded it to give it a try and basically used it for 30 minutes because it broke all WWW and unity web request calls.
    I use it extensively to make rest-api calls and send out json, all servers kept returning that I was sending out NULL info.
    Rolled back to 2017.2 and everything works again.

2. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

Hi creat327,
    Could you please submit a bug report with a minimal reproduction project and reply in here with the case #?

3. creat327

creat327

nope i can't because it has private info for my http request but i sent you a PM with a simple code to test it

4. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

Good news, the issue has been fixed for 2018.1.0b1. I don't know yet whether it will be fixed in 2017.3.0f3 as well.

5. Prodigga

Prodigga

Just to clarify, WWW and UnityWebRequest are entirely broken on the release candidates of Unity 2017.3? Because it begs the question - how on earth did this get past all the unit tests? The implications are deeply concerning.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2017
  6. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

We suspect that the issue reported here is a duplicate of this bug, whose fix is currently prepared to be backported to 2017.3.

If this is the case, the issue can be worked around by using UnityWebRequest with chunkedTransfer set to false instead of WWW. QA has yet to confirm this.

7. creat327

creat327

yeah i wonder the same. I couldn't get one single rest api to work so I'm amazed nobody saw it at QA

8. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

I often wonder if it would help if we could provide test-cases as well. I actually started a thread regarding this a while ago:
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/how-to-contribute-tests-for-unitys-automated-testing.501841/

That way, we could write tests for things that are important to us and UT could just add them. Both parties would benefit from that. Leonhard, any thoughts on this?

Last edited: Dec 14, 2017
    Prodigga and scvnathan like this.
  9. scvnathan

scvnathan

A great idea. It would be nice if there was a streamlined way to contribute tests. Perhaps Unity could open a Github repo to the public?

Edit: We're seeing now how inefficient it is to rely on a single party to maintain software which includes so many APIs. The more that Unity open-sources allowing and actively encouraging people to contribute, the more stable it will become. And I'm glad to see Unity taking steps to open-source what it can.

Peter77 likes this.
  10. paddywwoof

paddywwoof

Been trying to get WWW/unityWebRequest working for hours Yesterday (see https://answers.unity.com/questions/1442728/is-there-a-trick-to-getting-www-to-work.html) At first I was running on 2017.2 but upgraded to 2017.3 to see if that fixed it. I also added www.chunkedTransfer = false; but still not working. Very frustrating.

PS just tried running stripped down version with 2017.2 and changed url name to end /val.html instead of /val.txt and kept chunkedTransfer false and it does work, if any of that is relevant.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2017
  11. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

Could you please submit a bug report with a reproduction project for this issue and reply in here with the case #? Sounds like a different issue than the one that creat327 described, since that can be circumvented.

12. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

You are more than welcome to submit tests! For now there won't be a public repository or anything like that, though. The recommended approach for submitting tests would be to use the bug reporter, as @superpig already mentioned in your original thread. Please keep in mind that our internal graphics, performance and integration test suits are using a different framework than the one we ship with Unity, so user written tests for those areas won't be integratable.

Peter77 likes this.
  13. Aurimas-Cernius

Aurimas-Cernius

Unity Technologies

And that is completely fine based on the code you provided. The exactly same URL (with .txt) does not work in web browser either.
    You should always check the error flags for either WWW or UnityWebRequest!

14. creat327

creat327

that seems like a server issue if .html works and .txt doesn't. Probably your server is blocking the .txt extension. Not unity fault.