Search Unity

1. We would like to hear your feedback about Unity and our products. Click here for more information.
    Dismiss Notice

2017.3 Editor overhead performance degradation ?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by SBS_User, Dec 22, 2017.

1. SBS_User

SBS_User

I did not noticed this kind of behavior in 2017.2. It does not matter if I run it in maximized or in editor. FYI its VR game project.

SaSha_K likes this.
  2. snacktime

snacktime

I had that same thing happen on PC using the latest 2017.3. But it only happened once so no clue what triggered it.

3. SBS_User

SBS_User

Installed patch one. More or less stable now. Also noticed that windows defender realtime protection messes up with Unity. had to turn it off.

4. Gruguir

Gruguir

I'm also seeing that issue. Will try p1 ( edit : p1 didn't help). it's really annoying as i was working specifically on optimisation using profiler, and it makes it difficult to read.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2017
  5. esteban16108

esteban16108

I'm seeing this all the time... after some time testing my game in the Editor it starts lagging, so I open the profiler and find out that it's the EditorOverhead taking all the CPU

6. erre-rox

erre-rox

Any news about this? I've tried to update to 2017.3.0p4 but the problem still exists.

7. MJost

MJost

I got the same issue and it makes it impossible to work on the balancing :(
    Tried every patch (1-4) and also beta 2018.1.b2, nothing helped. Issue is there most of the time. There are times where it runs normal, but 80% of the time I'm looking at 3FPS instead of 60...

upload_2018-2-4_10-48-21.png

8. MostHated

MostHated

Glad I'm not the only one. It seems to keep getting worse each day.

9. castor76

castor76

The same here! 24ms editor overhead..without scene view opened. nothing selected in the editor

10. mster50-2

mster50-2

Adding to this, happens to me as well, frequently.

11. Gruguir

Gruguir

and... no reaction from UT staff ?

12. GPSTVR

GPSTVR

The same problem for me, really annoying upgraded to 2017.3.1f1 problem still here...

13. castor76

castor76

The same with 2017.3.1.p1

14. YondernautsGames

YondernautsGames

I've been getting it for a while. Currently on 2017.3.1f1 and it decimates my framerate. I was also getting it on 5.6, which is why i updated.

The only thing I can think of that could be doing it is that fairly soon before it started I did a pass of adding OnValidate to a lot of my behaviours, since I am looking to distribute them to other developers and want them to be relatively bomb proof. One thing I do occasionally is add optional references:

Code (CSharp):
    1. public class OnValidateTest : MonoBehaviour
    2. {
    3.     [SerializeField] private RigidBody m_RigidBody;
    5.     void OnValidate ()
    6.     {
    7.         if (m_RigidBody == null)
    8.             m_RigidBody = GetComponent<RigidBody> ();
    9.     }
    10. }
    I think I saw this done in the UNet source, and thought it was a good idea. It allows more flexibility than getting the reference in Awake, but means that when the user first attaches the component it automatically fills out the reference. It might be that this is a terrible plan.

Once I have some time, I will go through and comment out all of these and report back on whether it had anything to do with it. I just wanted to post it in case it's similar to what anybody else is doing here.

15. YondernautsGames

YondernautsGames

Nope. I went through and removed all OnValidates from my own code, but the performance hit was still there. There is no performance impact if I have nothing selected with inspector components other than transform. I'm not using any custom editors, or external code assets that can be affecting the inspector either. Completely stumped.

twobob likes this.
  16. castor76

castor76

In my case, when I tried to profile the Editor itself, it was doing something like finding gameobject with some specific tags.. Not sure if this has anything got to do with the slow down... the search was actually under the editor overhead, nothing to do with my own code or game. Some people says it is DX11. I am yet to try the force opengl solution. :(

Still the same issue with 2017.3.1.p2

17. essimoon2

essimoon2

Have the same problem but so far I'm the only one in my team and slowly going mad because of it :'D
    The editor becomes ridiculously slow, expecially when I work in the animation window or shuriken.
    Have to reboot the PC to fix it each time :/

18. opponent019_unity

opponent019_unity

I'm having the same issues, even with latest 2018 beta :/
    Doesn't matter if it's DX11 or OpenGL for me. I tried importing my files in new project and still; I'm only working with 2 shaders although they're a bit heavy it shouldn't be doing this. I wouldn't mind to share them with someone looking for a solution. Even after taking everything out the fps is still like 70 tops when there's nothing in the scene.

Specs: laptop Lenovo y510
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GeForce GTX 960m (2GB)
    i7-4720HQ @2.6GHz

19. Artaani

Artaani

Same here.
    9000 ms Editor Overhead in big VR project!
    Worked fine in 2017.1 and 5.6
    Performance of Unity becoming worse and worse : (

20. Artaani

Artaani

Last edited: Mar 17, 2018
  21. BoaNeo

BoaNeo

Just for completeness, this is not a DX issue, or a windows issue for that matter. I'm seeing the same on OsX.

It seems 2017.3 is a real lemon. I was getting ready to downgrade to 2017.2 for the third time due to yet another RectTransform bug when I realized that the performance issue I was having was also 2017.3 related.

I guess if you have any type of deadlines or customer-relations to care about you're well advised to stay at least one major version behind the latest.

22. Dizzy-Jump

Dizzy-Jump

same problem :(

23. tzivaeris

tzivaeris

I have the same problem. I use unity 2017.3.1f1.My project has about 20 scenes and it is about 2GB of data.

It seems that I get 98% of EditorOverhead and the editor works with about 3 fps.
    The strange thing is that it starts ok and after 1 hour or so the project becomes unstable and the editor drops frames. I have to import the project files again from the begining and create a new one!

Anyone thinks that my project has flaws?
    Because when I try a new project with a demo scene from another project I see no degradation.

24. AlkisFortuneFish

AlkisFortuneFish

Where is that time spent, if you use Profile Editor and, if necessary, deep profiling?

25. Lesnikus

Lesnikus

What a horror! I switched from 5.6 to 2018.1.0b10 and the editor overhead eats 99%! 1 frame per second! I'm going back to 5.6 ...

Artaani likes this.
  26. tzivaeris

tzivaeris

I think it is my graphic card. I am investigating more....

27. Alex-Makovsky

Alex-Makovsky

I have same problems. Looks like it's a leak in editor. Because after reloading Unity3d I have 1200 FPS on first running of my project, but after first minute of running I have 30-50 FPS and 75% "Editor Overhead" in profile.
    PS I have Unity 2018 beta. Trying to run in 2017.3 - same problems.
    PPS win 10

28. Alex-Makovsky

Alex-Makovsky

UPD: It's strange. I turn off windows firewall and my problem with "editor overhead" was disappeared.

twobob and SaSha_K like this.
  29. m00g00

m00g00

I have a brand new blank scene, new project, nothing loaded. Windows firewall disabled, and editor overhead taking up 7ms. Any word from the staff on this issue??

30. buFFalo94

buFFalo94

Same here on 2017.3.1p1 but when adding Unity installation folder to Window Defender exclusion, the Profiler seems to be more stable but not as stable as it was in 5.6.4px I'm still experiencing some spikes

31. castor76

castor76

The same thing here.. runs at about 30fps on first play (on GTX 970) and then slowly gets worse over time till like 5 fps.
    the build of the game runs like 250 fps...

So this "seems" to be fixed in 2018.2 ??? Oh come on now...! The bug was introduced at 2017.3.. it should be fixed for 2017.3 or 2017.4 (because now it is in LT) This fix should be back ported to all 2017 version!

2018.1.b12 or b13 still has the same problem BTW. So the above issue tracker that saying it is fixed for 2018.1 is something that I am not so sure about.? Can anyone confirm the fix in any version of Unity 2017.x ? or 2018.x ?

This issue has been going on for so long... I am sadly got used to restarting Unity after every 30mins..

32. TheLadyApollo

TheLadyApollo

Same problem here...
    Disabling windows realtime protection really did the trick for me.
    I'm on 2018.1.b013

33. Dokkanosaur

Dokkanosaur

Basically identical situation to @castor76

I'm also running a GTX 970 here. My game usually runs at 200+ FPS but since 2017.3 basically just drops to 5FPS randomly, even on practically empty scenes, while in the editor. Overhead is consuming 95%+, with no traces of why in the deep profiler.

As mentioned above, the build of the game is perfect. This only happens in the editor. It's an incredibly frustrating issue, and seems to pop in and out without warning.

What is going on???

34. IronBeagle_6

IronBeagle_6

Same thing on my end aswell.
    With GTX 1070 working on VR and Editor.Overhead takes everything.

35. AnderX003

AnderX003

If I correctly understood that editorOverpeed takes memory only when working with Unity, and if I compile the game (under Android), then on the phone this problem will not be?

36. Cover-Club-Media

Cover-Club-Media

Same here. I thought it was something on my end for a while, disabled some objects and did some refactoring but this performance sucker won't go away!

37. Filhanteraren

Filhanteraren

Had the same issue, editor overhead taking 98~ %. Had the editor with custom window layout on dual screens and did a reset to default layout. Now it runs good again.

38. Cover-Club-Media

Cover-Club-Media

As you said it does go away when in default. But it appears to return when you try any custom layout. Did that happen to you too?

39. Filhanteraren

Filhanteraren

No, made a new custom layout and it seems to work as usual.

Cover-Club-Media likes this.
  40. Beerfootbandit

Beerfootbandit

I disconnected my internet(phone tethering) and started in offline mode and it worked

41. Robdon

Robdon

I'm getting similar problems, currently on 2018.1.0f2

Randomly, when playing in the editor I get 6fps and it runs too slow to be able to do anything.

Even when my game is just in the menu, the fps is 6.

The only way I can solve this, is to reboot the PC. Restarting just the editor doesn't help.

The rest of the machine is fine, and there is nothing else running in Task Manager.

Looking at the profiler its 'EditorOverhead'.

upload_2018-7-2_12-42-23.png

42. Silly_Rollo

Silly_Rollo

I started getting this too on 2018.1.6f1

43. WorldEater

WorldEater

For anyone having this issue, I have found that having unity scripts open in your IDE while in runtime can cause the application to run MUCH slower. By shutting the IDE down while running, my editor overhead fell by several hundred ms.

Hope this helped someone with this annoying bug.

44. Murgilod

Murgilod

I had this same problem and the source was the most bizarre thing:

If I disabled Shadowplay on my GeForce card, the problem just... went away. Completely. I don't know what it is, but Shadowplay really hates the Unity editor.

45. ShantiGaudreault

ShantiGaudreault

Unity Technologies

Hi,
    I am trying to make sense of this thread. The problem with Editor Overhead is that its a broad category that contains everything that is not strictly the game. Everything the Editor does is in there.

Current workarounds mentioned in this thread:
    • Disable Shadowplay on my GeForce card
    • Shutting down the IDE while in play mode. Which IDE, version and product would help?.
    • Resetting the layouts to default layouts really helped. This would be caused by some layout corruption.
    • Turning off windows defender real time protection.
    • Turning off windows firewall.
    • Not using tethered phone internet, going completely offline or on wifi/wire.
    I would like to be able to narrow it down a bit. We have to investigate quite a bit for some of those and its hard when we cannot reproduce easily.

Anyone, with slowdowns not addressed by the workaround above please file an issue in the issue tracker or at the very least let us know in this thread. Any other workarounds that had success should be mentioned as they point to the root cause.
    2017.4 is our Long Term supported version and problems reported there get fixed.

Also, fixes get released regularly so updating to the most recent 2017.4 LTS version is recommended.
    Thanks
    Shanti

MNNoxMortem likes this.
  46. sonnyb

sonnyb

For me, this workaround works, but this is only because the Default layout does not necessarily show the Scene view.

If the Scene view window is visible (e.g. when using 2 by 3 Layout, or if the Scene view window is popped out separately), I experience high EditorOverhead and my framerate drops when running my game in the Unity Editor.

Additional info:
    • I'm on Unity 2018.2.10f1. I upgraded my project recently and I've only just noticed this issue. (I am upgrading from Unity 2017.3.f1 - I did not notice this issue there.)
    • The other workarounds in this thread did not help.

47. GuardHei

GuardHei

Unity 2018.2.5f1, Mac, same issue. EditorOverHead takes over 160ms.

48. JediNizar

JediNizar

Unity 2018.2.9f1, PC, same issue EditorOverHead takes 60% 15.35ms

49. foxes

foxes

recently updated one of unity editors to version 2017.4.18f1 and began to notice this problem. Аnd additionally in version 2017.4.19f1 audio manager also began to occupy 50%. Total they take a couple of 100% of the busy time in free scene.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2019
  50. alexquare

alexquare

This worked for me, the other solutions mentioned in the thread didn't. I was having this issue with Unity 2018.2.14f1, with the Editor overhead sometimes consuming 99% of CPU, sometimes the game would play at 7.8ms and in the next run at 15ms~16ms without any changes to the project, and never to come back again to the previous fps. But once I got rid of the Scene view the game ran at 5.9ms~6.2ms at all times.