Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

2017.3 Animator Rotation Bug?

Discussion in 'Animation' started by mahu, Feb 2, 2018.

1. mahu

mahu

After upgrading my project to 2017.3f3 I've stumbled upon a weird animator rotation issue.

As the video shows, when I rotate the object using the axis, the Z rotation go to abnormally huge values. This issue does not happen when I translate or scale the object. If I set the value manually on the animation window, the bug does not happen, but if I set the rotation value on the inspector, the bug still happens.

I've tested on a new project and the issue did not happen, I've tried to reimport all assets and downgrade to 2017.3.0f2 and 2017.2.0f3, I've also tried to change the rotation from Euler to Quaternion on the animation window, but none of it worked.

I'm not sure if I'm missing something or it's a legit bug specifically in my project.

Any help will be grealy appreciated, this is causing a major delay in my game development.

[EDIT]
    Some more info:
    Since I use unity collab, I redownloaded the whole project in a new folder, started a new animation and it seemed to solve the problem. However, as soon as I closed and opened unity again, the issue came back.
    Also, I noticed if I type some specific angles, it won't bug. For example: angle 1 bugs, angle 2 does not, angle 3, 4, 5 and 6 bugs, but 7 does not, and so goes on randomly.

I'm gonna send a bug report, this is is really annoying and time wasting trying to solve.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2018
    unrealmitch likes this.
  2. mahu

mahu

I've sent a bug report with my project (Case 997311)
    I have imported the project with unity 2017.1, 2017.2, 2018b.
    The only thing that worked was to rollback the project to unity 5.6.
    I'm now using it until the case is solved.

I'm going to post the resolution here, if there is any, in case anyone got this issue in the future. For now, going back to 5.6 solved it.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2018
  3. daspiela

daspiela

I got the same bug in Unity 2017.3.1f1.
    Only workaround i found was to remember the rotation values for the keyframe and manually set them in the animation properties window (top left in your video) instead of setting them in the transform or in the scene window.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
  4. Kingplay15

Kingplay15

Same here. I didn't have that problem in the first Unity version I used (2017.2 probably), just after upgrading to version 2017.3.0f3. Got stucked on this for hours to firgure out what I've done wrong lol

5. daspiela

daspiela

And I don't know if this bug has something to do with it, but there is another bug in animation recording mode. When i select multiple gameobjects and I press on inspector -> transform -> rotation with RMB -> add key, it will be added as expected. But when i then leave the recording mode, all rotations will be set to 0 instead of their initial values.

6. Kingplay15

Kingplay15

Actually this bug may be not that bad, cuz I now manually adjust the rotation values in the animation window and it's way more convenient :))

7. daspiela

daspiela

Yeah, but using the rotation tool in the scene window would be even more convenient ;)

giorgos_gs likes this.
  8. giorgos_gs

giorgos_gs

I still have this bug and I have 2018.2.2 Unity staff please pay attention in these forums.

9. giorgos_gs

giorgos_gs

This is really strange and I am not able to use the animation tool. Now it doesnt cope and paste keyframes. I spend most of my time fighting with the tools (Unity) than making my 2d game. Its very frustrating.

10. tikali23

tikali23

Unfortunately, I'm still seeing the same bug with the now released 2018.3.0f2 version of Unity.

11. unrealmitch

unrealmitch

12. AdriBlancoXoia

AdriBlancoXoia

I have the exact same issue, it works when editing directly in the animation window, but it doesn't work when rotating the object in the scene. I'm using version 2018.3.0f2.

13. okrauleidies

okrauleidies

I'm using 2018.3.0f2 too and have this Bug. Animating is just one more thing that's so terrible in Unity, that I'm really want to end the use of this Software and go to something else.

14. EvilTylerDurden

EvilTylerDurden

I'm Facing the same problem.
    I am using:
    Unity 2018.3.0f2;
    2D Animation 2.0.0-preview.1;
    2D IK 1.0.7-preview.1;
    2D PSD Importer 1.0.0-preview.1.

Adding bone rotation from the bone's Transform using "add key" or directly recording rotation manipulating bones in the Scene messes up completely the animation setting very highs rotation's values on the Z axis.

I cant create good animation without been able to rotate bones... someone has any workarounds? Or I have to make my animation on third-party software like Spine or something similar?

15. unrealmitch

unrealmitch

it looks that it's fixed in the last version 2018.3.1f1

16. Zephus

Zephus

No, it isn't. I still have the exact same bug and I'm about to lose my mind. It's impossible to create animations with this.

17. MMindi

MMindi

Its still not fixed in 2018.3.3.f1. At least I still have the same problem. Did someone of you find a workaround or fix in the meantime?

18. unrealmitch

unrealmitch

Last edited: Jan 30, 2019
    thomak-dev, MMindi and AdriBlancoXoia like this.
  19. wagenheimer

wagenheimer

I also have this exact same bug SINCE I started to use unity (Unity 5.4), on ALL my PROJECTS. It's always a nightmare when I need to animate rotations.

I will try the "temporal fix".

Edit! Wow, that worked! Years of nightmare are now over!

Last edited: Feb 15, 2019