Search Unity

2017.3.0b1 : Editor issues

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Alesk, Oct 3, 2017.

1. Alesk

Alesk

Hi,

I've just installed this version and have at least 3 major problems :

1) Standalone players compiled with this version are not running (already sent a bug report for this one)

2) Monodevelop is not properly installed and not associated with C# files (double clicking a script file in the editor doesn't invoke Monodevelop anymore)
    And after reinstalling 2017.2 or 2017.1, the link to monodevelop is still broken :/

3) On linux mint, when the app is added to the launch bar, it is always looking for /opt/Unity/Editor/Unity, and not to the path the app is installed to by the installer.

Am I the only one to have 2) and 3) ?

Last edited: Oct 3, 2017
  2. draco_nite

draco_nite

I haven't tried 1 yet, but I'm having 2 for sure, and probably 3 as well, since adding it to my launch bar isn't working for me either.

Monodevelop is absolutely messed up. I noticed that when I tried to open a script, absolutely nothing happened, so I poked around the preferences and changed my default editor to /usr/bin/monodevelop. Doing that opened Monodevelop, but did not open my file. I changed it to gedit, and it opened the file just fine.

I figured that Unity just wasn't passing the file as an argument when launching Monodevelop, so I wrote a workaround script that does nothing but launch Monodevelop with the argument passed to it. I still got the same problem: Monodevelop launched, but the file path passed to it wasn't opened. I tried some other things, and eventually discovered that any filepath with a space in it simply wasn't opened by Monodevelop, so I tried launching Monodevelop from the terminal with a filepath with many spaces in it, but manually escaped with backslashes. This, too, had the same effect, so something is clearly wrong with Monodevelop itself. Or I'm clearly doing something wrong, I don't know a thing about Linux except the fact that it doesn't have telemetry like Windows 10 does.

3. draco_nite

draco_nite

Also, the "Download Monodevelop Installer" button does nothing in Edit > Preferences > External Tools

4. Alesk

Alesk

Same here...

In fact it looks like Monodevelop is not installed by 2017.3 but it is by 2017.1 and 2017.2 ...
    I tried to install it in standalone, but it is still ignored by Unity :(
    But it is really anoying that now it is still broken when I revert to Unity 2017.1 or .2

Some configuration files may be left somewhere... any idea on how to clean it ?

5. Tak

Tak

This looks like a crash in your system freetype. Maybe related, there seem to be some warnings that it can't find the adwaita theme engine. Does the screen selector dialog work for you in previous Unity versions?

Sorry, MD wasn't shipped with this build. We'll investigate readding it.

This could be the .desktop file from an old installation interfering - we're investigating a Rider-like "Create desktop entry" function.

6. Alesk

Alesk

Yes it was working fine before...

Anyway, now I can't do any new test since I can't reinstall any version of Unity on my linux system :/

I tried all 2017.1 and 2017.2 builds, and none is installing properly now...
    I have been looking for all "unity3d" and "monodevelop" files to remove them for my system to try to clean it up. But I'm still stuck here.

I download the .deb or .sh files, the installation seems to be running properly, but after that, Unity is not actually installed.

I'll continue to investigate this problem later this week end... or wait for the next 2017.3 update ;)

Last edited: Oct 4, 2017