Search Unity

2017.2.0f3 Editor Very Slow?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by f0ff886f, Oct 15, 2017.

1. SilverStorm

SilverStorm

Jesus....what sort of bloat has this engine come to, where you need to turn the internet off to solve performance problems.

Ony likes this.
  2. screenname_taken

screenname_taken

Honestly. At least i know when my router needs rebooting. If it hangs, sometimes the editor just stops to think for a bit and when the router comes back it rechecks the services.

3. SamuelGoldenbaum

SamuelGoldenbaum

I am seeing the same

4. SamuelGoldenbaum

SamuelGoldenbaum

Seems to be related to the internet connection. If I disable the WiFi connection - plays instantly

5. Play_Edu

Play_Edu

Sometimes unity editor does not refresh properly like If I use Textmesh pro and save then text disappear and when I play that time it's visible.

6. DerDicke

DerDicke

The alt-tab delay may be related to asset count or size.
    Never had a problem with 2017, but after downloading lots of artwork from the Unity humble bundle, refocus to Unity takes several seconds even if nothing has changed. Project is on SSD.
    Disabling Auto-Refresh solves the problem, but manual refresh takes the same time, so there is no gain here.

Maybe problem would be solvable if we could Auto-Refresh only scripts or better if it we could exclude folders from Auto-Refresh. Most Assets are download-once, never touch for many people.

7. AnRilo

AnRilo

Unity 2018.2.9 and 2018.2.10
    This solution works in case if turning down internet connection solve problem for you.
    If you have a MSI motherboard, or (as me) you have an MSI notebook, and you internet connection isn't via cable(you're using wifi), you can try to delete the lan drivers and/or lan software. It worked for me.

8. screenname_taken

screenname_taken

You really shouldn't have to do that though. Cripple your system so that a program behaves.

9. PsyKaw

PsyKaw

Unity 2018.2.5f1 still very slow during 30 sec after recompile in .Net3.5, no problem in .Net4.X. :mad:

No problem if ethernet card is disabled, please Unity do something, how is it possible ?

Last edited: Oct 3, 2018
  10. tataygames

tataygames

Yeah not until iOs appstore require minumum xcode 10 in march 2019, which 5.6 is for xcode 9, need to update o.s, unity, etc what a work.

Im using Unity 5.1 for 3 years editor game scene is super fast. no problem in anypart.
    I wonder why is 2018.2 is very slow, cant record my gameplay highlights because of the slowness.

11. artaka

artaka

I'm also getting a massive slowdown in Unity 2018.2.13f1 editor when saving scenes, saving project, or playing a scene. Turning off the internet solve the slowdown. But of course that's not a real option to keep disabling the ethernet every time I need to save or play a scene.

ViniciosFalout likes this.
  12. artaka

artaka

UPDATE: It seems the source of our issue was the Version Control window. Closing the window got rid of the massive slowdowns. We are using P4 for version control.

13. DerDicke

DerDicke

The alt-tab delay vanished for after deleting
    HEROIC FANTASY CREATURES FULL PACK Volume 1
    from Asset Store. Big artwork package.

Would be helpful to define folders that do not auto-update when Unity gets focus again. Actually like anyone else I didn't use Unity for big fat projects yet... just wondering what people do in these cases.

14. dienat

dienat

Unity 2018.2.20 or 2018.3 is sluggish without even playing any game, really slow, you select and object and then select another and takes like a second to do it. Unity 2018.2.17f1 goes well but doesnt save the XR settings so its unusable for me

Disabled the ethernet adapter but editor speed didnt improve

Tried with a very small scene and goes fast, but scenes with not too many gameobjects start going very slow, but my cpu and memory is just half used and have an ssd m.2

Last edited: Dec 26, 2018
  15. dienat

dienat

Ok, found why editor was slow, it was not cause Unity but cause VRTK asset, i use htc vive and once i deleted everything but the steamvr in the vrtk manager editor started to work normally. Also the problem to save the XR settings was cause VRTK, i had to vrtk manager scripts and that was deleting the settings even once the scene was loaded in editor without even start the game

16. defyngames

defyngames

Important!
    Is anyone using Google Play Games plugin in Unity? If so, take a look at this github issue, which seems to be solely responsible for this behavior! It's doing GC allocations & using CPU every frame, even in the editor! :(:(:(

17. KuruptVision

KuruptVision

Thanks for the info. Pretty sure this is whats doing it for me. It gets installed as part of the Facebook Unity SDK =/

Hopefully I can get a fix for this without the Facebook SDK breaking.

18. hieu996

hieu996

for me the problem is with the Package Manager. You should move on to something other than My Asset