Search Unity

2017.2.0f3 Editor Very Slow?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by f0ff886f, Oct 15, 2017.

1. Artaani

Artaani

2. Onsterion

Onsterion

Same problem here, extreme slow Editor

Unity Version: 2017.3.1p4

Hardware / Software System:
    Sistema operativo
    Windows 10 Home 64-bit
    CPU
    Intel Core i7 7820HK @ 2.90GHz 44 °C
    Kaby Lake 14nm Tecnología
    RAM
    32.0GB Doble-Canal Desconocido @ 1196MHz (17-17-17-39)
    Gráfica
    Generic PnP Monitor (1920x1080@60Hz)
    4095MBNVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 (MSI) 41 °C
    4095MBNVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 (MSI) 41 °C
    versión ForceWare: 391.01
    SLI habilitado

3. castor76

castor76

Something is really indeed wrong here..gc collect calls seems to be excessive... set materials.. too. whats going on ??

4. Igualop

Igualop

Same problem here with version 2017.3.1p4.

The editor hangs for about 1~3 seconds when (un)collapsing components. Profiler points out to "GUIUtility.ProcessEvent" which also do a 1.4mb GC alloc

Artaani likes this.
  5. benoitd_unity

benoitd_unity

Unity Technologies

6. Artaani

Artaani

2017.3.1f1
    It is stated in title of my thread.
    Unfortunately I can't send a project folder. But your dev team probably may recreate this issue because many people in this thread encountered with the same issue.

7. Angeluserare

Angeluserare

I had same problem with 2017.3.1f1 and updated to 2017.4.0f1 today and still have it. Impossible to navigate unity ui.

Attached Files:

8. benoitd_unity

benoitd_unity

Unity Technologies

Got it. Just got feedback from the team and a back port is scheduled for 2017.3

Artaani likes this.
  9. castor76

castor76

Ok....So.. are the issues been found? If so solution is going to be included in the future LT version of 2017.4? What's going on with this issue?

I have tried 2017.4 and 2018.1b12 But the issue is still there..

10. lubwn

lubwn

Same problem here. Editor is choppy and laggy. Sometimes it freezes so much that I have to shut down the process manually and restart unity. Using 2017.3.1f1. Please let us know when some patch will be available. Thanks a lot.

11. Artaani

Artaani

Did you managed to recreate this bug?
    This bug exist from version 2017.2 and reported from October 2017! There is 5 pages of people who confirm this issue. All Unity versions from 2017.2 is unusable. Are you going to fix it?

12. furroy

furroy

I've been having weird issues with 2017.x If I tweak the transform components too much, it kind of hangs.. some of the UI still responds, but other parts of it are locked up. Very strange and I have to kill it often and restart.

13. kepesh

kepesh

Any idea when this will be fixed? It takes a lot more time to get things done when Unity is so slow.

14. Samacvuk

Samacvuk

It is really hard to work like this, Unity 2017.4.1f1 64 still not fixed

15. castor76

castor76

For me, it almost feels like even thou I don't have my scene view opened, it tries to render the scene view anyway, and then there seems to be some kind of memory leak on the GUI side to cause so much memory usage over some period of time and make the editor to crawl to death. The reason why I think this is the case is that recently I had some optimization implement in the game that actually disables the game objects that are not drawn. Which didn't really help much on actual build of the game, but it did help when I was in the editor. But it shouldn't be like that because I usually hides my scene view, because it makes the editor to run slower. But even with that, over the time, the editor gets slowed down to 5 fps and I need to restart again. There has been some mention about the bug has been fixed in 2018 or something like that, but there is no actual detail on what the cause was. So I am not even sure if the fix will help my case if not at all?

16. jturner221

jturner221

This is costing us a tremendous amount of time, focus, and money.

Where is the support here?

Lopost, DBarlok and Artaani like this.
  17. BrianND

BrianND

I also have experience the same issue so I narrowed it down to a single custom shader. It's basically a tri planar terrain shader. It does maybe 12 texture look ups so it's sampler heavy.

If I reduce the texture scale transform or set the texture quality settings to low the FPS increases. It seems like it's
    related to rendering or some fill rate issue? Maybe the shader passes are getting duplicated?

I double checked on Unity 5.6.5 and the shader runs fine at a solid 60fps with no issue.

18. Tharmine02

Tharmine02

Artaani likes this.
  19. kepesh

kepesh

What's the status of this issue? It's not fixed in the latest version either.

Lars-Steenhoff likes this.
  20. SilverStorm

SilverStorm

For anyone still having performance issues me and one other found that when we had the performance drops we simply opened up Blender or Zbrush in my case and used it for a few minutes. Then we minimized it and returned to Unity and pressed play to noticed 5x-10x more fps going from 150 for me to 1000+.

-The main issue present for that one was Gfx.waitforpresent in the profiler.
    -Having my window maximized or not also affected this.

So do that method and come back into Unity and see if anything has improved. I am not sure what causes the bug but that method to solve the bug is 100% and works everytime it appears for me.
    I noticed this bug ever since Unity since the Unity 5.4 series to 2017 latest. I have not tested in 2018.

I also want to say thanks so much for the developers and community taking this so seriously and I hope we make progress!

Lars-Steenhoff likes this.
  21. Shizola

Shizola

This is a bit random, but it helped me with slow editor performance in the past -

If you have a nvidia card disable game overlay in the geforce experience program.

22. skinwalker

skinwalker

In play mode if you have selected one of your characters that has a lot of components it will be super slow, you have to select an empty game object or at least something with a very few components. I am using 2017.3.1 and its slow for me too, especially when I switch between scenes during play mode or expand/collapse a component or click one of the menus.

Ryzen 5 1600
    8GB Ram
    GTX 1060 6GB

23. anzr33

anzr33

Just found out occasionally that it works smooth without network connection. No lags, just go offline :)

24. lubwn

lubwn

Did they fixed it in unity 2018? Anyone tried? I am curious but also worried my project would explode.

25. Zeitcatcher

Zeitcatcher

No noticeable improvement.

Ony likes this.
  26. Axelieus

Axelieus

Same here. It'd be really nice if we could get some additional input on this. There are at least 3 form threads on it that I am aware of. Is the back port for 2017.3 still going to happen? What about 2018.1?

In another thread someone referenced issue 964953, which is tagged as fixed in 2018.1 or 2018.2.0a2 depending on which part you read, but I'm still seeing cases where the EditorOverhead is using well over 80% of the CPU time in 2018.1.f2.

Last edited: May 3, 2018
  27. KB73

KB73

"I'm still seeing cases where the EditorOverhead is using well over 80% of the CPU time in 2018.1.f2."

Same here, we're seeing large EditorOverhead performance issues when we open the Profiler, editor then hitches like crazy every couple of seconds..saw it in 2017.4 as well.

28. Igualop

Igualop

I've updated from 2017.3.1p4 to 2018.1.0f2 and did notice a big speed improvement when expanding/collapsing components. Not sure about the profiler.

29. KB73

KB73

It seems to manifest itself once we have a lot of stuff going on, almost like it is trying to catch up...

Seems it is in the ApplicationTickTimer/ Update Scene but nothing shows up as the actual issue - it just has a large self ms time but everything in the hierarchy doesn't add up remotely to the total, our stuff is around 5-10ms, but the ApplicationTickTimer UpdateSceneIfNeeded is taking 300ms-400ms , sometimes it goes to 5000ms+

Investigating more..

30. KB73

KB73

Ok dropping our visual quality down helped - obvious but this is a high end desktop and we're doing a mobile game, we're not throwing that much at it relative to a desktop app...it was fine on 2017.1 from what i can tell...

Anyway here is a timeline when it happens, obv Gfx.Commands is having issues - once we drop the quality, the hitches are much less noticeable. We do have multithreading enabled and working on Android.

Either way, we're causing a stall but there is still a significant overhead from what we can see in the Editor which maybe amplifying the problem..

*Update - ok we found our culprit, our normal map shader was horrendous in performance...knock is a huge performance drop in the editor..:)

profile_timeline.png

Last edited: May 4, 2018
  31. rpopic2

rpopic2

I had exact same issue, and I fixed it completely by drastically reducing number of version controlled files. If you guys are using version control, I highly recommend you to turn version control of, or make not important files private. I have reported this issue before, and it is happening in LCS versions also.

32. f0ff886f

f0ff886f

One more finding, and I know its been echoed around, even by Unity: having any open components in the inspector panel drops perf by up to 45fps in the editor here.

It's actually the biggest thing between a smooth editor experience and a constantly laggy one. Which is a little frustrating, since to navigate the scene smoothly we have to deselect all objects, and wait a few seconds while selecting one...

33. Samacvuk

Samacvuk

This is absolutely insane because this is the most performed action on Unity Editor and causes EditorOverhead constantly, unity HAS to fix this or Epic just won the race.

34. XuTenTen

XuTenTen

Hi, @benoitd_unity , I still got the "EditorOverHead" at 99% in the latest 2018.1.0f2
    I am working on the official BoidExample. I don't believe the bug will stay for 4 months since Jan

Attached Files:

35. Mr_TZ

Mr_TZ

Me Too!
    2018.1.0f2
    1080ti + 6700k
    only ~20fps in editor!
    Slow TO DIE!

36. XuTenTen

XuTenTen

Hey, @benoitd_unity I found that when I close the Nvidia watching program and Geforce Experience, the editoroverhead disappear on windows10

37. Edronide

Edronide

Same problem here after updating from Unity 2017.2f to 2018.1.0f. I experiment huge fps drop each 2/3 seconds caused by "ApplicationTickTimer" and "GUIUtility.ProcessEvent()". In my case if i turn off my internet the problem disapear.

38. Deleted User

Deleted User

I agree. I'm having problems with performance in the editor in Unity 2018 within Debian 9. AMD processor/GPU 16 GB ram.

39. benoitd_unity

benoitd_unity

Unity Technologies

Sorry everyone for the lack of updates.

Yes this has been reported on multiple occasions. Unfortunate, but we've been unable to figure out why it hurts performance like that.

Slowdowns can be caused by a lot of things. Some fixes have landed in LTS
    2017.4.3f1
    and should also been ported to other versions so try the latest.

If you're still having issues, please get the latest version of a release cycle and submit a bug and attach profiler data, the more information they have, the easier it is for them to fix it.

Once again, thanks a lot for your patience and collaboration.

40. benoitd_unity

benoitd_unity

Unity Technologies

Interesting. Can you record a profiling session when it happens? Do you have some netstat data you could share with the team?

41. f0ff886f

f0ff886f

I upgraded to 2017.4.3f1 and I can say performance is better (but still far from good) with the inspector window. At least its a step forward, but are there any notions that we'll get actual native desktop performance in the editor one day? For example, just scrolling an inspector tab for an object that has a component with ~50 public variables is hitching and never smooth...

42. Edronide

Edronide

Some news, actually its happening only when i share network with my phone (samsung), if i use ethernet it doesn't happen anymore.
    I make a screen of the profiler when it happen, mostly when i rotate the camera in scene view, but it cause others weird stuff, it's like unity doesn't respond anymore for a short time.
    I don't think that is 100% related to network sharing with my phone, since other applications works fine

EDIT: I can't really give you the profiler data since his size is 695Mo, i have a verry bad upload speed

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 16, 2018
  43. benoitd_unity

benoitd_unity

Unity Technologies

Which version of Unity are you using?

44. f0ff886f

f0ff886f

Hi folks, in case anyone is reading this thread, some pointers:

If you're on Unity 2017.x, upgrade to 2017.4.3+ as soon as possible. This is the first release in almost a year we've had in 2017 that doesn't completely drop the ball.

In general most unexplainable performance hitches are gone while doing basic tasks. Some explainable problems are still there (drawing an inspector drawer seems harder than drawing our full 3D game in the scene view and the game view simultaneously with all post turned on...)

Enter play-mode is still ridiculously slow, compiling scripts are slow as well, but at least the editor isn't completely unusable anymore.

45. JotaRata

JotaRata

Hi I'm using Unity 2018.1.3 and this issue is still there,..
    The profiler shows a process called AppliationTickTimer which causes lag spikes every 1 second in the Editor.
    also the compiler also takes a long time to compile, compared to 5.x which I think it was very quick

Ony likes this.
  46. FeastSC2

FeastSC2

Is there anything/any tips that can help with the selection of sprites in the Editor? I'm on the latest LTS Unity 2017 version.

My artists are having a hell of a time creating levels and I have no idea how to help them, removing every script/material still leads to the same issue.

upload_2018-6-27_5-16-26.png

Last edited: Jun 27, 2018
    kk99 likes this.
  47. JotaRata

JotaRata

I think it is fixed in Unity 2018.2,1b

48. kk99

kk99

same here. Editor becomes completely UNRESPONSIVE when you deal with big PREFABS.

Clicking a big Prefab (1 MByte or bigger with many gameobjects) will cause instant Unity FREEZE

(clicking prefab in Asset)

Clicking prefab in Hierarchy is fine

Last edited: Jul 5, 2018
  49. kk99

kk99

ok Unity 2017 is simple a terrible Build.

I moved now to 2018. 2017 is just too buggie. I doubt this will be fixed ever because it has been released already for almost 2 years.

50. Zihaben

Zihaben

Same problem with 2018.2. Unable to work, empty scene and editor windows are redrawing for ages.

I shut down my internet connection and this completely solved the problem.

P.S. I suspect bug caused by some IP loopback connections established by Unity ( ShaderCompiler, etc.)

PsyKaw, SamuelGoldenbaum and Zullar like this.