Search Unity

2017.2.0f3 Editor Very Slow?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by f0ff886f, Oct 15, 2017.

1. Stavros-Dimou

Stavros-Dimou

I too updated from 2017.1 to 2017.3, and found out that the editor is lagging very very badly. On regular intervals the editor completely freezes becoming unresponsive. This problem didn't existed in 2017.1.

Take a look on the profiler:

See all these bumps / mountain tops on CPU Usage ? At each of them, the editor completely freezes for a moment. But that happens in general, not only in play mode. The editor becomes completely unresponsive, every second or so. Plus I noticed that the Garbage Collector is very active. It might be it. Anyway, I rolled back to 2017.1 for now.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
    Zullar likes this.
  2. Gdizzie

Gdizzie

I had some activation issues with 2017, Opening my latest installation of Unity 5 first and reactivating seemed to push 2017 clean. Might work..

3. benoitd_unity

benoitd_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi everyone, I’m writing to give you a quick update.

I’ll start by introducing myself: My name is Benoit Dupuis (or just Ben) and I’ve been recently appointed as the new Product Manager for the Editor / UI team. Part of my role is to surface feedback from our users back to the team and work with them to make sure we’re addressing the right issues, as well as give you more visibility on what is going on.

I’ve just ramped up on this topic and let me attempt to recap the current situation:
    • There seems to be a lot similar issues which might or might not be related: General Editor slowdowns and stutters, Editor hangs when alt-tabbing, very poor performance when hitting Play;
    • Some culprits have been identified: vsync, low network bandwidth, Windows update, nVidia drivers and overlay, Visual Studio, Unity license auth service, memory leaks, etc…
    • We released some fixes that helped addressing partially, or entirely, the issues some of you were having.

Now there’s still work to do and I’d like to know which ones are still occurring. I understand it might feel redundant for you guys, but bear with me, it’s important for us, especially for the noob that I am, to clear the noise and get a clear assessment. And of course, the more detailed information we get, the more it helps.

Meanwhile, we’re working at adding more markers in the profiling code so we have a better understanding of what’s happening in the unaccounted time in profiler. Ideally, we’d like to back port it in earlier versions so you can re-run the profiler and get more metrics.

Thanks a lot for your understanding and patience, its very appreciated and I promise we’ll work hard at improving your experience using Unity.

4. JustAnotherDude

JustAnotherDude

I'm having this one for all the versions I tested after 2017.1.2p4, present on 2017.3.0p3, one particular project is even worse, maybe it's because it has 4.25gb in 106.682 files (counting .metas together), but, as I said, that same project works perfectly fine with 2017.1.2p4, no slowdowns at all on that version, so it's definitely something that has changed after that version.

I wish I could help more. The profiler doesn't show anything because unity is basically frozen for many seconds after alt tabbing, the unity windows doesn't even show, the only thing I can get from the profiler is Throttle MainMessageLoop eating all cpu.

paradizIsCool and k0dep like this.
  5. screenname_taken

screenname_taken

What keeps happening even in 2017.3.p3 is that you'll be in VS writing code, then click Unity in the taskbar to go back and the editor might not get focus, instead give out a "ding" sound. If i click in once more it'll take a sec to come back up and then it'll start compiling the script changes.

6. paradizIsCool

paradizIsCool

Same for me, my project is not so big int weight, but has 42228 meta files. I guess that's a big point for the alt-tab issue. I hadn't any problem with 2017.1.

7. Gdizzie

Gdizzie

When I run VS the editor lags

8. Bitboys

Bitboys

+1
    Fps drops from 60 to 53/50fps every 2 or 3 seconds.:eek:

9. mikecaputo

mikecaputo

+1 Working on a VR project with no assets. Just the default scene. I get 0.5 fps in the Game tab, but the Game tab will update as quickly as I can tab-switch between Scene and Game. Meaning something in the last mile of writing to the Game tab is getting lost. No problems at all if I Build the test scene.. smooth performance in the exe.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2018
  10. Bitboys

Bitboys

2017.3 patch 4 installed and still the same fps drops....

11. benoitd_unity

benoitd_unity

Unity Technologies

Thanks for the replies, I'll investigate with the team.

k0dep and Zullar like this.
  12. jschroyen

jschroyen

I'm on Unity 2017.3.0f2, I notice when I task switch to Unity, after a bunch of Throttle MainMessageLoop frames (the yellow Other category in the screenshot) there are 3 consecutive GuiView RepaintAll frames (blue Scripts category) which seem to just do the same thing 3 times.

upload_2018-2-1_11-13-13.png

13. f0ff886f

f0ff886f

Hi everyone, I saw that Unity 2017.2.1p3 was posted today with this curious line:
    • (969205) - Assets: Fixed Assetdatabase.Refresh taking longer than necessary.
    I downloaded it, and my ALT+Tab delays are gone!!! I can finally get back to the Editor quickly. My project has 24K files (including .meta). The pain since October is finally gone. I will keep testing more things and try to summarize any (if there are) issues.

14. jschroyen

jschroyen

I hope this is true!

JustAnotherDude likes this.
  15. Korindian

Korindian

I noticed Nvidia's overlay popping up recently whenever I would open the Unity Editor, which never happened before.

I was also experiencing horrible editor performance and noticed ridiculously high EditorOverhead time in the profiler.

Following the suggestions above, I switched off Nvidia's In-Game Overlay and everything went back to butter smooth.

16. screenname_taken

screenname_taken

When people are talking about nvidia overlay, is that something that comes with that GeForce experience thing? Cause i've never had an overlay popup, but i'm never installing the experience... experience.

17. f0ff886f

f0ff886f

Exactly, it is only with GeForce Experience.

18. Choi-Gyu-Bum

Choi-Gyu-Bum

2017.2.1p3 (fixed 969205) works for me. I want (fixed 969205) applies quickly to 2017.3.

19. benoitd_unity

benoitd_unity

Unity Technologies

Great news! I'll make sure it ends up in 2017.3 as well.

LudiKha likes this.
  20. benoitd_unity

benoitd_unity

Unity Technologies

I've been told that it was fixed in 2017.3.0p4 but it missed the Release Notes :oops:

LudiKha and JustAnotherDude like this.
  21. JustAnotherDude

JustAnotherDude

Can confirm, looks fixed indeed.

22. Axelieus

Axelieus

Hmm. I'm still seeing inconsistent performance in the editor when in play mode even after 2017.3.0p4. Basically I'm getting huge frame rate variances from 150+ down to 10 or so. I'm also seeing spikes that only seem to last a frame or 2. Not enough to seriously impact the average FPS, but enough to cause a noticeable hitch. My experiences largely match some of the others in the thread with either EditorOverhead or Gfx.WaitForPresent being the resource hog.

I've tried several things from this and other threads, closing/restarting Visual Studio, switching .NET framework versions, opening and closing the profiler, enable or disable VSync, etc.. Nothing seems to have a lasting effect.

However, one thing I did notice this evening, completely disabling GSync seems to help. I can't say for sure, as this is a recent change, but I was wondering if any of the others having issues, notably with WaitForPresent, are using GSync enabled displays?

23. incenseman

incenseman

Can you give details on how this is done?

24. Chrisdbhr

Chrisdbhr

In older versions (5.6) the editor ran fine, but the last ones (2017) the editor is very lag.

When I minimize it, it takes forever to maximize it again. That is the biggest issue.

So I did the old trick from this post (put -force-opengl at the end of the shortcut) and put my assets to Manual Update (as in this post).

And its working faster.

Yeah, Manual Update of assets seems bad, but sometimes when you change something in a script and you just want to change one thing in editor before updating the code again, its very cool.

And about using OpenGL, I think its some issue with the DirectX 11 on editor.

25. swredcam

swredcam

I'm not sure the slowdown I experienced was the same one documented here, but it impacted not just Unity but my entire system. Massive slowdown to every aspect of my MacbookPro running Mavericks OS. I found a thread on reddit that suggested "revert factory settings" for window-->layout and that solved my problem completely. This was after reading dozens of posts and trying several other fixes and many reboots. It was one of those rare fixes that actually seems to have completely corrected the problem. I have no idea how I got into the slowdown mode in the first place, but I have been doing a lot of platform build switching lately.

26. castor76

castor76

I have 2017.3.0p4 and Editor Overhead takes like 30ms. I don't think this has happened before with 2017.1 or 2017.2 as far as I remember... When I profile editor, it seems like it is doing a lot of work searching for a game object with a tag? Humm..

27. ds44

ds44

@Chrisdbhr
    put -force-opengl at the end of the shortcut

That did the trick :). Definitely issue with DX11 in editor. Switching to OpenGL solved the lag issue for me (Windows 10, Unity 2017.3.1f1)

28. EduardasFunka

EduardasFunka

For me, clean GI cash helped from ~24FPS to ~68FPS in older version I get 120 FPS (when press play) so there is things need to fix.

29. castor76

castor76

I wonder if this issue is even being looked at by Unity.. This is one of those kind of problem where sending off bug report is almost impossible, due to the size of the project etc.

Zeitcatcher and EduardasFunka like this.
  30. Shinzironine

Shinzironine

Experienced periodic lags as well (GeForce on my machine). -force-opengl seems to solve the problem

31. castor76

castor76

Unity patch 2017.3.p3 came out but still no words on this issue...

32. benoitd_unity

benoitd_unity

Unity Technologies

Yes we've been investigating but we're having difficulties reproducing the same behaviour. Some users are saying it is fixed in 2017.2.2f1 and the latest 2018.1 beta. Can anyone else confirm?

On a related note, I previously mentioned we would improve the Editor Profiler by adding more performance trackers. That has landed in the 2018.1 and has been back ported to 2017.2.2p1 and 2017.3.1p4. If you could try those when they get released and send profiler data, it could help us identify the real culprit.

Thanks

33. greg-harding

greg-harding

The latest public versions of Unity 2017.2.2f1 and 2017.3.1p3, and a test of Unity 2018.1.0b9 (with extra Editor profiling), have all shown improved performance for me (on Mac).

I have been testing and profiling Unity (for many months) opening in low-resolution mode to avoid retina (checkbox in info panel on the .app), using Metal, testing various nVidia drivers vs stable Apple drivers, and sending the details to Benoit and QA. The editor spikes I was hitting last year and for most of this year in 2017.1.x, 2017.2.x, and 2017.3.x just by rotating the scene camera around an empty scene, causing stalls and generating megs of garbage with tens of thousands of calls to EditorGUIUtility.HandleControlID(), seem to have been fixed for me (on Mac) with these latest versions of Unity.

In my real projects, the stalls and poor performance moving around scenes with content, particularly with Unity UI, seem to have been fixed.

I have not been testing anything on Windows so I don't know if performance has improved there or not.

cheers,

// greg

34. castor76

castor76

Will Wait for P4 and see how it goes! Thanks for the update.

35. Son_Of_Hans

Son_Of_Hans

I just tried 2017.3.1p3 and everything is running perfectly fine on Mac. For the record, I had previously tried upgrading from 5.6.3 to 2017.2.0p4, 2017.2.1f1, and 2017.3.0, all of which had the same editor performance issues (so I stayed on 5.6.3 until this morning).

Unity team, thank you for tracking down this issue!

36. castor76

castor76

I have 2017.3.1.p3 and the problem is still there for Windows DX11. Maybe it is fixed for Mac?

37. Rational-MA

Rational-MA

2017.2.2p1 was released today but I'm having trouble finding this in the release notes. Could you please verify the profiler improvements were indeed included in this patch? Thank you!

38. KB73

KB73

We tried 2017.2.2f1 and definitely noticed an improvement on both mac and windows.:)

2017.2.1p1 was 100% causing issues for us

39. Xantheron

Xantheron

I have just tried the new versions of Unity3D, and noticed it is taking a VERY LONG TIME to load an example project.

Importing Packages and "Hold On" for at least 5 minutes or more now.

40. buscommando

buscommando

My editor freezes for about a half second every half second. Tried most recent 2017 and the 2018 beta. It is unusable in this state.

I experience this behavior in 2017.2, 2017.3, and 2018.1.0b10

41. buscommando

buscommando

42. buscommando

buscommando

Unplugging the Dell Visor resolves all the issues - editor runs at 200fps when the HMD is disconnected.

Not good )-:

43. Xantheron

Xantheron

Today I ran into an issue with loading up Unity3D....

After opening Unity3D, the loading page got stuck and could not open/create a project.

Attached Files:

44. Xantheron

Xantheron

Today, it seems that trying to use the new 2D tile mapping system is buggy in Unity3D.

After setting up a Palette for the sprites, I move the tiles to the Palette tab, the cursor says I cannot add the sprites to the palette tab.

Attached Files:

45. castor76

castor76

@Xantheron , you should try and keep this thread focused on editor slowdown issue. So you should probably post your issues somewhere else. Otherwise this thread will be full of random Unity issues...

46. Xantheron

Xantheron

Yeah sorry I don't post often, And couldn't find the correct thread/section.

47. castor76

castor76

I have just tried 2017.3.1.p4 and attaching the profiler data here.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1DtijjgU2LLo6cPINaOu1SUtIzXF8s0s6/view?usp=sharing

Also screen shot :

upload_2018-3-15_0-18-21.png

It seems like performance cost comes from GUIUtility.ProcessEvent(). I don't think it is but if UpdateSceneIfNeeded is coming from updating actual scene view, it shouldn't because I don't actually have a scene view opened.. I know there is some cost displaying the scene view at the same time with the game view, but my slow performance comes even without scene view opened.

It also seems like the performance degradation gets worse over time, after couple of restating the game.

I sometimes get 30ms editor overheads...

It's also worth while to mention that there shouldn't be that many material set passes. I have the game running with 164 drawcalls as you can see from the pic.

The game runs over 60fps on XboxOne, and yet with high spec GTX 970, the game sometimes crawls down to 20 fps in the editor. The PC build doesn't have the performance hit.

48. benoitd_unity

benoitd_unity

Unity Technologies

Yikes not good indeed, can you file a bug for that one please? Adding profiler data would be helpful too.

49. benoitd_unity

benoitd_unity

Unity Technologies

Thanks a lot, I'll send that to the team.

50. greg-harding

greg-harding

Argh, 2017.2.2p1 (on Mac, connected to external Thunderbolt Display) is causing problems again. Here's an editor profiler screenshot just rotating around an empty scene.

@benoitd_unity I'm emailing this and the saved profiler data to case 980243.

Update: Rate limiting usb input devices to their lowest rates helps this problem a lot. Older versions of Unity seemed perform better, but sometime last year I noticed performance getting worse with newer versions.

Unity_2017.2.2p1_rotate_around_empty_scene.png Unity_2017.2.2p1_rotate_around_empty_scene_expanded.png

Last edited: Mar 18, 2018