Search Unity

2017.2.0f3 Editor Very Slow?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by f0ff886f, Oct 15, 2017.

1. LT23Live

LT23Live

Hi, All

I recently went through the same problem and I thought updating to the latest patch would work. Turns out there was an import issue with a certain FBX i was bringing into the scene. The asset did not have proper mesh or bone data but the fbx controls were trying to access data. Like a system not found exception haha. Once I removed the asset this issue was fixed.

So if you try a new project do you still have this issue?

2. OnkelK

OnkelK

Hi, all.

As far a we can tell it seems like disabling 'Allow HDR' on your cameras fixes the problem of viewport freezing. (2017.2.0f3)

Hope this helps!

3. greg-harding

greg-harding

If anyone's still playing this game, the latest Unity 2017.2.1f1 Editor is also still painfully slow on Mac.

4. f0ff886f

f0ff886f

I was struggling and struggling and struggling on 2017.2.1f1 as well. Then I read somewhere on the forums that someone found A+ Assets Explorer to be a huge issue. I decided, why not, I don't use it all the time. Uninstalled and.... my editor... is normal again.... like its actually normal for now!

Doubt its the same for everyone, especially on Mac, but give it a shot.

5. ericaker

ericaker

I was having same problem, it took up to 30 seconds for a simple operation.
    Someone said to disable Windows Defender, that helped. When I had Unity running and turned Windows Defender back on it said that it had disabled some operations in Unity and did I want Defender to allow Unity, I said "YES".
    Unity seams to be back to normal now.

Unity Team, please look into this and try to fix.

6. pragnesh_rht

pragnesh_rht

Same here

7. JustAnotherDude

JustAnotherDude

2017.2.1f1 is unusable for me. Freezes a LOT. This is seriously delaying work, switching to VS and back is a massive waste of time.

8. JustAnotherDude

JustAnotherDude

Downloaded 2017.1.2p4 and am able to work properly, same project.

9. mobadu

mobadu

Same here. Upgraded from 2017.1.2p4 to 2017.2.1 and editor is freezing constantly...

10. Souvik_1997

Souvik_1997

Same problem. The last version 5.6.2 used to work perfectly. Now it's all laggy and super slow. I can't work! Oh God why did I update!:(:(:(

11. JoMaHo

JoMaHo

Any news on this issue? Unity is useless....

12. Gdizzie

Gdizzie

Went back to 2017.1

Ran it on SSD and HDD Hybrid, laggy as F*** couldn't even open a project, 2017.2 is unusable.

13. D43DB33F

D43DB33F

Same issue here after updating from 5.6.3. I'm going to revert back to an older version and probably never do any upgrade ever again. How can they even release such a S*** ? Releasing something that just doesn't work when you simply start it is really disrespectful. Have they even tested it, just a damn single time, before releasing it ? Seriously... Garage geeks...

14. screenname_taken

screenname_taken

2017.2.1 is actually running ok for me.
    It seems 2017 is more hit or miss than the previous versions.

15. reismahnic

reismahnic

Just dropping in to say just upgraded to 2017.2.1 and it has been a terrible experience. Poor performance on a high end rig doing even the most basic things. Not sure what I should roll back to yet but it's gonna need to happen until this is fixed.

16. shadow-river

shadow-river

I've been using 2017.1.1 for ages with no issues then a day or two ago started having this problem. I realized that it was doing the slow down stuttering issue after one of the latest updates to win10.
    I then forced another updated which fixed the issue but now I'm encountering a problem where unity wont pick up on/compile any small changes to scripts ( I am using visual studio 2017)... for example I change a UI image color to green in script and it works then I change it so it will change too black instead of green but it wont pick up on it until I make a major change like remove some variables or something... the image stays green.And yes I am making sure I save all the changes ;)

17. screenname_taken

screenname_taken

Tried clicking on visual studio and then without making any changes, simply give focus back to Unity?
    Mentioning this because i run into this issue on previous versions, and by simply refocusing on it made unity see the changes.

18. Maitom

Maitom

I figured out what was lagging my launcher and editor. Here's a clip of what it looks like from the launcher(and is as bad in the editor) https://puu.sh/yGYin/bad279272b.webm . For some reason the issue with me was using my mobile phone as tethered internet(4G+ 100Mb/s). All of the problems instantly went away and came back when I turned tethering on and off.

19. shadow-river

shadow-river

Sorry don't quite understand what you mean. how do you give focus back too Unity.

#edit - using MonoDevelop instead of VS has fixed the problem for me.
    (kind of annoying since I prefer VS)

Last edited: Dec 19, 2017
  20. SilverStorm

SilverStorm

For all of you I would say it's a hardware issue but I can see a "simple" update caused the issue.

I don't know why but in the back of my mind I imagine Unity under the hood is one cluster of a mess because I don't know any other program or engine that keeps getting so many bugs and regressions so I am forced to believe that Unity programmers constantly modify code that the last programmer used simply because they don't like their "style" of coding and not realizing the dependency issues, low and behold bugs that were patched came back, hahaha.

21. getyour411

getyour411

Unity 2017.2.1f1 upgrade tonight and Editor was very unresponsive - noticed my cursor flashing to blue "wait" state about every 2 seconds.

Did some looking at editor.log and saw a loop going about every 2 seconds - Unity license entitlement stuff, trying to set my userAuth, etc - and turned that off by going to Unity / Edit / Sign-out.

Editor is fine now for me - not applicable to all the problem descriptions above but maybe to a few.

SilverStorm likes this.
  22. rgrandguillot

rgrandguillot

I am getting the same problem here with Unity 2017.2.0f3, 2017.2.0p4 and 2017.3.0f2.
    Editor is very very slow, each click takes about 3sec to react, and CPU usage is constant around 30% even with no action at all. I figured that the Editor is acting normal when a popup box is prompted, for example when asked to save a scene, CPU usage goes down to 1-2%.

It all began just after I installed the last windows 10 update 1709. Before that update, I was working perfectly with Unity 2017.2.0f3, without any problem.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2017
    LunarCats likes this.
  23. JoMaHo

JoMaHo

I do not think it is a Windows issue;
    I run macOS 10.12.6 (not even High Sierra, with all the issues reported on that OS) and are having the same issues trough all versions of 2017.2

24. BradleyHarvie

BradleyHarvie

This one worked for me!
    Thanks mate

Predaotie likes this.
  25. screenname_taken

screenname_taken

Should be helpful if you reported that.

26. JoMaHo

JoMaHo

Hurra! 2017.3 solved it for me - the editor is now snappy and responsive! Thanks Unity!
    Hope it does not slow down....

rgrandguillot likes this.
  27. rgrandguillot

rgrandguillot

Same for me! Everything is back to normal with Unity 2017.3.0f3 :)

28. Darkowic

Darkowic

@JoMaHo @rgrandguillot I have 2017.3.0f3 and still have lags problem. I'm new in Unity and my very simple 2D game is basically not usable.

29. Darkowic

Darkowic

30. greg-harding

greg-harding

@MattBF Unfortunately 2017.3.0f3 appears to have the same problems on Mac, with poor performance moving around empty scenes, etc. Submitted editor profile screenshot to Case# 980243. It shows the scene camera moving around an empty scene calling EditorGUIUtility.HandleControlID() 31k+ times in a frame and doing 81k+ GC.Allocs. I am still not sure if this is considered normal or not, but it destroys performance.

Unity_2017.3.0f3_editor_profiler_moving_scene_camera_in_empty_scene.png

31. MajorNightmare

MajorNightmare

Installed 2017.3 yesterday... ouch! Rotate view, pause and wait, click a button pause and wait, touch the UI, pause and wait.

CPU 4790k @ 4.4mhz, 16gb Ram, Nvidia 560Ti... I can work a model with 100 millions poly in Zbrush. but can't operate Unity with a simple scene with a cube, camera, light with 2017.3.

Steps taken to resolve, turn off Auto light bake, turn off HDR option on camera, removed substances. No Unity Service running. Added light probe and reflection probe, since people mentioned the HDR option issues thought it may be looking for a probe, no change. Checked if FW rule was added to AV, it was, so not the AV.

Got the answer I was looking for should I buy Substance Designer to make substance materials for Unity... No... I will stick with PBR maps instead. Won't be upgrading Unity anytime soon either. In the past I was quick to update, until I got burned by having to redo FBX animations. Like Blender I get a version working together with Unity seamlessly, there is little motivation to upgrade these days. After trying 2017.3 I see changing is just as perilous as ever. Like doing Windows NT server or Windows XP updates.... Hold your breath and pray.

I don't need an answer or support. Just wanted to tell you 2017.3 is too slow for human consumption and will continue working with 5.41.

Happy Holidays.

EDIT: Logging out stops the lag, but I can't get on the asset store, login back in, "wait" cursor every 2 seconds again. So ya license auth issues...

Last edited: Dec 20, 2017
  32. Predaotie

Predaotie

I was having the same issues as everyone else, super slow, for example the splice dialog not staying open etc, completely unusable. However, as @getyour411 mentioned going to Edit -> Sign Out fixed it immediately. Prior to this I also noticed that checking for license will constantly flash so it certainly appears to be license checking related issue.

Unity 2017.3.0f3 Personel 64-bit

33. KB73

KB73

We tried this and it didn't work for us, duplicating assets in the project window still takes 5+ seconds per prefab on windows, scrolling through the project window is very choppy. On a mac it is instant.

34. Obarstar

Obarstar

I think I found a solution I went to account and logged out then pressed skip when prompted to log in and its running great.

35. SilverStorm

SilverStorm

I wonder with the above comments if this might be a multithreading issue. Maybe Unity is not utilizing cores properly. This might also explain Gfx.waitforpresent issues too. I fixed my slowdown by simply opening up zbrush and minimizing it and my fps shoots from 100 to 2000. So maybe Unity is not properly syncing gpu and processor clocks etc.

36. Pharan

Pharan

Weird. I was having this same horrible editor performance problem. I didn't think it was because of Unity itself until I started resuming work on a really simple Unity project with barely anything in it. Unity 2017.2 and 2017.3 were stuttering like crazy.

The stuttering seems to respond to keyboard keypresses too (but not mouse clicks).
    When you mash some keys (not handled by any input script) like up or down arrows, spacebar, in my case, it stutters like crazy.
    Checking the profiler, it's still saying it's caused by `Gfx.WaitForPresent`.

I tried to follow SilverStorm's hunch. Opened Blender. Left it open (not minimized).

Unity started working much faster, but it still stutters when you press keys.
    What's going on here?

EDIT:
    Blender reminded me of something I ran into before. So I had a separate hunch.
    I disabled the GeForce Experience in-game overlay.: http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answ...-the-geforce-experience-share-in-game-overlay
    (Just disabling Instant Replay isn't enough. I had to disable the overlay itself)

After I did this, the stuttering disappeared.
    When I re-enabled the in-game overlay, the stuttering came back.

My theory: The overlay does some low-level stuff that fights with some new Unity Editor implementation of render frames and input. Opening Blender caused the overlay to bind to Blender's window instead of Unity's, but it was still trying to capture keypresses.

This kinda sucks. I hope Unity and Nvidia have an opportunity to work on a fix for this. I don't want to have to keep enabling and disabling the overlay whenever I have to start or stop using Unity.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2017
  37. greg-harding

greg-harding

38. Gatskop_Software

Gatskop_Software

Maybe the problem is not with unity I just update hierarchy plugin and my problems are solved

39. Play_Edu

Play_Edu

Unity 2017.1 Working fine for me but when i update Unity 2017.3 .Then found problems with open close component(Take time to open close. Even on empty game object component take time).

Using Unity 2017.3

Window 10 with Graphics card Nvidia 650 TI (16 GB ram) + OS on SSD

Terrible performance issue.

40. JustAnotherDude

JustAnotherDude

I don't have that plugin or any other plugins, it's a bug on unity. It's probably the license error many have reported, maybe more noticeable on slower internet connections...

41. andracer108

andracer108

The problems started appearing for me when I updated my NVIDIA driver as mentioned before. I'll try disabling the NVIDIA overlay in Unity once I get back home to hopefully fix the issues. Btw, issues still exist in 2017.3 for me.

42. MattM_Unity

MattM_Unity

Unity Technologies

Hello there :)

We managed to reproduce the slowdown on our machines, we now have a very detailed profiler, we are working on this issue :)

43. andracer108

andracer108

Continuing on my previous comment, I am actually seeing considerable improvement after disabling the GeForce Experience recorder / Shadowplay. The game plays well when the Game tab is minimized now and there are practically no lag spikes! However, Unity is still a bit choppy when loading up or pressing play.

Must be like what @Pharan said for the most part in my case, so thanks! :)

44. nathansisler

nathansisler

I'm running into the same type of weird performance. If I select my main camera while in play on the editor, it drops many fps. My game has also had a strange random feeling that the timestep changes but always reads right in the editor. I'm using geforce as well and that does seem effect things.

Zullar likes this.
  45. Zullar

Zullar

I also notice that the FPS drop depends on what object is selected in the editor. If I select an object with many components the FPS drops drastically.

46. Sluggy

Sluggy

This is to be expected. Unity has to serialize and deserialize everything in your GameObject in order to display it in the inspector panel. The panel itself will update quite consistently when you are interacting with input in any way. This obviously has a lot of overhead (and will run even slower if you are using a custom inspector). As a general rule, always make sure you have no GameObject selected in your hierarchy unless you are actively debugging it. If you are debugging something and things are getting choppy, try folding up any components you aren't using to reduce the amount of data that has to be serialized/deserialized.

47. airomagic

airomagic

I found a solution! Close the tab Profiler or turn off the Record and have fun! ;)

48. JustAnotherDude

JustAnotherDude

Can you tell us what it is ?

When can we expect a patch ? Even 2017.3.0p1 has issues, I'm still using 2017.1.2p4 because of it.

Zeitcatcher likes this.
  49. Joel_Abreu

Joel_Abreu

Just disabled my geforce overlay as mentioned in previous post by @Pharan. Seems to have fixed the issue. Thank you Very much

JamesArndt likes this.
  50. shiva-js

shiva-js

Is there a number for this issue so that we can track it?

k0dep likes this.