Search Unity

2017.2.0f3 Editor Very Slow?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by f0ff886f, Oct 15, 2017.

1. ShantiGaudreault

ShantiGaudreault

Thanks for all the various information.
    To the point about same symptoms different disease there seems to be 3 separate causes to the issues we are seeing, and they do not repro 100%.

Thanks for submitting bugs, those help a lot. We are working on this and will fix those issues.

Zullar and f0ff886f like this.
  2. Zullar

Zullar

2017.2.0f3
    I have 2 separate issues.

Issue 1:
    I notice in the editor when I click Play my framerate is very low (30FPS), but if I disable my GUI Canvas my FPS increases from 30FPS to 120FPS. My GUI is relatively simple and not changing. The specific part of the UI that generates the FPS drop is a ScrollRect.

If anybody else has low FPS in editor in play mode are you also using Unity UI? If so try and disable your canvas and see if your FPS increases significantly.

Another observation. If I build and run an .exe my FPS is good (capped at 60FPS) even with UI canvas enabled.

Issue 2:
    Editor not in play mode. I notice the most lag when getting focus of the unity editor (i.e. switching focus from Microsoft visual studio to Unity Editor). The first click on the editor when gaining focus takes a while to register... and then afterwards things are smooth.

I did not have issue #2 with 5.6.1f1. Unsure if issue #1 has always been there or is new with 2017.2.0f3.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2017
  3. screenname_taken

screenname_taken

About your first issue, yeah. In the editor my project is around 58, and when built it shoots up to 310-ish fps.
    I thought that was to be expected since you are also running the editor and any performance logging in the background.

4. ViktorEvil

ViktorEvil

my slow editor problem was fixed by disabling analytics in the services menu

5. supernanox

supernanox

Hi everyone. My problem with the editor was fixed by changing the directional light setting, like soft x hard shadows and quality. Now I can work smoother.
    Hope my experience help anybody.
    See ya!

Edit: Issue disapear disabling the Light in the editor, see the cap:

EditorLight.PNG

Last edited: Nov 19, 2017
  6. DarkFenixAironT

DarkFenixAironT

Hey guys! Disable antivirus works for me. I use windows defender (win 10). Even after enable it back unity works very fast. Maybe antivirus detects some unity activity like suspicious and after this try to scan it all time.

7. storylineteam

storylineteam

disabling antivirus won't fix the issue in my case

8. paradizIsCool

paradizIsCool

Same for me, everything is very slow, UI is slow, editor GUI could be very very slow (EditorApplication.Internal_CallUpdateFunctions could take more than 5 secs just by clicking on a EditorGUILayout.IntField or changing cursor position in it, without any modification, deep profiling is impossible)
    Animation window is unusable with UI hierarchy, I have to run if I want to see my animation
    Macbook pro 2017, macos 10.13.1

9. paradizIsCool

paradizIsCool

some screen capture of profiler
    Capture d’écran 2017-11-22 à 12.07.14.png
    Capture d’écran 2017-11-22 à 12.13.50.png
    3 frames in a row like this one Capture d’écran 2017-11-22 à 12.15.24.png
    Capture d’écran 2017-11-22 à 12.18.16.png

10. spline44

spline44

same here : 10s to alt-tab unity 2017.2 p2

11. paradizIsCool

paradizIsCool

new fun fact, since this morning my macbook pro (i7 2.8 16GB) blow like hell, but I don't really care. After one hour I check activity monitor, unity consumes between 100 and 180%, ram usage is 2,30GB. I let it 20 minutes without doing anything, cut network, nothing changed. Opening another project fix this (without killing unity), reopen my project and everything is fine (800MB, 4% CPU)
    Something is definitely going wrong.

Capture d’écran 2017-11-23 à 11.18.26.png

12. andracer108

andracer108

Some more info on my side of the problem:

I updated my version of Unity to the 2017.2 2nd patch, and the problems disappeared completely. However, they reappeared when I ran the game in the Editor while the Game tab was not maximized. They continued reappearing as well after closing and re-opening Unity and restarting my PC.

13. storylineteam

storylineteam

I updated yesterday to 2017.3b10 and things are lot better, so i can work now(i still get the "Dig" sound, and around 1sec Delay when i try to refocus/switch in the Editor, but i can leave with that).

*i have not tried 2017.2 2nd patch

14. MattM_Unity

MattM_Unity

Unity Technologies

Zullar likes this.
  15. greg-harding

greg-harding

On OSX performance is maybe slightly better than p1/p2 but still quite poor for us, particularly when any Unity UI is in the scene. Scene selection is quite slow and beachballs a lot, moving or zooming the scene camera often pauses out for seconds at a time or is very laggy. Zooming in in the scene window even pauses/lags with an empty scene.

16. f0ff886f

f0ff886f

I tested it for a bit on a test scene, and it seemed to be smoother at first glance but there is still a 1-2s lag when passing Unity Editor focus from another window (not sure if this has been that way the whole time and I just got poisoned by .2.0f3).

I will test more with rebuilding code and scene manipulation in the coming days (we will switch, have been on f3 still).

17. MattM_Unity

MattM_Unity

Unity Technologies

Couple questions:

- Are you on High Sierra?
    - Could you post here a screenshot of your profiler while performing the tasks you mentioned? That could help us narrowing down those issues on Mac :)

18. paradizIsCool

paradizIsCool

taking focus and preview on animation window (and animation window itself) performances are really better, but animation window is still almost unsable with big UI animation (even if p3 is much better than p2, GUIProcessEvent self timing is 180 instead of 520ms per frame)

Last edited: Nov 28, 2017
  19. greg-harding

greg-harding

Thanks for replying :) No, we're not running High Sierra, still back on 10.12.6 Sierra. Our hardware has been consistent for a long time - 2012 15" Retina MacBook Pro with Thunderbolt display, running Unity using 'Open in Low Resolution' to avoid retina rendering that melts fans and runs too slowly. I'll add some profiler screenshots to this post soon.

Update: Here's a few profiler screenshots moving (middle mouse drag), zooming (mouse wheel), and then rotating around (option+mouse dragging) an empty scene. The third screenshot is after a few seconds of rotating around where performance dropped significantly.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/r86sceil0jvst30/osx_editor_profiles.zip?dl=0

Last edited: Nov 28, 2017
    MattM_Unity likes this.
  20. andracer108

andracer108

For me, performance is much better. I can even run the game in the Editor with the Game tab not maximized without much lag. However, for some seconds I did experience the same issues both with the Game tab maximized and not maximized. But as said before, there is considerable improvement.

EDIT: While the Editor does not suffer from big lags spikes anymore, it does still suffer from some small lag spikes which happen quite frequently. Within the Profiler, I am noticing that Initialization.PlayerUpdateTime > WaitForTargetFPS is using 70.3% of the CPU. Is this normal?

Last edited: Nov 29, 2017
    MattM_Unity likes this.
  21. MattM_Unity

MattM_Unity

Unity Technologies

Thank you for this! We are going to keep working on this issue, and I will post updates regarding this matter on this thread as we go along.

EDIT: we have identified what could be the issue and are currently working on it. A public bug has been logged on the Unity issue tracker and you will be able to track its progress soon!

Zullar likes this.
  22. mgsummer

mgsummer

on a high end machine w/ windows 10 & just upgraded from 5.6.3 to 2017.2.0f3 ... Editor now has serious performance issues hanging 10-15 seconds when switching from any program back into Editor... issue repeats consistently.

23. MattM_Unity

MattM_Unity

Unity Technologies

Hello mgsummer!

Could you run the profiler while switching between Unity and another program, save it and send it to us?

Also, did you download the latest patch 2017.2.0p3 (https://unity3d.com/unity/qa/patch-releases)?

If you could first send us your profiler log, then patch your Unity and tell us if you're still experiencing those lag issues, that would be great! :)

Zullar likes this.
  24. MattM_Unity

MattM_Unity

Unity Technologies

Hello paradizIsCool!

Thanks for the description! Could you run the profiler while using the animation window (preferably with your big UI animation setup), save it and send it to us?

Zullar likes this.
  25. greg-harding

greg-harding

Glad to help :) Was it related to the 14k+ gui calls per frame while rotating the scene camera or is that normal?

26. MattM_Unity

MattM_Unity

Unity Technologies

Indeed. On Mac, we are allowing a lot more mouse events that the engine can handle. We are currently working on it :)

27. greg-harding

greg-harding

Sweet, looking forward to these fixes for both the editor and my sanity :)

28. paradizIsCool

paradizIsCool

@MattBF

I just rebook my mac and things are slightly better (p3 is definitely much better than the others). I just found something that explain a part of this, something I've never noticed before, animate a recttransform may log a warning "Could not register property modification for animation binding m_AnchoredPosition.z of object..." and this cause a part of the drop (80ms).
    You should have received data in your inbox.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2017
  29. paradizIsCool

paradizIsCool

I just get a new editor cpu consumption peak after few ios build. I suspect their is a link with mdworker (spotlight processes), I always have mdworker going crazy at the same time. That may be a simple coincidence but I don't believe in coincidence...

30. 00christian00

00christian00

Same here. Everything is slower.
    -Slow startup time
    -Slow custom editor windows
    -Sometime slow to return in focus when alt-tabbing
    -Slow play mode.

Everything was a lot faster till 2017.1. I was using 2017.2.p1 and I just installed p3, will let you know if it's better, give me some time to test.

Oh and by the way, this is not directly related to 2017.2( probably 2017.1, can't remember) but the new way of building for Android is also slower. Why is it doing all the checks everytime?
    I prefer the old way that was just throwing errors at the end of the build process.

31. f0ff886f

f0ff886f

Hi everyone, I've upgraded our project to 2017.2.0p3 and I have to say its much much better. In general things are smooth, I don't have any more terrible slowdowns while already in the editor. Alt-tab performance is much better as well.

Highly recommended for everyone to update, and thank you for the patch.

Win10 x64, DX11, NVIDIA GPU here.

MattM_Unity likes this.
  32. 00christian00

00christian00

Same first impression here on p3. Everything seem much snappier. Only the start up time is significantly slower imho.

33. MattM_Unity

MattM_Unity

Unity Technologies

Good to know :)

We're still working on defects that some specific users are experiencing.

34. screenname_taken

screenname_taken

Well i just got this on p3: "Assertion failed: Assertion failed on expression: 'device.IsInsideFrame()'"
    In general i think that while it's better, it still has ways to go till it's 2017.1 good.
    Sometimes as i'm simply translating or revolving around in the scene viewport it will freeze for a sec and then resume working.

35. JoMaHo

JoMaHo

Running on 2015 Macbook Pro, 2017.2.0p3, everything is syrup.
    When I ran on 5.6 it was much snappier; almost impossible now to keep up the motivation.
    Even an empty scene takes about 10 seconds to start into play mode.... Unbearable!

36. MattM_Unity

MattM_Unity

Unity Technologies

Hello JoMaHo!

Could you give us a bit more information? (mainly OS and GPU)

Also, if you could profile your editor while your issues are happening, save it and send it to us, that would help us! :)

37. JoMaHo

JoMaHo

Her are my specs - not top notch, I know, but it worked so much better on 5.6:
    MacOS 12.6,
    i5, 2.4 Ghz
    8GB RAM
    Intel Iris 1536 MB

I did actually count the seconds from hitting play til it enters play mode: 13seconds on
    a empty scene....

I did a profiling and sendt it to you....

38. MattM_Unity

MattM_Unity

Unity Technologies

Thanks, we'll look into this!

Zullar likes this.
  39. andracer108

andracer108

Just a little bit of an update. While everything seems better, like I said before, there are still some lag spikes occurring in my scene. I only told you this just in case you hadn't seen my edit. :)

Thanks for the help!

P.S. Are there more ways on how I can help you solve our problems rather than just describing them?

40. MattM_Unity

MattM_Unity

Unity Technologies

Hello!

Yes there are :) You could profile the editor while you're experiencing those issues, save it and send it to us. You could also send us your Editor.log (see https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/LogFiles.html)

Zullar likes this.
  41. SilverStorm

SilverStorm

I first found this issue in Unity 5 and it seems it's still here. I will contribute what I can.

Running the profiler in 5.6 it seems most of the processing is spent on Gfx.waitforpresent.

*Update1
    When in play mode if my resolution is not maximized - like literally if my game view takes 80% of my screen space with the rest being the inspector then the Fps is 3000 but the moment i hit maximize game view and it goes from 80%-100% by the inspector disappearing then the fps drops to 140fp average....so maybe the fullscreen aspect of Unity is bugged or something?

*Update2
    It seems this issue was posted back a while ago and is still active with no fix found and that was 1 year ago.:
    https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/is...0694.37861685.1512369779-231858606.1512369779

Last edited: Dec 4, 2017
  42. SilverStorm

SilverStorm

*Update3
    I Just installed a fresh 2017.2.0f3 and created a completely project with an empty scene and ONLY turned vsync on and went into maximized playmode at the bug is still there....this bug might be way bigger than I thought if it can affect a fresh install too.

43. screenname_taken

screenname_taken

So this just happened: I started typing into a text box for the UI and then after just the first few characters, the editor was extremely slow, i would type one character and it would appear a few seconds after.

44. f0ff886f

f0ff886f

2017.2.0f3 is known to be broken. Try 2017.2.0p3 (confirmed better here), or perhaps the newly minted 2017.2.0p4 (I haven't tried it yet).

45. SilverStorm

SilverStorm

Thanks Vostok4 do you have a link to the minted 2017.2.0p4?
    Is that one a patch or a full install meaning I gotta get rid of current Unity 2017?
    I am also looking outside Unity because two separate installs may point to a driver video card issue I thinks....

46. Zeitcatcher

Zeitcatcher

https://unity3d.com/unity/qa/patch-releases

it's a full install.

47. SilverStorm

SilverStorm

I rolled back a driver from 2 years ago, installed the Unity 2017.2.0p4 above and even disabled Asus Sonic sound stage and adjusted many settings from GI off, Dx11 to Dx9 etc and none of these helped.

The only clue I have is when I have the profiler open and I am not in maximized playmode I get 4000fps and the Gfx.wait for present is not there. When I enter maximized play mode it goes to about 140fps (Profiler closed to 250fps (Profiler open) and the Gfx.waitforpresent shows up as taking 90% of the resources....here is a image.

The Gfx.waitforpresent only occurs when Vsync is set to Not Sync obviously.

Again with both 5.6 and 2017 so what exactly is Gfx waiting for and why only in maximized?
    CropperCapture[5].png

48. Zeitcatcher

Zeitcatcher

You might find more luck if you submit a bug report with a repro project, because really this thread is about poor performance when interacting with Unity Editor (Inspector panels, Animation window, etc), and yours seems to be a different issue.

49. SilverStorm

SilverStorm

When I click deep profile something else begins to take up the fps regarding Gameview.onGui but it's an emtpy scene.
    Anyway I reported the bug report so we will see.

*Update I downloaded the 32 bit version Unity 5.0 just out of curiosity and aside from it feeling very lightweight going maximized with Vsync off shows the full 4000 fps I SHOULD be getting so I can confirm the bug was introduced in later versions of the 5 series and is still present to this day which kind of sucks....

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
  50. f0ff886f

f0ff886f

I now have a new issue that is causing my gripe, both on 2017.2.0p3 and 2017.2.0p4. If I open a separate panel in its own window (the profiler for example), the entire editor goes to huge stalls every second or so:

upload_2017-12-8_0-55-5.png

upload_2017-12-8_0-55-43.png

I've attached the profile trace as well. This makes working in Rewired for example near impossible (if you click during the 1 second stall, the input event is lost).

Attached Files: