Search Unity

Official 2017.1 released

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by SaraCecilia, Jul 11, 2017.

1. eppz

eppz

Is there any new way to exclude folder from build?
    Managing / versioning plugin projects (both native and managed code) is still a headache.

2. my_little_kafka

my_little_kafka

Same issue here.
    1080 - looks nice on both 5.6 and 2017.1
    720(5.6) - looks nice
    720(2017.1) - looks really janky

There is a new option in the Quality Settings - Resolution Scaling Fixed DPI Factor
    But it doesn't change anything.

3. eppz

eppz

I've shocked before, but since 5.3.2 you can exclude files and folders from build with "~" suffix.
    See 5.3.2 Release Notes (687655), and the updated Unity - Manual: Special folder names.

4. RenderSystemStudio

RenderSystemStudio

Yes this is really a big problem. 2017.1 is unusable for standalone build. How we can solve this?
    Lower resolution than native is unusable.

JamesArndt likes this.
  5. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

2017.1 is the king of hiccups and this is new because in 5.6 playback in the editor was silky smooth. Some hiccups have to do with compute shader variants which hogs up 2 full seconds so I logged bug 931625

Lex4art likes this.
  6. johnartune

johnartune

Segment Scale Compensation problerms:
    Rigging in Maya and the joints have segment scale compensation, but when I import to unity still have no segment scale compensation joints. same as before wrong joints scale animation.

7. jvhgamer

jvhgamer

Great! Excited to check it out, but I have to be honest. This sentence has me in a funk. Is now available and read the notes... something seems off.

8. visualbruno

visualbruno

Hi

You were right. I set BuildOptions to None (so the compression is not using LZ4) and the APK is the same size as Unity 5.6.2.
    Thank you

9. angel_m

angel_m

I am still with 5.1.4 because I never got the same performance in my project with any 5.X later version.
    I suppose Unity 2017.1 is much worse like in every major update.
    First priority must be performance (and less bugs) not fancy new features.

Quatum1000, John3D, MrEsquire and 2 others like this.
  10. elbows

elbows

There would be a ton more moaning on the forum if this were generally true, as opposed to being true for specific projects or features or hardware/platforms. So, much more information required, because for me 5.x saw performance improvements and smoother editor behaviour over the life of 5.x, and 2017.1 and .2 beta also perform very well for me.

11. John3D

John3D

I will try the latest version of Unity soon. Thanks!

12. jdth

jdth

Awesome that it has scripting runtime support for .NET 4.6. However, I am still having the same issue with the Api Compatibility Level that only targets .NET 2.0 or .NET 2.0 subset (using MacOS), if I use Windows it works fine..

Any ideas on how to solve that? Is that something that should be working with the new version of Unity?

-------- Solved creating a Local copy. Careful when dealing with Cloud versions!

Last edited: Jul 19, 2017
  13. yoonitee

yoonitee

Great news! \:)/

BTW. VideoComponent not working for OSX 10.9.5. (Symbol not found: _CMTimeMultiplyByRatio). I've submitted a bug.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2017
  14. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

Thanks man good find...

15. yoonitee

yoonitee

Are there any tutorials for the timeline feature?

16. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

And even in Unity 2017, there is still no native way to have lightmaps on prefabs. I am using the script and the overexposure is STILL HAPPENING, making my levels unable to be lit.

17. GamerPET

GamerPET

Gotta love how the fist comment in this topic is something negative. ALWAYS with the negativy.

18. KEngelstoft

KEngelstoft

Unity Technologies

Indirect resolution is only used when doing Enlighten lightmap bakes. The progressive lightmapper is not using that value, as it is doing path tracing instead of radiosity.

19. caiojahara

caiojahara

20. LavapotionNiklas

LavapotionNiklas

I tried upgrading to 2017.1, but there's a bug with the Test Runner that makes the Editor freeze every time.
    It also stops all the Unity Cloud Builds from working, since I believe they suffer from the same problem when running our unit tests. So we had to go back to 5.6.2.

I've tested it on Windows 10 and the latest version of 2017.1 - and it only seems to happen when having a lot of unit tests(500+).
    Also created a bug ticket with case number: 935125

If anyone want to try and reproduce it, I've attached a script that generates a thousand dummy tests. Just put it in an Editor Folder in a new project and press navigation bar->TestGenerator->Generate and run a test and everything will freeze.

I would love to see this fixed as soon as possible - since it blocks us from updating. I don't want to start removing tests or comment them out just to be able to build the game. That would go against every fiber of my being ;)

Attached Files:

21. dikkeduif

dikkeduif

Hi congrats with the new release!

I was wondering if right to left text support was added, such as Hebrew or Arabic, or if this is coming in one of the updates at a later stage? I have a solution for multi line right to left text, but a native solution would be more than welcome!

22. PaulusLimma

PaulusLimma

I didn't get C# 6 features in Visual Studio too. Code with ie. null propagation compiled fine in Unity, but editor underlined it. Solved this by modifying .csproj files. Change line
    <LangVersion Condition=" '$(VisualStudioVersion)' != '10.0' ">4</LangVersion>
    to
    <LangVersion Condition=" '$(VisualStudioVersion)' != '10.0' ">6</LangVersion>

23. jdscogin

jdscogin

When you open an new project and then try to save it, it selects the Asset folder, then after compiling it, it says you can't save in Asset folder. Why did it pick Asset folder in the first place. I don't think it did before 2017. Thanks

24. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

Unity 5.6.3 is out, for those guys who care...

nxrighthere and larku like this.
  25. Mikael-H

Mikael-H

I'm using 2017 with .Net 4.6 now and it all seems to work well. Upgrading didn't cause any major issues. Just one tine thing, which I do not know if it is intentional or not. It seems the decimal separator changes to ',' for me when switching to 4.6 backend in the editor. It also changes the default .ToString() result for doubles to include ',' instead which caused some funny bugs for me before I could figure out what was causing it and added invariant culture as parameter.

Is this a bug? If so I'll submit a bug report! Is it a setting? Is so, can I please have my '.' decimal separators back? :D
    My OS is on a culture setting which uses ',' as separator, but I prefer not to use it in Unity if I do not have to.

26. Baste

Baste

There was another thread that mentioned this. There seems to be a change where Unity uses the user's culture instead of an English one. See here.

Mikael-H likes this.
  27. c17vfx

c17vfx

soft shadows no options

28. adrian-lupsan

adrian-lupsan

The "Interior collision" option for particles was removed... why? :\

29. mattis89

mattis89

We dont need a new terrain system. We have gaia and cts.. what we need is bugfixes for the rigidbody and character controller.. the endless crashes I experience ...

dadude123 and Quatum1000 like this.
  30. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

We dont need features that are done better by others in the asset store.. hence they bought text mesh pro, a good example. We need performance and bug fixes I agree..

ArachnidAnimal and Quatum1000 like this.
  31. KarlKarl2000

KarlKarl2000

Is anyone else having jittering in their animations when using blend states?

32. Quatum1000

Quatum1000

Did you tried Net4.6 ? For me 2017 hiccups reduce from 60to55 frames to 60to59 frames on an totally empty project with a camera only.

33. GB51

GB51

I've been away from things for a few weeks and having decided to give Unity 2017.1 a try, particularly Unity 2017.1p3 and 4, I was pleasantly surprised by the huge performance boost! Unlike Unity 5.6 and prior, micro-stuttering and choppy behavior now happily seems to be finally a thing of the past, at least for the most part! My current projects now run very smoothly and noticeably faster on lower settings on my Intel n2830, Intel HD powered machine even at full-screen resolution! And, as expected, runs ultra-smoothly on my Intel i7 quad core, GTX 960 GPU; all that without really any optimizations applied at all! My projects are not too graphics intensive, but do make heavy use of physics along with some simple AI! Impressive to say the least!

Prior to this experience, I was giving Unity some serious doubt as to its usefulness as a professional tool of choice for indie game development. I became even more disenchanted after learning of gamers downloading Unity games from Steam complaining of major micro-stuttering and choppy behavior. Now that Unity has addressed most of these issues, developers can now concentrate on developing great games without having to concern themselves so much with optimization even though that will still be an important factor for producing high quality games!

Thank you, Unity!

34. GB51

GB51

I was also having some performance issues before using .net 4.6.
    I'll be working on some of those issues myself; hopefully find a solution fast for those!

35. GB51

GB51

Would you happen to be using a shared Intel GPU by any chance as I am?

36. mdbemt

mdbemt

hi my friends . please help me !
    i test some for create my game apk for example install android studio,install android sdk manager and...
    but i always unity get me error
    if you know about this problem please help me!!!

37. Zaelot

Zaelot

freedomize likes this.
  38. theolagendijk

theolagendijk

I think because it's not recommended to install the patch versions unless you're suffering from one of the issues solved in the patch. The non patch releases are better tested ( and hopefully more stable ) releases.

39. Zaelot

Zaelot

..but this is a high security risk that applies to everyone? Remote code execution is no joke.

freedomize likes this.
  40. theolagendijk

theolagendijk

Sorry, in this case you are absolutely right! Should have been in the form of a mandatory update ( at least for Windows ) not an optional patch.

Zaelot likes this.
  41. scary_code_monkey

scary_code_monkey

So - I get the security warning email, decide that this is a good time to upgrade (incrementaly using the "update" system in the editor) from 5.5.1 to 2017.1 - Install & apply patch : now my projects won't open. I get an error/warning on the Standard Assets project every time I open Unity : - I continue & 'Save Project' (But the error keeps reapearing every time I open Unity)

Can somebody shed any light - It has already cost me approx 10GB of my precious metered connection and I need to get on with my projects !

42. elbows

elbows

I dont know if this is the same issue you are having, but I have noticed with some versions in recent months that they do not seem to recognise that the version of the project has been updated by a new editor, unless I first change one of the project settings (I dont think it matters which one but I probably tried changing something in player or quality settings) before using the save project menu item. Then next time I load the project I dont get the warning anymore.

Worth a try I guess, please let us know if it works.

43. scary_code_monkey

scary_code_monkey

[Windows 10 64bit, Home edition]

Well : that apeared to work for the version error on the Standard Assets Example project (thank you) - However I still cannot open any of my projects created in 5.5.1 or even create a new "empty" project : I am going to try a fresh reinstall with all AV and Anti Malware turned off (never had to do this before & all the premissions look fine for unity in AV & Anti Malware ) && I have had (I think) 3-4 version upgrades successfully on this computer (4.9, 5.2,5.3 etc ?) - I have found a lot of stuff (whilst searching for the Editor.log) in my 'Users' folder which look to me to be leftovers from previous versions ... is there a Unity clean up tool one can run (Obviously not deleting my work!) to make sure that I have a clean install ?

44. Zaelot

Zaelot

You can get the old versions from https://unity3d.com/get-unity/download/archive (in case nothing helps).
    Deleting Library and Temp folders in project root is safe, as Unity will recreate these folders on it's own. It definitely should bring you the dialog to convert to the new version.
    (And of course, remember to keep everything in version control and take other backups before trying any big endeavours.)

45. scary_code_monkey

scary_code_monkey

Humm : I am sure it is partly related to this : https://forum.unity3d.com/threads/error-loading-launcher.486127/page-2.
    I have upgraded step by step with all AV off and still it persists (Plus I show the launcher errors described in the above) - I managed to get one project to work : by re-importing it at each and every upgrade stage (Now it is a 2017 version - so downgrading is a REAL pain + I point blank refuse to do this for 10 odd projects : I have a recent Hi-Spec PC but it still takes hours for each project - I wasted an entire Sunday on updating that that one project... ). I still cannot create a new project (2d or 3d): I still cannot open any of the other 5.5 projects for upgrading. Frankly this is ridiculous : with 10 days to go I have <1gb left on my metered internet - this messing about has cost me almost 20gb ! I keep rigorous backups to an external HDD (thank god) - but this is totally screwing my productivity. And to add salt to the wound , I have just had my 'chirpy' subscription 'Invoice paid' email from Unity - all I can say, is that had I known this I would have just patched 5.5 for the security problem. & seeing all the 'v. 2017' Broken threads , I am thinking that perhaps Unity should have slowed down and kept the big release for '2018' - or kept 2017 in beta for a lot longer... For now I am going to try to clone my 2017 project - because I cant create New, and try to work it that way...

46. scary_code_monkey

scary_code_monkey

To reply to my own post :
    The Clone would not even open .....
    BUT - A solution -
    It appears that the https://forum.unity3d.com/threads/error-loading-launcher.486127/page-2. IS the problem... Its inability to make the login/cloud connections basicaly breaks all file handling (& linkage) functions - the solution ,(for opening other projects, Importing earlier version Projects, New projects) appears to be: Make sure that there is no default project opening in Unity & that you are not logged in.
    ergo: Open Up & make sure you are logged out , close ,re-start with the 'alt' key held down (windows only?) - then you can do stuff "offline".
    AFIK & IMHO -
    "[CEF] undefined in file:///C%3A%2FUsers%2F<UserName>%2FAppData%2FRoaming%2FUnity%2FPackages%2Fnode_modules%2Funity-editor-home%2Fdist/assets/unity-editor-home.js at line 39"
    (and linked ? )
    "Error loading launcher://unity/C:/Users/<UserName>/AppData/Roaming/Unity/Packages/node_modules/unity-editor-home/dist/index.html?code=YG_CvbFdovsYJjonKnC_lQ006f&locale=en&session_state=835a798f3b58c22c50f1d7d8a0925913b7b25b6f6c6f67df50b50fb485f71efe.MWamlEdNc6lah7Dz57bFWg006f"
    'unity-editor-home.js' (and index.html) is basicaly the functionality behind your "Home Popup window" - a 'WebPage' (in its broadest sense) and as with any .js - it is finikerty over any script errors ... Not knowing the back end, it will be a bit of a pig for me to to debug : but as far as I can see a) either a httpRequest is going unfulfilled or b) 39 has simple typo ... if my guess is right this should not need a socking great rebuild/patch & I fail to understand why this has not been fixed in +31 days ("it will be fixed in 2017.2(final) " - is poor.., Given the amount of apparent grief this is causing , I would have thought either fix the ServerSide ~ no 2017.2 needed ~, or release an fixed unity-editor-home.js & let us manualy update it....) [Pls. excuse spelling - in a rush]

47. sonofbryce

sonofbryce

I've just upgraded from 5.6 and 2017.1 is running terrible on my Windows 10 machine. Laggy when just clicking on game objects in the hierarchy. Delaying and random stuttering in play mode. It's a mess!!! What's going on??

Edit:
    Ok, turns out it's a problem with Oculus Runtime 1.17. I just happened to encounter it the day I updated to 2017.1. This driver update causes problems with Unity polling for USB devices, which can lead to some kinda conflict. In my case I had to disconnect my FiiO usb headphone amp. More in this thread: https://forum.unity3d.com/threads/lag-when-switching-between-editor-windows.487352/

Last edited: Sep 1, 2017
  48. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

Sorry 2017.1 but 2017.2 dethroned you as the king of glitching playback.

49. brodan100105

brodan100105

Its great to have the bug fixes and new features and all. but i think i'll just go back to Unity 5. because the new update is too hard to understand if you are a unity 5 user like me. or at least it is for me, the way of doing things i learned do not fully work anymore. such as problems with scripting, i put a public gameobject in and it dosent show up in the inspector.

50. PedroGV

PedroGV

I see that v2017.1.1f1, but it does not include the fix for issue 935289, which it has been released for v2017.2.0b10.

For those of use with editor extensions that rely on the proper behaviour of OnHierarchyChange operation, this is far from optimal since it forces us to recommend customers to install v2017.1.1pX when it gets out, instead of a final release.

So, any chance to get a v2017.1.1f2 with the fix soon?