Search Unity

Bug 2017.1 crashes on game-view related actions

Discussion in 'Linux' started by ReaktorDave, Jul 14, 2017.

1. ReaktorDave

ReaktorDave

You can crash Unity 2017.1 with several game-view related options. I guess there are more bugs like these and I'm just scratching the surface. System is Ubuntu 17.04 with 12GB RAM and Intel Ivy Bridge i5.
    Ratio/Resolution-Change crash
    1. Create and open blank project
    2. Open Game-View Tab
    3. Click on "Free Aspect" and choose another ratio
    4. If it doesn't crash, repeat step 3. Crashes 100% on 1-5 tries.

Maximized-Window Crash:
    1. Create and open a blank project
    2. Maximize any window by clicking on the hamburger-button right and there on "Maximize" or by pressing "Shift+Space"
    3. Unity crashes
    This also means that Unity crashes when you have the "Maximize On Start"-Button active and go into play mode. Which is the standard setting of Unity. So basically, for every new installation on Linux, Unity will crash when going into play mode.

And there is another bug that offsets windows:
    1. Create and open a blank project
    2. Grab the game-view tab and drag it so it becomes a "free" window
    3. Click on "Free Aspect" and see the menu is offset

The first two bugs are showstopper and they make it impossible to work on my project as it automatically enforces a fixed display ratio, so it crashes right after going into play mode.

2. Tak

Tak

3. ReaktorDave

ReaktorDave

The linked bug report is rather unspecific. However, I had experienced that bug with Unity 5.6 too (but didn't bother to report as it was so trivial to workaround).
    I'm using an Intel Core i5-3380M CPU@2.90GHz with four logical cores as GPU. The driver is this repository:
    http://ppa.launchpad.net/oibaf/graphics-drivers/ubuntu zesty main

I'm using that repository's driver to get OpenGL 4.2 compatibility.

4. ReaktorDave

ReaktorDave

Any update on this?

5. Tak

Tak

Sorry, nothing yet, apart from "looks like a driver issue"...

6. ReaktorDave

ReaktorDave

Just tested on a different computer, same os (Ubuntu 17.04), but using a GTX460 with latest official drivers.
    Crashes are not happening.
    So I will try different driver version on my i5GPU.

However the window offset is also reproducable on the gtx460, so that is likely Unity's fault.

7. ReaktorDave

ReaktorDave

Went back to official ubuntu 17.04 Intel HD4000 gpu drivers. Still have all the crashes described in the first post. This is definitely a regression in Unity 2017.1.0/2017.1.1 as this does not happen with 5.6.1.

8. ReaktorDave

ReaktorDave

Changing the GameView-window still crashes on fresh Ubuntu 18.04 with Intel HD4000 and Unity 2017.4.0.f1
    Console simply sais "Segmentation fault".
    Please help!

9. ReaktorDave

ReaktorDave

Whatever it is, the crashes were introduced with Unity v2017.1 as the issue is not in Unity v5.6.1.

10. ReaktorDave

ReaktorDave

With Unity 2017.4.8, this is still happening on maximizing any window (right-click on the window's tab and select maximize) on Ubuntu 18.04 with out-of-the-box drivers on both display servers (Xorg and Wayland). If Unity devs need anymore info, I will happily provide it.