Search Unity

2014 Windows and Windows Phone Games Competition - Congratulations winners!

Discussion in 'Windows' started by Graham-Dunnett, May 21, 2014.

1. AlanOToole

AlanOToole

2. zworp

zworp

Can anyone confirm that they have gotten the email?
    Don't have to say what position or with what game.

My game got a fair amount of attention from Microsoft so I was hoping to get within the top 23 places. But I guesss not.

3. Meceka

Meceka

Our app, "Delivery Simulator" released in June 16, has been downloaded 450k in a month, has 4.5+ rating in all regions, 665 ratings from US. And each day it becomes "featured app" by windows phone team in various countries (Tomorrow it will be featured in China, Saudi Arabia, South Africa, Turkey, United Arab Emirates). We was expecting our app to be in top 23.

We couldn't receive a developer device from earlier windows offer either. Is there a problem with our application? Can you please respond me with e-mail or pm? We are dissapointed and demotivated.

Thank you.

http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/store/app/delivery-simulator/356105f9-152a-40e5-b084-bdf04a13b412

Mintah likes this.
  4. ZoomieRoomie

ZoomieRoomie

I'm really looking forward to see what kind of games won considering all those games that didn't. Especially because no winner seems to be lurking this forum at all.

Meceka likes this.
  5. zuzzu

zuzzu

Meceka, I was pretty sure that you will be one of the top three winners, along with AcidArrow and his Lost Echo. I was also pretty confident about my game getting the mention (with slight 1% hope of being 3rd).

Well, maybe Aurore had wrong info and authors of these 20 games with honorable mentions still didn't get notified. Possibly there is no need to contact them a week earlier as it is not such a big deal to give a license compared to 50000$ transfer ;)

6. mike950

mike950

I don't know why but I always get the feeling I don't know the right people when entering these contests lol

7. Meceka

Meceka

Our minimum expectation was to earn a unity pro liscense and hearing Auore's post it feels unfair. We was "hoping" for 10000$ or higher but not being in top 23 with our game would be unfair. I hope we are mis-informed.

8. AlanOToole

AlanOToole

It definitely looks like everyones work is amazing to say the least. I'll tell you all this, I am honored to be among the ranks with each and everyone one of you. I think we can all see the amount of blood, sweat and tears that were put into our games.

For those who haven't seen it yet, we're keeping track of everyones entries on this thread:

http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/windows-and-windows-phone-contest-entries-listing.262213/

So feel free to post your game there with screenshots, videos, etc. Let's make the most of our entries!

9. co0led

co0led

i'm sorry but i think that the 20 honorable mentions dont need exactly to be the 4th to 23th games in ranking. There are a lot of factors that could make them into honorable mentions. Maybe the 20 HM are only for games developed with Unity free with cool effects that usually are made with pro only.

10. ekhader

ekhader

Ya I was hoping for something like this as well, but I can't say it's unfair until i see the winners, so Unity they better be damn good games :p

11. mike950

mike950

Hmm this had me thinking.. What happens if there were say 4 incredible games. Does anyone know how ties are handled?

12. latas

latas

Where are the contest results? It's supposed to be published yesterday?

13. Imre

Imre

It was explained in contest "Terms and ..."

mike950 likes this.
  14. Mintah

Mintah

I thought you guys won for sure :/ ... If you haven't gotten an email for top 23, then I reaaally wonder who won :/ ...

15. mike950

mike950

Ah got it thanks!
    Of course the programmer in me says:
    if (QualityOfSubmissionGame1 == QualityOfSubmissionGame2) {
    winner = Random();
    }
    I'm guessing?

16. Imre

Imre

"In the event of a tie at any prize level, the entrant whose Submission received the higher score in the "Quality of Submission" category, as determined by the judges at their sole discretion, will be deemed the potential applicable winner." -> http://unity3d.com/contest/windows/terms ..sounds like rand(); :)

Last edited: Aug 14, 2014
  17. zuzzu

zuzzu

Considering how many people with good games are complaining here I think it is possible that Unity Pro winners were not notified on their wins.

We will have to wait until Monday to get that confirmed by Unity staff. In case I'm wrong it would be nice, if one of the Unity Pro winners would let us know that he has received an e-mail (without getting into details).

18. mike950

mike950

Haha yeah
    I could never be a judge for this. I would give everyone 10's on a scale of 1 to 10..you guys are all great.
    Then I guess I would need a c# script for that rand() function :)

19. ZoomieRoomie

ZoomieRoomie

Considering that, I am guessing everyone has been contacted and confirmed his win. Those people were probably just such pros they never felt the need to check this forum ^^

20. PeterShoferistov

PeterShoferistov

Well, it was worth a shot :)

21. zuzzu

zuzzu

Yeah, that may be an explanation :D

22. latas

latas

Well, I don't know if winners have already received a notification or not, but the results should were published on August, 13th. So anyway, there is a delay on this issue. We'll see what's happening.

23. ZoomieRoomie

ZoomieRoomie

They said winners will publicly be announced next week and were contacted yesterday.

24. latas

latas

Anyway I'm not a winner :) I didn't receive anything.

25. zworp

zworp

Haha very nice game, mine is kind of similar. Although mine only got forklifts. ;D
    Getting pretty mixed reviews but a lot of features and about half a million installs in WP8.
    http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/store/app/extreme-forklifting/b785635d-c637-44d5-8816-3d81c2b9a2c0

(trailer)

Was hoping for a Unity Pro license at least, but seems not.

Meceka likes this.
  26. Aurore

Aurore

Director of Real-Time Learning

I need to find out the exact date that people started to be notified, this is all handled by an external prize distribution company.

AlanOToole likes this.
  27. ZoomieRoomie

ZoomieRoomie

So do you have to find out when or if all 23 people have been notified?

28. mike950

mike950

I'm not sure if I should believe there's still hope or not haha

Also why do we need to know that you need to know the exact dates? Very confusing...

Last edited: Aug 15, 2014
  29. prizas

prizas

Is there an official number of entries?

30. Aurore

Aurore

Yes ALL 23 have been notified by e-mail.

Can't remember the exact number, but over 600

prizas likes this.
  31. mike950

mike950

Oh well my game had a lot of levels and got more challenging and fun as you progressed.
    I'm guessing the winners must have been quick play type games.

32. Aurore

Aurore

FYI The first round of winner notifications went out on the 5th of August, then another reminder on the 12th of August.

33. mike950

mike950

Ok believe it or not I think there could still be the possibility that someone out there hasn't responded and there was a glitch in the email or it's in someones spam folder because all 23 have been notified but not necessarily responded and the last word was waiting for one person...And also is the 4 days to respond requirement still valid?

34. creat327

creat327

Hi there,

I read so much drama... of course winners come to this forum, but almost every contest requires all winners to NOT announce themselves until the organization has made it public. Otherwise, what a crappy announcement would it be if everyone knew the winners before they said it right? Saying that you've got an email is basically saying that you've won, which would violate the agreement. At least that's how 90% of contests I know work.

So in short, if we've got an email, congrats. If we didn't... well, we didn't. We'll have to wait for the official announcement to know who won.

35. latas

latas

I think you look a bit stressed :) From my guess, Unity people is in the GamesCom which is being celebrated in Colonia ( Germany ). Because of that I guess the notifications, modifications of the web pages and many other things are not being taken in place. So I think there is a delay. Probably from Microsoft side, there is already a selection of winners, but who knows. What I'm pretty sure is, if anyone has received an email about 50000$ prize, there would be some twitter, or note in any place. It's very difficult to hide something like that.

In fact, from my side, we consider we did a nice and great job. It is a very big project, more than you can see because we developed at same time, Android, iOS, MacOSX, Windows Phone and Windows Store release. We also developed a complete multiplayer game crossed platform, without using any of the existent platforms. So we were able to make a multiplayer game which is really fast to play and starts matches one after other with less than 10 seconds between matches.

That was great.

Also you can play with your friends, against unknown users, and share your profile between any of your devices. For example you can start playing in an Android device, keep on playing at work, with your Windows Phone device, and finally play at home from your MacOS.

But for your information we didn't receive any email regarding to that. We receives emails from Microsoft since several weeks ago being featured game in all around the world countries.

Here is the link to the Unity Forum where we have published our game: #40

Best regards.

36. mike950

mike950

Actually technically I don't think they have to remain silent. At least it's not in the official rules. So winners feel free :)

37. mike950

mike950

Man hard to believe that didn't win anything. I wonder what place it came in?
    It would be kinda cool since there were 600+ entries maybe each person that didn't win could contribute $2 and we can vote on the game that should have won a runner up prize?

38. latas

latas

In fact I think the glory is beyond those 50.000$. We're an small indie developer team of 3 guys. We sleep very few since more than one year ago. We began developing games in 2D, we moved into games for kids, and now we moved to 3D using Unity. We have purchased Pro Licenses of Unity, and iOS. We've spent a lot of money as we could do. But the most difficult for anyone is promote the games.

You can develop the best game ever, and still you will so far from any success. Thinks like Flappy Bird, happens once each million. It's like be Steve Jobs, or something like that. It happens few times.

So for us, the promotion of our games, and being recognized in the market, is better than 50000$. Believe me, there is more money waiting for you if you can reach the right target for your game,

It is very difficult to mix the right ingredients. As I say many times, this is like if you want to create Coke. You know what the ingredients are, but how to mix it, that's the point.

So I give away the money prize and I change it by being featured one month continuosly on each store as soon as I release a new game :)

39. mike950

mike950

Ah true..you can't put a price on love..
    And I doubt flappy bird would have been in the top 23..
    But imagine..you could take the prize money and just dump it into advertising the game.
    So something like a peoples choice award could help you get the word out...

40. creat327

creat327

Ours is this one www.minidogfight.com
    In a soon to be released version it will be multiplayer. Still undecided whether to release it as an update or as a whole new game.

41. mike950

mike950

wow looks great! I can't imagine this didn't win something!

42. mike950

mike950

I just thought of something scary. Am I correct that no email confirmations were sent that we have entered the contest successfully?
    What if we entered our email address incorrectly? There would be no way to respond to a winner notification.

43. Meceka

Meceka

We didn't get a confirmation either and we couldn't get developer token at first place. Their system is really low quality. Some entries probably didn't reach them.

44. mike950

mike950

Omwe were
    We were supposed to get email confirmations? I didn't get one.
    I really thought my game was good enough to win something. Maybe I was never entered?

45. latas

latas

I think, we don't know the complete game list. If we see all of games in the contest list probably we guess if we should be at the top or not. Actually, we're only guessing that we could be winners because we're very confidents with our creations, but who knows....

46. mike950

mike950

Ah so true its like your baby is the cutest baby in the world.
    But my game really is the cutest baby..well I'm very objective because i've made some bad games lol.
    So maybe after we see the list I can post it someplace to get a bunch of people to tell me it was an ugly baby?
    And I'll be soo sad if it would have won and it was never entered :(

47. mheyman89

mheyman89

Haha awesome game! I was wondering, do you do any advertising for your game? I'm getting a lot of downloads in China/Indonesia but not much anywhere else. Haven't been featured and am no where near half a million. Congrats to you tho!

48. zworp

zworp

Thanks. I made a post on reddit.com/r/windowsphone/ about it just as it was approved, and then it got reviewed by a few winPhone sites (wpcentral seemed the most important). But no advertising other than that.
    Microsoft featured it a lot.

49. latas

latas

Still no news about the contest. It would be great at least some Official Message regarding to the status. It is clear there is a delay. But it would be elegant send a positive message to the people waiting for the results, what's the current status and what is the new deadline date. This situation only promote rumors.

50. mike950

mike950

Maybe they're busy preparing Unity Pro licenses for all contestants? hahaha wishful thinking