Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

2014 Windows and Windows Phone Games Competition - Congratulations winners!

Discussion in 'Windows' started by Graham-Dunnett, May 21, 2014.

1. pumpkinszwan

pumpkinszwan

Not me. I don't expect my little game to win anything though...maybe a Unity Pro license if they take pity on me :)

2. fifthknotch

fifthknotch

I don't know if anyone could say if they have

Last edited: Aug 5, 2014
  3. yoonitee

yoonitee

Well I didn't hear anything today so I guess I didn't win anything. _:(_

4. Mintah

Mintah

I didn't hear anything yet either :/ ... Each time I got an email notification I got excited, then it turned out to be some random newsletter. I've also checked my junk-email folder as well just incase, but no luck :(

5. SpacePixel

SpacePixel

As far as the other Windows 'offer' contest...what an absolute waste of time. Having sent an early build of my app and qualified for the Windows 8 Pro license and a free Windows Dev Account I've been awaiting the 'feedback' or whatever the next step was. A couple of emails to the agent at the Windows Dev centre in recent weeks were ignored, so today I mailed wpdevcenteroffers@microsoft.com
    to receive a response from this address that the offer closed on June 30th (I know that, I sent my second build in time for it) and that the management have asked to close the offer as of the date mentioned and move on to our next priorities.

It's all a bit shambolic, I've wasted too much time and resources in trying to target Windows Phone 8, a bit of code re-jigging and my apps are heading for Android/iOS, and I'm left baffled by this effort from Microsoft / Unity.

6. schmosef

schmosef

I'm sorry to hear that you had a bad experience.

My experience with things like this is that Microsoft, with best intentions, will hand off execution of these projects to an external marketing or PR company who then sometimes fumbles things.

I remember that when they first started incentive programs for XNA, the winners had to raise a lot of stink to get the awards that were promised.

One hopes that they've learned from past experience but given the timing of their recent restructuring, my bet is that many of their priorities have shifted or are in flux.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2014
  7. co0led

co0led

my gmail refresh button must be feeling over used already... i ve been refreshing all day long :p im not expecting to win but im dreaming about a unity pro.

did u guys get windows pro and dev account for free??? o_O i didnt get any of this... maybe i didnt read the whole thing xD

8. schmosef

schmosef

One thing I meant to say is that, even though Microsoft tends to mess up on the PR end, I think their attitude toward developers is good.

For example, I don't recall Apple or Google sponsoring similar Unity dev contests or subidizing the cost of their platforms' Pro modules the way that Microsoft has.

And buying SyntaxTree so they could give UnityVS away for free was very generous.

9. fifthknotch

fifthknotch

I couldn't agree more. It is amazing what Microsoft has done for developers. I got the chance to go to one of the Unity/Microsoft conferences and it was great. They definately appear to care about their developers.

10. SpacePixel

SpacePixel

Thanks for the words schmosef, you may be right and Microsoft have spread themselves a little thin but it's still a poor excuse, having my emails requesting an update or news of any sort simply ignored is something I'd expect from a small startup website and appears very amateurish, and as no one from either MS or Unity came forward on this thread I'm guessing no one knew what was happening.
    @coOled; Remember this is the 'Windows Phone offer' I'm talking about, not the Unity contest that the thread is mainly about. A quick read through this thread should clear that up, but I feel for certain that I made the wrong choice in entering the offer contest.

11. pumpkinszwan

pumpkinszwan

Yeah, that offer was poorly handled. I applied, got a free token (which I haven't actually received). Then nothing. The cut-off date passed while I was waiting for further info.

12. PeterShoferistov

PeterShoferistov

I was participating in this offer as well. Got windows pro license, signed the contract and now still waiting for the developer device to arrive. I know for sure that they are having troubles with sending it specifically to my country, which is Ukraine (two month and still nothing). But the support are fine, they are responding to my letters at least)
    Make sure that you are using the reference (4-digit code from the first letter) in the Subject Line of your message when emailing them.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2014
  13. co0led

co0led

developer device?????? :eek: what is that?

14. PeterShoferistov

PeterShoferistov

15. co0led

co0led

dammmn... why am i allways misinformed? x)
    I guess i will have to wait for another opportunity...!
    i would love to have one of those to fix my app's windows phone touchscreen :p didnt launch it yet for Windows Phone cause i can't test touch

16. Deleted User

Deleted User

I participated in that offer as well. My game Mystic Marbles was approved for Level 1 and as a result I got Windows 8 Pro license, Dev Center account for one year and a brand new Nokia Lumia 925 (standard phone, no developer device). I am very pleased that Microsoft and Unity teamed up and helped indies like myself to publish games also on Windows Phone Store.

I also participated in this competition but sadly haven't heard anything since. I do hope my application went through (a confirmation email would've been nice).

AlanOToole likes this.
  17. laxarus

laxarus

Nothing here as well...:(
    Would be nice if they would send us an email or posted something to let us know if all the winners have been informed or not so we could stop having false hopes.
    I guess we'll find out on the 13th for sure...hopefully..

18. prizas

prizas

You are right! We should have some kind of notification. Unity please let us know!

19. schmosef

schmosef

Maybe this is wishful thinking but I hope they are working on extending the contest deadline. Two months for a contest this big was just not enough.

20. yoonitee

yoonitee

Well I didn't really expect to win anything (unless only 23 people entered the competition!). I'm dying to know who did win though!:O

AlanOToole likes this.
  21. drewnusser

drewnusser

Same here, yoonitee. It would have been great to win, but not too realistic. I just want to see the winners!

AlanOToole likes this.
  22. co0led

co0led

i need pro so badly to use all those visual effects *.*

23. tswalk

tswalk

I don't think the expectation was for someone to start scratch, but to use something already made and port... at least that is the impression I have had. They know that from scratch (unless it is pretty simple game) can take quite a few months to make...

24. schmosef

schmosef

That makes sense; they were trying to entice devs with established games on other platforms.

25. zugsoft

zugsoft

Winners will be notified on August 13th how to collect their prize.

Hello, I hope we will see all finalists games today.

Mintah, AlanOToole and yoonitee like this.
  26. co0led

co0led

this will be just a formal announcement of winners. rulles say winners were already informed on 4th August. i dont want to get my expectations high, so, in case im wrong and i win unity pro it will be a totally lovely surprise! :)

27. Meceka

Meceka

We didn't get informed either. I believe they didn't inform anyone yet, or probably winners are still being elected.

AlanOToole likes this.
  28. AlanOToole

AlanOToole

We have not heard anything either. I definitely cannot wait to see who all won!

29. Aurore

Aurore

Director of Real-Time Learning

The Winners should now (or soon will be) notified and we will be making the announcement public next week.

AlanOToole likes this.
  30. co0led

co0led

honorable mentions also??? :eek:

31. AlanOToole

AlanOToole

Aurore, thanks for the information! Will they just email the winners or is a phone call? Just curious. Thank you!

32. pumpkinszwan

pumpkinszwan

Oh no...I had come to terms with not winning and now I will be getting my hopes up again :)

AlanOToole likes this.
  33. Richard-Aguiar

Richard-Aguiar

I'm anxious...

AlanOToole likes this.
  34. co0led

co0led

f5 f5 f5 pray.... f5 f5 f5...! :p

AlanOToole likes this.
  35. Aurore

Aurore

20 of them, they each get a Pro License.

I think it's an e-mail, apparently most have been contacted, we're waiting for one person so I hear. *everyone check their e-mail

AlanOToole likes this.
  36. Aurore

Aurore

The public announcement will be next week.

AlanOToole likes this.
  37. AlanOToole

AlanOToole

Sounds great! Happen to know the from address so I can make sure, just in case, it wasn't ate alive by a spam filter. I had email issues last week that may have garbled some emails up and who knows, like I said, just in case.

Thank you!

38. mike950

mike950

I'm almost sure if the subject said "Congratulations you won $50000" it would most certainly go into the spam folder. Good thinking!

AlanOToole likes this.
  39. AlanOToole

AlanOToole

haha I actually had a moment last week where I did get a good subject line that was SO close to that but it turns out it was just a Prince in some far away land who had only a boat load of money... doh! ;)

40. zuzzu

zuzzu

My game has 68 reviews in the US with 4.5 avg rating, but I have nothing. I hoped to win at least a second license for my gf as that would make our work smoother.

Well, life goes on I guess. Will we get some info on how much points our games has scored on the three criteria mentioned in the rules?

AlanOToole likes this.
  41. ZoomieRoomie

ZoomieRoomie

Would be great if we could get some official feedback on our games even if we didn't win anything so we could improve our games based on professional feedback. Is this in any way possible?

has-arden and AlanOToole like this.
  42. Richard-Aguiar

Richard-Aguiar

Where to see the winners?

43. ZoomieRoomie

ZoomieRoomie

" The public announcement will be next week. "

Richard-Aguiar and AlanOToole like this.
  44. ekhader

ekhader

so the previous post from Jo Ryall was removed?
    I guess this means my game Qais Quest didn't win :((

AlanOToole likes this.
  45. AlanOToole

AlanOToole

I love how your screenshots look though, so congrats on releasing it!

Would anyone be interested in sharing your games urls/websites/etc just to see what everyone else made? We might not want to do it on this thread, just so to not clutter it up, but could start a new one?

Richard-Aguiar and ZoomieRoomie like this.
  46. Richard-Aguiar

Richard-Aguiar

47. co0led

co0led

no email... im sad but grats to whoever got! im not a jealous person! :D i guess ill have to keep on improving and keep on creating my own "fake effects" with free :) ill be ready for upcoming oportunities!!! ;) i only started working with unity a few months ago and i could not work full time on my game for this competition cause i had my final informatic engineering degree exams at mid july (last one was near deadline 20th july). anyway... i gave my best and im really happy with myself! this competition ended up making me grow! i ended up developing some self made cool effects, personal occlusion system and so many other things! thank you!

Last edited: Aug 13, 2014
    AlanOToole likes this.
  48. AlanOToole

AlanOToole

ZoomieRoomie and Richard-Aguiar like this.
  49. CTAai

CTAai

Hello, we hope we will be in the finalists ;-) with our edu game using Augmented Reality technology that change your desk into chemical laboratory - please visit http://professor-why.com

Richard-Aguiar and AlanOToole like this.
  50. AlanOToole

AlanOToole

Awesome way to look at it all :) I do agree, whoever got any of the prizes definitely earned it! Congrats on your game releasing, you should share the link so we can see!

I made a thread over here:

http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/windows-and-windows-phone-contest-entries-listing.262213/

to share if you're interested.