Search Unity

2008 Camaro Model

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by TJB, Jul 12, 2008.

1. TJB

TJB

Just thought i'd show some images of a car i've been modeling. This is my 4th attempt at making a car and the first one that I think is good.

I modeled it by extruding edges starting from a plane. I also made sure it stayed fairly low poly. Comments and suggestions would be much appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. R.A.E.

R.A.E.

nice work !

3. BenH

BenH

looks good. Now it just needs a sweet racing stripe and some side mirrors. Also, you should soften the edges of the model to smooth it out a little more. In Maya it's called "soften edges" or "set normal angle", I don't know what other apps call it. Anyways, excellent low poly car :D

4. holmeren

holmeren

Hey... very nice modelling!!
    What I think could improve the "feel" is "Smoothing Groups"
    I find the edges very hard! ....Just a thourght;)

5. drJones

drJones

very nice - what 3d app are you using? the overall shape is well done - must have been tedious without using a subsurf like tool. suggestions:

- the detail lines around the windows are too wide

- i think you need to concentrate more polys at the 4 corners of the car, they're a bit uneven suffer from artifacts.

- for the rim of the round light holes in the front you should make that a hard edge (in blender i would use edgesplit) and it should clear up the lighting issue there.

- the brake lights should be a little cleaner with even lines, maybe slide some edges around so things are more parallel. even better would be to add more polys to that area to more accurately define the shape if you can afford it (how many is the body overall? 1200-1500?)

again well done, just being nitpicky ; )

6. TJB

TJB

I built this car in maya. It's 950 faces and 1750 tris.

Thanks for all the advice. Would 2500 polys be a reasonable goal for the final model to be used in unity? In the documentation it says up to 6000 is reasonable for a character... but for a car in a game I think that'd be a little high.

7. holmeren

holmeren

play around with the smoothing groups and see the result while driving in game and then add more polys if feel the need... dont add polys just because the rendered still looks like it could need some ;)
    Get it in unity as fast as possible.
    and add a nice shader to ;)

Good luck