Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

20 seconds to Enter Playmode in Empty Scene (2019.3.0f4)

Discussion in '2019.3 Beta' started by ShockpointGames, Dec 31, 2019.

1. ShockpointGames

ShockpointGames

Getting very long playmode entry times with 2019.3.0f4. The time does not seem to be affected by what's in the scene, i.e. an empty scene takes the same 20-30 seconds as a populated scene.

I have tried removing all scenes from the Build Settings, but there has been no improvement.

The only 3rd party assets I am using are Easy Save 2/3.

As you can see, there's a 1.8GB GC Allocation for Reload Assemblies, which is ridiculous.

upload_2019-12-31_0-18-30.png

Here's a screenshot of the packages I'm using:
    upload_2019-12-31_0-23-6.png

I've also noticed that the editing and saving of a script not at run-time results in a similarly long delay for the editor to become responsive again:

upload_2019-12-31_0-38-18.png

This isn't even entering play mode, just saving a single script.

An observation that I've made is that the Library folder for the project is ~1.83GB, so it's almost like the whole library is being loaded every time a script is saved or play mode is entered.

I've also tried to do a Reimport All along with a deletion of the Library folder but no luck.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2019
  2. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

If using beta, post in beta forum or your issues will likely never get seen by the right people.
    (moved)

3. ShockpointGames

ShockpointGames

Apologies, thank you for moving.

4. Deleted User

Deleted User

tonycoculuzzi likes this.
  5. ShockpointGames

ShockpointGames

6. Deleted User

Deleted User

Yeah, I had this problem when I upgraded my project to 2019.3.0f1 and f3. My computer was also over heating in play mode. I gave up using 2019.3.

7. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

If your computer is overheating in play mode it will usually be because vsync wasn't enabled. You can turn that on or off in the game view for editor.

This means it will always happen unless you do that because it simply means it's allowed to go as fast as it can which = heat as you know. You can control that though.

8. Deleted User

Deleted User

Hmm, I hadn't thought about that. VSync is disabled by default in 2019.3? I'm installing 0f4 right now; I'll give it a try and see what happens. Thanks for the advice. :)

hippocoder likes this.
  9. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

They have been messing with vsync, yes. It was recently moved into the game window drop down bit but your mileage will vary :)

10. Deleted User

Deleted User

Well, that was fast. I enabled vsync and tried my game. Entering play mode didn't take long because my game starts on a scene that contains only a ui where I must find a character, it's a very small scene.

On the other hand, I have this error I described in this thread I created and nobody reacted to: 2020.1.0a17 Dysfunctional input? (not using the new input system) and sprite import problem. Scroll down to 2) to find the description of the problem. If this problem keeps occurring, I'll be stuck with 2019.2.

I'm deinstalling 0f4.

11. mangax

mangax

i almost have same issues as yours.. when i edit scripts then unity tries to update it in the project.. or go into play mode.. i keep getting loading icon.. and it takes so long that sometimes never complete.. or unity crash randomly.. i just removed an asset i think it might be the culprit for my issues.. which is an asset by unity called "Settings manager"..

am still observing if it is indeed the main cause.. but so far unity performs much better..

12. ShockpointGames

ShockpointGames

My solution to this issue was to load an old version of the project in which the issue wasn't present, and literally replace the asset folder with the current asset folder from the affected project...

From what I can gather, this means that the issue must lie within Unity itself, as it is clearly not caused by the assets in my project. Perhaps something is bugged in Project Settings or something.

13. slime73

slime73

Sounds like it's probably caused by one of the packages you had installed, since the package manifest lives outside of the Assets folder.

14. ShockpointGames

ShockpointGames

Perhaps, however I did try at one point to delete all folders other than Assets and Project Settings and let Unity regenerate the other project folders (Library, etc.), but the issue was still present. This is what leads me to think that Project Settings may be the culprit.

15. optimise

optimise

I guess u can submit bug report.

Peter77 likes this.
  16. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

A bug report with a reproduction project would be much appreciated.

17. alexeyzakharov

alexeyzakharov

@ShockpointGames
    RestoreManagedReferenced
    is where deserialization of MonoBehaviours/ScriptableObjects happens.
    If you expand that node can you recognize any of scripts or packages?