Search Unity

1. Good news ✨ We have more Unite Now videos available for you to watch on-demand! Come check them out and ask our experts any questions!
    Dismiss Notice

[20% off!] Master Audio - AAA Sound Solution. #1 audio plugin on Asset Store!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by dark_tonic, Jan 28, 2013.

1. Timmy-Hsu

Timmy-Hsu

Hi,

About docs
    https://www.dtdevtools.com/docs/masteraudio/AudioMemoryAllocations.htm
    mp3 file take 2.4ms
    wav file take 0.02 seconds

I think 2.4ms < 0.02 seconds.
    And see That's 120 times faster!
    Don't know it was a typo?
    0.02 seconds should be revised to 0.02ms?

According to document sound effects use .wav files ?
    How about compression Format to be use on android and iOS?

Last edited: Feb 12, 2020
  2. jerotas

jerotas

You are correct, I will fix the docs. 0.02 milliseconds.

Uncompressed formats are fastest. Wav and ogg. Not sure what you are asking on your second question but I would only compress music and only when its not layered (single track playing at a time) as the best practices page says.

3. Timmy-Hsu

Timmy-Hsu

I mean this Compression Format setting in Unity.
    Snipaste_2020-02-12_17-23-59.png

Is this tool same Features?
    Snipaste_2020-02-12_17-29-32.png

Thank you.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2020
  4. jerotas

jerotas

Yes the Bulk Audio Importer should offer all the same functionality.

So, we don't change the default of those. Typically, mp3s are set to "vorbis" compression format and wav's are PCM. We keep "Preserve Sample Rate" in both cases.

As that page of the documentation says, you can try resampling to 22050Hz using BAI and see if you can hear a reduction in quality or not for mobile stuff.

Timmy-Hsu likes this.
  5. Timmy-Hsu

Timmy-Hsu

Dear jerotas,

I encounter an issue,
    I use assetbundle for DynamicSoundGroupCreator prefabs.
    Load from assetbundle then add a DSGC for Menu to play Menu music.
    Load from assetbundle then a
    dd a DSGC for UI and them delete DSGC many times, the Menu Playlist will broken.

Add a Menu DSGC to play Menu music, this DSGC will keep in scene.
    When open A UI then create A DSGC,
    after close A UI delete A DSGC,
    When open B UI then create B DSGC, after close B UI delete B DSGC,
    After many (maybe 6) times, the Menu Playlist will broken, can't normal play Menu music.

I can't find out what happened at the moment.
    Could you help me?

Last edited: Feb 26, 2020
  6. jerotas

jerotas

That's a pretty complicated scenario. You will need to send me an example project to reproduce this bug, otherwise I will likely fail to reproduce it in the first place. Thanks.

Did you get any errors in the Console when it happened?

7. Timmy-Hsu

Timmy-Hsu

Dear jerotas,

I get no any errors in the Console when it happened.
    I click the Audio Clip from MasterAudio, the Audio Clip seems broke when it happened.

I use plugin "Loxodon Framework Bundle" to handle assetbundle.
    I used plugin's function "Resources.LoadAssetAsync<GameObject>(FilePath)" to load asset before, then encounter this issue.
    Now I change to use plugin's other function "Resources.LoadBundle(bundleNames.ToArray(), priority)", It looks like the issue is gone.
    Maybe I use wrong way, or it's "Loxodon Framework Bundle"'s bug.

Thanks for your reply.

8. jerotas

jerotas

Ok, maybe that is correct. Glad it's resolved.

9. Timmy-Hsu

Timmy-Hsu

Dear jerotas,

Now I use Unity 2018.4.3f1.
    I try to Upgrade to Unity 2018.4.18f1.

Console show many log about
    There are no audio listeners in the scene. Please ensure there is always one audio listener in the scene.

Music and sound seems works fine.

Could you take a look this issue?

10. jerotas

jerotas

Do you at any point have no Audio Listeners in the scene? I think that is the case. That message is not something my plugin logs I think, but it's made by Unity itself.

I dont believe there's any way for me to investigate unless you either send me an example scene or tell me that it happens with the included example scenes.

11. Timmy-Hsu

Timmy-Hsu

Dear jerotas,

I find my project, startup.scene's camera has no Audio Listener on it.
    I think this is where the shoe pinches.

I will add Audio Listener to startup.scene's camera.

I create new project from 2018.4.3,
    and then import plugin Master Audio - AAA.

I create some Button and Import music and sound files.
    I delete Audio Listener from main camera.

In Unity 2018.4.3,play music normally has sound.
    In Unity 2018.4.18,play music broken has no sound.

if PlaylistController or DynamicSoundGroupCreator visible in the scene,
    Console will endless show log
    There are no audio listeners in the scene. Please ensure there is always one audio listener in the scene.

I send you the projects to support@darktonic.com.

12. jerotas

jerotas

I'm not sure why you are sending me a project. I can't prevent the logging from happening if there is indeed no Audio Listener.

13. pigglet

pigglet

Oh, I checked this topic from time to time awaiting especially for the timeline support and right now I feel quite disappointed :( In my project I'm using timeline intensively. And I had a hope that one day instead of a simple regular audio tracks it will be possible to use master audio clips, utilizing all the MA randomization and finetuning power :(:(:(

14. jerotas

jerotas

Like I said, PM me with ideas on what would actually be useful as far as Timeline, and I will take a look and see how feasible it is. I don't even have any ideas.

15. jerotas

jerotas

Ok, I found some info. If you look at our documentation for Event Sounds script here:

https://www.dtdevtools.com/docs/masteraudio/EventSounds.htm

There's a note under OnEnable and OnDisable events about Timeline.

Click on the link for Timeline there and it will scroll down to where it says:

Note: For OnEnable and OnDisable, you can use Timeline's Activation Track to trigger them since that just enables and disables the Game Object.

That means that you can put an Event Sounds script onto a Game Object that you activate with a Timeline's Activation Track, add the "OnEnabled" event to Event Sounds and use any combination of the dozens of audio control functions of Event Sounds to do almost anything in Master Audio.

Someone told me this works. Haven't verified but no one told me it doesn't work. Give it a go!

-Brian

16. borkbork

borkbork

I bought Master Audio a while back but have yet to use it. I'm wondering if there is a comparison anywhere that puts it up feature-wise against something like wwise?

17. jerotas

jerotas

I would say if you already own it, may as well get your money's worth and use it :)

The only comparison I've seen was back in 2015 and it's here: http://danikog.github.io/GameAudioTable/

Since then, Master Audio also has: occlusion, the ambient sound script (much more awesome than it sounds), Addressable support, fast play mode support and a lot more. But most of all people like that you do everything right in Unity without having to keep switch to another program, unlike FMod and Wwise. And we also have the Multiplayer version for which no competitor exists.

But they are all great tools so you can't go wrong with any of them. I haven't used any of the competition so I'm unfamiliar.

Licensing is very different as well. Our products are per-seat unlimited game licenses where Fmod/Wwise/Fabric are either free (if your game budget is under a certain dollar amount) or extremely expensive, and then you need to pay for it again on your next game. And the next.

18. borkbork

borkbork

Thanks jerotas. Do you have a feature preview video for v4?

19. jerotas

jerotas

20. borkbork

borkbork

Ok great, thanks! And just a suggestion, but a highlights video for V4 might help boost sales.

21. jerotas

jerotas

Thanks for the feedback :)

22. username132323232

username132323232

Is it possible to play a sound at about 80% of the normal speed without changing the pitch?

23. jerotas

jerotas

No, that is in fact the way you do it. If you want both the original and a different pitch, you can create multiple Variations that use the same audio and different pitches. We have included Sound Group Templates that do this automatically.

If that doesn't work for some reason, you will need to create or obtain different pitched audio clips of your source material.

24. FlorentFal

FlorentFal

Hello, I'm actually integrating SFX and music on Luminos (https://twitter.com/LuminosGame), a mobile game.
    I'm focus on Android integration version, and I'm experiencing 2 very odd behaviors/issues on the android build (not tested on iOS, but everything works fine in unity editor 's play mode):
    • When I create a build with a playlist, on my android device (Galaxy S9) the music keep playing when I swith from the game to another app. Is it normal? Is it possible to change this behavior.
    • More important: if I create a build with an empty playlist, game execution is correct on the phone. But If I add 1 or several songs to the play list, the game execution will produce some freezes et errors:
      • DOTween 's tween are sometime interrupted, they stop during maybe 1 seconds and then continu
      • On freeze, I'v got errors on android's logs, some null references in my code, not related to DOTween or MasterAudio. Errors that do not occured at all when the playlist is empty.
    I will continu to investigate, but if you have any clues and knowledges of problems on Android plateform....

Unity 2019.2.17, DOTween 1.2.235, MasterAudio v4.2.9 - All sfx and music play as Addressable Asset (embed into build not load from remote locations)

Thank you

Florent

25. jerotas

jerotas

There may be a setting you can do in the Android manifest file to stop the music? I would have you ask on the Unity Android forum here: https://forum.unity.com/forums/android.30/. I wasn't able to google any answers, and it's not something we can control. Are you using streaming tracks?

I have no idea how Master Audio could affect non-Master Audio code. That doesn't make any sense. Haven't heard of this issue before and not sure how to help.

26. FlorentFal

FlorentFal

Ok I understand, I continu my investigations and more I try to narrow down the problem to part of my app, less it make sense... I'm afraid to be in a Unity build bug or Addressables bug...I'm just sur now that the "sound still playing when switching to another app " and the unexpected crash are linked because by reverting my code to a previous state, both errors disapear.
    Just another question, do MasterAudio is fully compliant with nested prefabs (i.e use of SoundGroup attribute in prefab, nested prefabs and variants ) ?

Thanks

27. jerotas

jerotas

You should be able to use SoundGroup attribute wherever you like.

The Master Audio game object itself, and Playlist Controller - I have not tested if they work as sub-game objects. They might and they might not. Let me know if you figure that out if you care about that.

So you are using Addressables for the music? If so, what happens if you switch to non-addressables (as a test)?

28. FlorentFal

FlorentFal

Hi, some good news finally ! Yes the problem come from Addressables Assets but I can't give a determinist way to reproduce the issue. What I can say is that reverting all my project to a state with 0 songs and 0 playlists and from there creating a playlist using the Resources template works ! I loose too much time on this S*** so I will not take any more time to figure out the exact scenario that leads to the issue.

Anyway, thanks you for your help !

Last edited: Mar 30, 2020
    jerotas likes this.
  29. castor76

castor76

@jerotas

Hi. long time ago, I ask about seamless playlist playback looping within 2 points in the audio, and I was wondering if such feature actually got implemented now.

I am talking about this specific feature :

https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/tools/audio/introloop-51095

Master Audio is THE audio solution for Unity, but it was missing this important and useful feature at the time of asking.

Looping music within 2 points, (start of loop , end of loop) and able to control the looping using API. So that intro plays then main part, and then loops back to loop start point until told to not loop anymore.

Any idea?

30. jerotas

jerotas

Unity does not expose any API to even make this possible, to my knowledge. I have no idea how that plugin does it, and I'm not going to buy it to plagiarize the code.

However, it's pretty easy to just split the file into 2 and get what you need. I don't see the loop point as something that would ever change so this seems ok to me, unless I'm missing something here.

31. castor76

castor76

I believe I have already pointed out some technical side of how the loop works when I asked you more than a year ago. This is certainly possible. Also in order to do what I asked, I believe we need to split the files into 3 parts. Intro, Loop, End. Having all of that setup in the playlist for the multiple musics and controlling them is going to be a lot more pain unfortunately. A lot of games actually do play music in the way I asked. So it is not something that seems entirely useless.

If you dig into the forum, I have already gave you some idea and technical side of things on my first asking of this, and I seem to remember that you were positive about it and not 100% sure but added to the list of future features at that time. At that point of time, you were also seem to bought into the do-ability of implementing such feature, even from the technical point of view.

Having said all that, it is not the end of the world if Master Audio does not and will not implement this feature. I just wanted to catch up with you to see if it was implemented. ( because you said , it is possible and was positive about it ) If not, it is not. I already have that asset I have referenced, and it does work and do what it needs to do. I was just hoping that I can just use single solution for the both Sound Effect playing and Music playing.

32. jerotas

jerotas

It is possible to do, however, a built-in system cannot start loop again except every frame - not possibly as accurate as if you split up the clip into multiple.

I simply don't understand not desiring to splitting the clip into multiple though, which is easily done with a slew of programs. Perhaps you can email us with more details to continue the conversation. The sound designers we have worked with actually deliver the loopable portions separate so this has never come up.

This feature is still on the roadmap, but there are several things still in front of it. Mostly because I don't see the importance of it as high.

33. Freznosis

Freznosis

Thanks for the fix! I thought I was just going crazy but my music was definitely way too loud. I kept changing the volume down and it kept getting louder lol.

laeusnb and jerotas like this.
  34. Freznosis

Freznosis

@jerotas I've actually been having two problems so far. Now that the volume one is fixed, I seem to be having another one.

Originally, every 10-20 seconds the audio in-game would kind of do a single crackle/pop and then the game's audio would get higher right after the pop. Now the problem is that the audio just cracks and sounds weird.. kind of like it's being ducked. Another 5 seconds after the pop, the audio goes back to normal. Then it keeps repeating that process. I already checked to see if ducking was on, it's not. I checked to see if my other audio sources had this problem, they don't. It's just the MasterAudio playlist. What information do you need from me so we can solve this? And also has this happened before, if so, is there a way to fix it?

I can also provide a video to you if you like.

35. jerotas

jerotas

Never heard of this issue. A video is not going to help really. Have you watched the Unity Mixer asset at that time to see if anything is being clipped? I assume you're using a Mixer asset.

Is that music or a sound effect that does that? Ducking only happens with Playlists.

36. Freznosis

Freznosis

Yeah It's weird. I know you said a video won't help, but I think it captures it pretty clearly. It sounds like it's related to AudioMixer potentially? When ever my car accelerates, the sound of music goes weird. You can hear it in this video.

And when I stop, the audio pops and it goes back to normal. I did a test and took the Playlist out of the audiomixer for MasterAudio and it seemed fine. I'm not 100% sure on this as I need to test it more, but from the 10 minutes I had the game running outside of the audiomixer, it seemed fine. I want to note I'm not doing anything weird with my cars audio itself that could warrant it affecting the music audio. I'm not sure what it is, but if I play music outside of MasterAudio in my own audiomixer, it's fine.

This is with a playlist btw.

37. jerotas

jerotas

Yeah, well a video won't help me reproduce any issues on my end is why I say that. If I can't reproduce the problem I can't fix it.

When you are talking about "AudioMixer" you mean the Unity Mixer asset right?

Anyway, you would need to send me an example project that reproduces the issue or I am powerless at this point. No one else has reported this issue. A lot of the time what happens is when people try to construct a simple example, it no longer happens and they find the issue.

38. Felinsky

Felinsky

Hey, great asset.
    Is there a way to play only one random song from playlist without starting play another song after first is finished ?
    Thanks

39. jerotas

jerotas

Yes, turn off auto-advance for the Playlist Controller that's playing the Playlist.

Felinsky likes this.
  40. jerotas

jerotas

V 4.3.0 changelog:
    • Added support for experimental Fast Play Mode in Unity 2019.3 - it works by default it you turn on Fast Play Mode on the Unity menu as shown on this page: https://blogs.unity3d.com/2019/11/05/enter-play-mode-faster-in-unity-2019-3/
    • Fixed bug where Persistent Playlist Volume wouldn't work properly with persistent Master Audio game objects.
    • Moved Show Welcome Window preference to scriptable asset so it's only for current project, not all.
    • Added Min Distance field to Ambient Sound so you can adjust that, which also affects the low slider value of Max Distance.
    • Added namespaces to all example and editor scripts so they don't show up in Intelli-sense.

BTStone likes this.
  41. Exbleative

Exbleative

Hi, I saw you say somewhere that the bulk audio importer could convert mp3s to wavs, then read the above... So if I have an mp3 file, but set it to PCM, that's the equivalent of doing a full export as wav in an external program, is that right?

42. jerotas

jerotas

I really doubt that. If it's an mp3, it's already been compressed. If you were to go back into Sonar (let's say) where your raw wav files live, and you export a wav, it will be much higher quality than if you exported an mp3, and then converted the mp3 back to a wav. Kinda like concentrated juice vs "not from concentrate". Just not the same.

43. jerotas

jerotas

Apologies to our users! Our hosting provider for the documentation and API has gone down and hasn't responded to inquiries so we are in the process of moving to a different hosting. Hopefully this will be resolved sometime this weekend. I will update the thread here when it is back up.

Thank you,
    -Brian

44. dark_tonic

dark_tonic

We did get the hosting back up, but the links in the Welcome Window need to be updated to start with HTTP instead of HTTPS. The next update later this week will fix that. The links in the Inspectors now work again.

It looks like our old host is going out of business. Thank you for your understanding.

45. jerotas

jerotas

V 4.3.1 changelog:

• Fixed link to docs website on Welcome window.

46. Ghetaldus

Ghetaldus

So, started using addressables for audio and it is all working really fine. Great work there!
    I've got a question about "Preload Audio Data". I see a warning coming up that it should always be turned on when using addressables. It goes a bit against what I would normally do for large audio files like background music. I always have it on for short clips, but not for large ones.
    When thinking about it a bit more, I guess it does not matter if "Preload Audio Data" is on or off with addressables since every song when it is played it is loaded and unloaded after playing done?

47. jerotas

jerotas

I don't think it will matter. When the addressable audio files are told to play, then have to be loaded anyway (our code does it for you), so might as well have them be ready to play by turning that on. If you find some info to the contrary let me know.

48. Ghetaldus

Ghetaldus

Hm I did some tests now and turning "Preload Audio Data" seems to load all audio in to memory even that all these are addressables.
    Here is a screenshot of memory when I have turned of "Preload Audio Data" on BG songs, as you see it is at 6.8MB.
    upload_2020-6-10_18-32-40.png
    And here is screenshot with "Preload Audio Data" turned on.
    upload_2020-6-10_18-34-31.png
    As you see it is still same amount of audio clips but all BG songs gets loaded in memory and it goes up to 41.9MB.

With "Preload Audio Data" off clips are taking only a very small amount of memory when not playing.
    upload_2020-6-10_18-37-4.png

49. jerotas

jerotas

Make sure you profile on a device and not in the Unity Editor. I remember hearing several times that the editor is buggy with memory usage of Addressables.

50. Ghetaldus

Ghetaldus

Ah, of course! You are right.
    Tested on android device and only song that is playing is loaded in memory.

unityunity