Search Unity

Master Audio - AAA Sound Solution. #1 audio plugin on Asset Store!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by dark_tonic, Jan 28, 2013.

1. jerotas

jerotas

Hi ismyhc,

I made some short clips (~5 seconds) to test and the crossfade seemed to be working perfectly, not cutting off the end of a song, but fading out the last part as it should (for the cross-fade time) and fading in the next song from zero volume until the cross-fade time. It also worked perfectly with 0 crossfade time and didn't cut off any of either song...so I can't reproduce what you're seeing. Also, I tried it on both Unity 3.5.7 and Unity 4.2.

Do you have a small project you can send me that reproduces the issue? Or if it's large, you can send it to me with filemail.com. Also I am on Skype during the day tomorrow. Name on Skype is "briandhunsaker".

Thank you!

2. jerotas

jerotas

I just submitted Master Audio Free to the Asset Store. It has ALL the features of the full plugin, but includes no source code and is limited to 6 Sound Groups. Will update the thread when it is live!

3. ismyhc

ismyhc

Okay, firstly let me remove everything and re-import Master Audio and start from scratch just to make sure I didn't screw anything up on my end. If I still have the problem Ill create a small test project that I can send over to you. Ill have to do this all this evening though because Im a work.

Thanks for the quick response!

Jacob

4. jerotas

jerotas

Sounds good Jacob!

5. dark_tonic

dark_tonic

Today is the last day of the Summer Madness sale - pick up Master Audio for 50% off until the end of the day.

Over 400 satisfied users and counting!

★ Smoothest, fastest, and easiest audio workflow available in Unity
    ★ Super flexible with easy to use advanced options
    ★ Ducking, sound variations, and more that other systems don't have
    ★ Killer support, frequent upgrades
    ★ 5 star rating and user reviews tell the story!

Don't miss out!

6. jerotas

jerotas

Master Audio 2.4.4 has been released on the Asset Store! No more enums! And there was much rejoicing!

7. jerotas

jerotas

Thank you for all the great feedback and suggestions. I've just submitted V2.4.5 which includes the following changes:

- Made PlaylistController volume slider work at runtime in the editor.
    - Added "play sound" speaker icon in the mixer section for runtime "audition" purposes so you don't have to code things to hear the sounds when you want.
    - Added checkbox to "not destroy on load" Master Audio and Playlist Controller. Music playlist can now continue from scene to scene. It defaults to unchecked for compatibility.
    - Added Checkbox to repeat playlist from beginning or not. Previously always did.
    - Made Event Scripts able to selectably reparent variation onto a prefab. It goes back into the Master Audio prefab when caller prefab is disabled.

Most of these are requests from our users. Keep 'em coming! I have plenty more planned of my own as well!

8. ismyhc

ismyhc

Finally figured out my issue. I created an empty project, added in Master Audio, set it up with the same to songs and sure enough, everything worked correctly. I kept going back and forth with my game project and could not figure out what was different. I was about to pull my hair out!

I was looking at the code and realized that the crossfade code was happening in Fixed Timestamp. The problem was the Fixed Timestamp setting on my game project! For whatever reason it was set to the max of 10 seconds. I guess I never noticed this because I don't use Fixed Timestamp in my game.

One more question.

Is it possible to have multiple Playlists? It would be nice to be able to pick a playlist to play for a set of game levels, then when the player reaches another set of levels, trigger another playlist, etc.

For example.

1-10 ---> A playlist that loops
    11-19 --> Another playlist that loops
    etc..

This would be a great feature! ;)

9. jerotas

jerotas

Ah yes, that makes sense. I will move code into Update instead of FixedUpdate if people think that's better. It's that way because on our games Fixed Update runs less often so it takes less CPU.

Currently you could do what you want with a single playlist per scene, with a different Master Audio prefab for each scene (and different playlist settings for each), but there's no way to set up multiple playlists all at once on a single prefab. That sounds like a great addition though, I'll take a stab at it soon!

10. ismyhc

ismyhc

I currently use a 2d Framework called Futile. I only have a single scene in my game. Levels are handled differently than the normal "scene per level" so having multiple scenes wouldn't work for me in this case. Ill try and work around it in code if need be, but multiple playlists that could be triggered in code would make Master Audio perfect for me!

Thanks for your awesome support!

11. jerotas

jerotas

Understood, I am working on a game that is "all one level" as well right now, and I agree multi playlist support would be great. Hang in there for a bit and I should be able to figure it out. It may take some time to make sure the UI is easy and intuitive. Or not!

12. im

im

re: master audio free

sweet!

13. jerotas

jerotas

It's shaping up to look like by providing multi-playlist support in an intuitive manner, we'll have to use a custom Editor Window. And probably move the playlist managing stuff out of the Master Audio prefab into that window. The Inspector is not enough room for that sort of thing. So....it's easy enough now to provide a button there in the new Editor Window to just create the Master Audio prefab in the scene with a button like some of you wanted.

I will report back when I have the playlist stuff complete!

14. ismyhc

ismyhc

Awesome! I think this would be a great and useful feature!

15. metaphysician

metaphysician

wow - the updates are coming fast and thick! have not had a chance to test out the newest non-enum version of MasterAudio, but will definitely get to it fairly soon. really great to hear about multiple playlists. you should definitely allow more than one to exist in a scene - i can envision more uses than just music. you could potentially use these to trigger VO clips where you could break the VO line into segments and then change one or more clips/steps to create dynamic VOs.

looking forward!

scott

16. jerotas

jerotas

Update!

I'm just finishing up documentation and graphics. The following changes will be submitted probably in a couple days:

- Added "AudioManager" custom Editor Window under Window menu to explain and create Master Audio Playlist Controller Prefabs for you (no more finding the prefabs and dragging them out into the scene).
    - Added multiple playlist support in the Master Audio Inspector.
    - Streamlined group, variation and playlist creation. Drag drop 1 or more clips now and it's done! No more name typing / button clicking.

Unfortunately, the last 2 are likely breaking changes due to the old script defaults and the way I had to change the code. I suggest you delete the MasterAudio scripts before importing the new version. Thankfully, the last bullet will drastically speed up rebuild time. Massively!

Last edited: Aug 18, 2013
  17. jococo

jococo

Just picked up this package and the potential seems good.

Got a bit of I think a silly question that is probably more script related.

Trying to use:
    MasterAudio.PlaySound("MyGroup1", "MyClip1");

to trigger a sound in a js script.

Doesn't seem to recognize what MasterAudio is. Also just want to confirm this is correct syntax for js.

Only other question is whether it is still the case that I can't place MasterAudio prefab on my character which happens to be flying around like a helicopter?

Thanks!

18. jerotas

jerotas

I've never used JavaScript in Unity until just now. I reproduced your problem. You will probably need to try what this page suggests, unless anyone has another suggestion?
    http://answers.unity3d.com/questions/252865/accessing-a-c-field-from-javascript.html. Your syntax looks correct but I'm not positive. Once you get "MasterAudio." to respond with auto-completion, you will know if the syntax is correct. It will show you.

For your second question, as soon as the latest update is approved and live on the Asset Store, Master Audio will be able to attach variations (including their Audio Source) onto prefabs. For clarification, the main Master Audio prefab must be a top-level prefab in the Scene. It cannot be a child of anything. Hope that helps!

19. metaphysician

metaphysician

good news to hear Brian! let us know when these changes are in the Store. would prefer to wait until the major breaking changes have been submitted before updating my SoundGroups.

scott

20. jerotas

jerotas

Yes, I'd probably wait for the current pending version and next version. Breaking changes are no fun, I hear you!

21. jerotas

jerotas

Master Audio 2.4.5 is live. This does not have the multiple playlists, that version is coming next!

22. metaphysician

metaphysician

so, i know we're dealing with moving targets here, but what's the current 'resting point' version of MA coming out - 2.4.7 or 2.4.8? in other words the latest breaking change release that's due?

23. jerotas

jerotas

Actually that version is 2.6. We're skipping 2.5 :)

24. jerotas

jerotas

V 2.6 has been submitted to the Asset Store, hang on briefly while they put it through its paces and you will have some great new additions! Keep the suggestions coming! We will together make sure this is the best Unity sound plugin and stays at the top.

25. dark_tonic

dark_tonic

If you've not updated Master Audio in a while, or a new user curious about the Master Audio package, here are some of the great new features:

$9560923089_97d17547a3_o.png

$9563711364_715150bf8c_o.png

$9563711252_17c245e312_o.png

$9560922961_17c245e312_o.png

$9560923007_93938364d0_o.png

Grab the latest and get your audio set up polished fast: https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/#/content/5607

26. jerotas

jerotas

Master Audio Free version is now live on the Asset Store! No source code but all the features of the full version are there, except for a couple new updates I need to add in now (I will do tonight). Download here to try everything out for free!

The free version is limited to 6 Sound Groups. Everything else is unlimited.

27. jerotas

jerotas

Quick post to say that V2.6 is live in the Asset Store. I currently have no plans for new features, so if you guys have suggestions, let's hear them!

28. benthroop

benthroop

Hi i just grabbed the latest update and my release notes still say 2.4.3. I also don't have a speaker icon for quick previewing. Any ideas?

29. jerotas

jerotas

I just checked and indeed you are correct :(. I will have to resubmit the package. Looks like another Asset Store mixup. If you don't want to wait, please email me your invoice# and I'll send you the newest package myself. Use jerotas2005@yahoo.com please.

30. Nezabyte

Nezabyte

The only thing I would like to request at the moment is an updated tutorial video.

31. dark_tonic

dark_tonic

Right, that is in the plans. I can't get Fraps to work on my computer currently.

32. jerotas

jerotas

We got a not-so-good review (the first) on the Asset Store today. I have already replied there and I don't think the reviewer has posted on this thread before. If anyone knows how to get ahold of "Sam G" I would appreciate an email address as I don't know when he will read the reply and he probably will not be notified (not sure if reviews has such a feature?).

It is true that we can't please everyone all the time, but we can try our utmost!

33. jerotas

jerotas

Master Audio 2.6 (for real this time) is live on the Asset Store. Multiple playlists and the other new features are now yours :)

34. ismyhc

ismyhc

Downloaded earlier and wow. This is exactly what I was looking for. The multi-playlist feature is a god send. Everything seems alot easier to setup now as well. My only question: Is there a way to add in a quick preview of each sound clip? I thought I had seen that as an added feature, but I cant seem to find it.

All in all Master audio is exactly what I was looking for.

Thanks!

35. jerotas

jerotas

Currently the preview feature only works "while playing" in the Editor. What happens is the Delete button in the mixer section for each Sound Group turns into a speaker icon you can click on. That way you can hear the full randomness including weights and variations.

Definitely the setup of variations and groups is much much faster now due to the new drag and drop (allows multi).

36. Korindian

Korindian

Hi, I purchased Master Audio recently, but haven't had the chance to play around with it yet.

I bought it not knowing that I would be getting Playmaker as well. I noticed that some of the other audio managers support Playmaker and was wondering if Master Audio will be including custom actions for it in the future?

Thanks!

37. dark_tonic

dark_tonic

Hi Korindian, we are currently checking out Playmaker for our other plugin, Killer Waves, and will definitely be keeping Master Audio in mind as we work out how we'll integrate them all.

What sort of custom actions would be most useful to you?

38. Korindian

Korindian

To be honest, I don't even know yet. It's good to know you'll be integrating it in the future.

I'm thinking it may benefit my coding experience to learn to write my own custom actions...

39. jerotas

jerotas

That's definitely true, but we will also take care of you for this plugin :)

40. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

I have to say the video looks great, and the interface of Master audio looks neat, when you integrate it into playmaker it will be a must buy for me, I bought another audio plugin pure because it had playmaker already integrated, but I did not like how busy the interface looks so I may switch because these two aspects:

Playmaker + interface.

Assuming performance and memory is optimised for mobile usage on both.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2013
  41. dark_tonic

dark_tonic

Last edited: Sep 4, 2013
  42. dark_tonic

dark_tonic

Good to know, thank you! Performance here is heavily optimized. As long as you don't run hundreds of different clips in a single scene, memory usage will also pose no problems. Our studio's first game runs MA with about 120 clips in the busiest scene and there is almost no profiler footprint. Non-streaming sounds do take up RAM of course, but we set the sample rate only as high as necessary for good sounds.

43. jerotas

jerotas

An update to say that we've finished one custom action that can call all 2D / 3D variations of "PlaySound". Here's the UI for a teaser!

$playSound_CA.PNG

Unfortunately I don't think there's an easy way to make it so you can pick the Sound Group name from a dropdown within Playmaker UI.

44. SteveB

SteveB

Playmaker, yay!!!

ETA Brian!?! :D

-Steve

45. SteveB

SteveB

Hmmm quick question, and as always I try my best to search first but I can't find that this has been talked about in any more detail from the docs, but I apologize if I just missed it.

...you have three options for Sound Spawn Mode, of course Master Audio Location, Caller Location and Attach to Caller. I believe I understand that:

Master Audio - Play at location of the Master Audio Prefab (attached to my camera fyi)
    Caller Location - Play the sound at the last location of the Transform before sound began?
    Attach to Caller - Play sound at the continued location of the Transform (like Helicopter flying by)?

Do I have this correct?

I'm firing events from Mecanim (Event System) and using a script to then play the sounds:

Code (csharp):
    1. void WalkStep_Left()
    2.     {
    3.         MasterAudio.PlaySound("Dirt_StepA", FeetLocation);
    4.     }
    ...and what happens is that the sound plays in the environment (vs. the Master Audio location) but as I move around the world and rotate the camera the sound shifts around, as if the sound is playing from somewhere in the environment and not with the object (FeetLocation) as it moves with the character.

Is it yet possible to play sounds from moving objects? Is this bit of code what I need?

Code (csharp):
    1. MasterAudio.PlaySoundVariable(string soundType, float volumePercentage, Transform
    2. sourceTransform, bool attachToSource);
    If not what is the best way to handle this situation (other than not use Master Audio)?

Thanks guys!

-Steve

46. jerotas

jerotas

I should be done with everything in the next couple days.

47. jerotas

jerotas

"Attach to caller" translates into using the "bool attachToSource" parameter as true, that is correct. That will physically move the AudioSource onto the object "making" the sound so it will follow it around no matter what you do. If you look inside EventSounds.cs that's what it's using under the covers.

48. SteveB

SteveB

Got it and yup works perfectly.

Thanks man and wonderful news about the PM integration!

-Steve

49. jerotas

jerotas

In most cases it works perfectly. I found a couple bugs and have fixed them for the next release, which may be submitted tonight!

50. jerotas

jerotas

I just submitted V2.7 to the Asset Store. Now we have FULL Playmaker support and a lot of other things were fixed:

- Added 19 Playmaker custom actions in a Playmaker optional package included in the plugin.
    - Dragging songs to a playlist now uses the first song for one if it has no clip.
    - Master Audio now complains if "play sound" methods are called and there is no MasterAudio prefab in the scene.
    - Now sorting Sound Groups alphabetically in each bus and in "no bus".
    - MasterAudio.PlaySound now also supports "attach to caller".
    - Added warnings about Playlist methods being disabled if you use "single audio source" instead of PlaylistController.
    - Audio Event script now labels dropdowns correctly as "Sound Group", not "Sound Type".
    - Added settings for "missing sound log mode", which defaults to logging errors, but you can switch to log warnings instead.
    - Added optional child name parameter to PlaySoundVariable as well.
    - Removed useless "attach to source" parameter from 2D version of PlaySound method.
    - Added StopPlaylist method.
    - Bus volume command changed name. Also added "SetBusVolumeByName".
    - Fixed bug: attaching sound to prefab didn't play the sound from the correct location the first time.
    - Fixed bug: when attached to prefab, calling setActiveRecursively (Player dies in demo scene), the Audio can no longer be played the next time.

I also added a much needed table of contents to the documentation, which has been re-organized (link in the OP).