Search Unity

Core GameKit! Pooling / Spawning / Combat

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by jerotas, Jan 27, 2013.

1. kuricat

kuricat

Hi, I have a question about KW. I'm trying the Lite version at the moment and have got enemies spawning correctly. However, I was wondering if it's possible for 1 wave to spawn different types of enemies, rather than just the 1 prefab. Is this a feature in the non-Lite version?

Also, would it be possible to somehow put text between waves? Sort of like, "Wave1", then the wave comes, then "Wave 2", then the wave2 comes, etc. Thank you and sorry for the n00b questions :)

2. dark_tonic

dark_tonic

You are talking about "Prefab Pools", which is a Killer Waves Pro only feature, along with Killables, Triggered Spawners and World Variables.

Yes, you can put text put up at those times. You'll need to code that yourself, but in the KW Pro version, you have Listener classes with events so that you can do this. There is a "Wave Started" event you can use for this so that the code will execute at the correct time. I'm sorry, but the free version makes neither of these easy for you. These are good questions, not n00b at all!

3. jerotas

jerotas

Got a nice update for Killer Waves users submitted to the Asset Store. Updates are as follows.

- Added ability to specify 0 attack points for Killable (for picking non-damaging items like coins and power-ups).
    - Added Playmaker custom actions in an optional package included:
    1) Killable Change Attack Or Hit Points
    2) World Variable Change Value
    - Added PlayerPrefs caching system to massively instease WorldVariable performance on mobile devices.
    - Added NGUI_KillerWaves package inside the main package for NGUI users, containing the NGUI WorldVariableListener script.

Let me know what else you'd like to see!

4. dark_tonic

dark_tonic

Note: Our support forum is going offline very shortly. For whatever reason, customers only post there about 1% as often as they do on this forum (and by emailing us), so we are getting rid of it. Narrowing it down to these 2 methods of support seems to be working fine!

5. jerotas

jerotas

V 2.6.1 is live on the Asset Store! Grab your Playmaker support and the other new stuff :)

6. jerotas

jerotas

I am working on a bunch of suggestions you guys have made recently. So far I have the following done, I think they will be pretty useful!

- Added "Time remaining in current wave" property, which transmits to the LevelSettingsListener every time the number changes (seconds).
    - Added "remaining active spawned items in wave" for repeat and elimination waves. It transmits to LevelSettingsListener every time the number changes.

7. jerotas

jerotas

Warhead, I think a Player Spawner would be cool. Do you have any ideas of what you'd like to see in it? Maybe:

1) Pause time before re-spawn
    2) Spawn particle (optional)
    3) Spawn particle offset position
    4) Player Prefab

Anything else?

8. jerotas

jerotas

I added a much needed OnTriggerExit setting section to the Triggered Spawner and Triggered Despawner (we only had OnTriggerEnter). This was found to be needed during a Skype with one of our users. Quite useful!

It will be in the next update.

9. supericon

supericon

Hey guys. Great plugin.

Quick question for you - like the user above I am adding in a Wave # message at the start of a wave. I am using a listener on the Pro version.

So this relays my message to the Score Flash plugin I also use:

ScoreFlash.Push("New Wave");

And that is in "LevelSettingsListener.cs. It works great but I would like to display the Wave number too.

So my question is how to call the wave number?

10. jerotas

jerotas

Piece of cake supericon. At any time you can read that with:

LevelSettings.CurrentLevelWave

A few people have asked this, because I forgot to put it in the Read Me! Adding now.

11. jerotas

jerotas

I've submitted V2.6.2 to the Asset Store. Change list:

- Added Time remaining in current wave property, which transmits to the LevelSettingsListener every time the number changes (seconds).
    - Added "remaining active spawned items in wave" for repeat and elimination waves. It transmits to LevelSettingsListener every time the number changes.
    - Renamed trigger event to Trigger Enter
    - Added "Trigger Exit" event for Triggered Despawners and Triggered Spawners.
    - Added a KillableListener subclass example script to Example Scene 1. It's on the Main Camera, listening to the Player prefab's Killable script.
    - Added a "spawn one" Playmaker custom action for Syncro Spawners. It will spawn one regardless of speed settings as long as its during a wave the spawner has settings for.
    - Added a "Killer Waves Despawn" custom action.
    - Fixed bug in first 2 Playmaker actions for "Owner" variable.

So you can now put up a wave countdown timer or enemies remaining counter in the game in minutes (that's the first two items).

Player Spawner didn't make it, but I have that and a few other requests coming as well!

Last edited: Sep 14, 2013
  12. jerotas

jerotas

Heads up, I received 2 emails from users today, and yes there is a bug with PrefabPools when you have more than one - only on Unity 4.X, but so far it appears to be a Unity bug. Link here for anyone interested.

I will try to find a way to work around it and update here when I have a solution.

Thanks!

13. jerotas

jerotas

I have worked around the Unity 4.X bug mentioned above to fix Prefab Pools on Unity 4. This will be in the next update after 2.6.2.

If you need this version earlier, please email me at support@darktonic.com

Thank you!
    -Brian

14. ddfire

ddfire

jerotas: Dude i have KW but didnt have the opportunity to try it yet... but your commitments is amazing!!!
    As soon as i try it i will put 5 stars and a comment about your commitment!!!

15. jerotas

jerotas

Thank you sir. I won't let a Unity bug ruin my plugin :)

I'm still trying to figure out a way to make Killer Waves lite include all the features of the full version, but cripple it. I have some ideas...

16. jerotas

jerotas

Killer Waves V2.6.2 is live in the Asset Store. Grab those cool new Playmaker custom actions!

17. jerotas

jerotas

I've just submitted a massive update to the free version Killer Waves Free! (formerly known as Killer Waves Lite). V 2.6.3 now includes every feature (even Playmaker) but disables the advanced features (Triggered Spawners / Killables) 45 seconds into each Scene.

Anyway, now you can try out everything before buying!

18. spinki12

spinki12

Hello there.

First of all Killer waves is a great plugin and help me save a lot of time. I do have small issue as i would like to have a health bar with lets say 10 hit points and every time my player gets hit i would like my health bar to keep track of this. Once there was 10 hits registered the player will loose its life. Already know how to keep track of this life ngui events but can't figure out how to deal with the hits. Anyone can help with it?

Thank you for you time and respond.

19. jerotas

jerotas

Does your player have a prefab? If so, you could use a Killable script on it with 10 hit points and use a KillableListener (method called TakingDamage) to update a UILabel or UIFilledSprite whenever the player gets damaged.

20. spinki12

spinki12

I'm sorry but i don't understand what you mean. my player has a prefab that is correct. There is also attached killable script whit hit points as well. Where to drag the KillabeListener? also do i have to drag something into the Listener place in my killabel script? what do you mean by update UILabel? I'm using NGUI plugin so i would like to update that as i did with the score for example with NGUI WorldVariableListener. Would you be able to provide step by step instruction?
    Thx a lot. I really appreciate it.

21. jerotas

jerotas

Right use the Killable script with hit points as you already have. Then:

1) If you are going to display text for the player's hit points, you're probably using a UILabel (NGUI font text). If so, add a KillableListener script to the UILabel's GameObject.
    2) If you are going to display a health bar for the hit points, you might use a UIFilledSprite instead. Then add a KillableListener to the UIFilledSprite's GameObject instead.

Finally, click on the Player's GameObject and see the "Listener" field in the Inspector at the top. Drag the GameObject containing the KillableListener (from step 1 or 2) into it. Voila! You're done.

22. jerotas

jerotas

Killer Waves Free is now live with the entire functionality of the full version! As I said the pro features stop working 45 seconds into each scene, but it's perfect for tryout purposes. See the OP for a link and grab it in the Asset Store :)

23. jerotas

jerotas

There was a bug in the Inspector where when you press play in the editor it would sometimes forget waves you created in the LevelSettings prefab. Very annoying! Please replace this file to fix it. I will also submit a hotfix now.

24. jerotas

jerotas

V2.6.3 is live. Grab your bug fix!

Oh, by the way we also put the plugin on a 50% off sale starting today!

25. im

im

thanks!

you'all sure support your products and customers well :)

26. jerotas

jerotas

Thank you im, we try our best!

27. jerotas

jerotas

There are some cool new features coming! Just submitted V2.6.5 to the Asset Store. Here's the new stuff:

- Added Killable despawn mode "None" so your prefab won't die automatically at zero hit points. You can manually kill or it whatever you want to do now.
    - Made Killable hit points not able to go below zero.
    - Added "current hit points" to the Killable Inspector so you can see and manipulate the current HP.
    - Added Repeat Mode to syncro triggered spawners with 4 choices:
    1) Number of repetitions (the only option before)
    2) Endless
    3) Until World Variable Above
    4) Until World Variable Below

3 4 allow infinite wave repetition until 1 or more World Variables reach target values you set in the Inspector.
    So you can make wave 5 repeat until you have 10,000 experience points if you like :)

28. jerotas

jerotas

V 2.6.5 is now live in the Asset Store. Let me know what else you'd like to see!

29. jerotas

jerotas

KillerWaves V2.6.6 has been submitted to the Asset Store. Changes are:

- Exposed "TakeDamage" method in Killable.
    - Added Playmaker Custom Action to force the current Wave to end.
    - Modified Playmaker Custom Action "KillableAttackOrHitPointsChange" to add to Current Hit Points as well so it can kill the Killable.
    - Added Playmaker Custom Action "KillableTakeDamage" to inflict damage on a Killable.
    - Added Player Spawner script. Handles spawning, respawning, and an optional spawn particle automatically.

30. Kaemalux

Kaemalux

Hello!
    I bought your plugin, and i must admit it is amazing how many features you can use. I read the documentation, but i think i'm still a bit confused: i'm a newbie Unity user, and i'd like to achieve a simple task with Killer Waves, maybe you can help me...
    I have an enemy, i'd like it to spawn every time a clone is killed, no more than 1 in the scene, and the spawn must not occur immediately. To be more clear, after the player reach such position, the spawn it is triggered and the enemy spawn, when the enemy is killed, if the player is on range, after some seconds (let's say 10, to give him time to move), the enemy respawn. This should happen endlessly if the player doesn't move in time.
    Regarding the part in Killer Waves, could you gently help me? Even if you give me a simple explanation about where /what variables should i look at it is enough!
    Thanks in advance,
    Kae

31. jerotas

jerotas

It sounds like you should use a Triggered Spawner with "Trigger Enter" mode, set the Trigger limit mode to time-based, set the time limit to 10 seconds so you can only trigger it every ten seconds. You should use Killable on your clone for the "death prefab" feature of spawning an enemy when the clone dies. As far as limiting it to only one in the scene, Killer Waves does not limit that, but Pool Manager does with its Spawn Pools.

I will look into adding Spawn Pool per item limits if it's not too much work. However if you're doing mobile, you will want to use Pool Manager or your game will have terrible and unstable performance.

Thanks!

32. jerotas

jerotas

I have some things done for the next version after this as well. Here's a list:

- Fixed up Owner properties of Playmaker custom actions. They had bad code and caused null exception sometimes.
    - Added PauseWave and UnpauseWave methods to LevelSettings. Added Playmaker custom actions for these as well. This lets you call cut scenes and then resume Killer Waves!
    - Added Pause Wave Behavior dropdown for all spawners, so you can selectively choose to ignore the wave pause setting if you want.

Anything else people would like to see? My to do list is empty :)

33. jerotas

jerotas

V 2.6.6 is live on the Asset Store! New custom actions!

34. jerotas

jerotas

V 2.6.7 submitted to the Asset Store. Changes are as follows:

- Fixed up Owner properties of Playmaker custom actions. They had bad code that caused errors sometimes.
    - Added PauseWave and UnpauseWave methods to LevelSettings. Added Playmaker custom actions for these as well.
    - Added Pause Wave Behavior for all spawners, so you can selectively choose to ignore the wave pause setting if you want.
    - Fixed bug where Death Prefab of Killable would use the same prefab in Prefab Pool instead of picking a new one each time.
    - Added the ability to specify a "no prefab" item in Prefab Pools, to enable "spawn nothing" moments in spawners.

Question for users and potential users. I am toying with the idea of making either a competitor standalone plugin to Pool Manager, or integrating that functionality into Killer Waves itself. If it's in Killer Waves, that would raise the price. I haven't done it yet because I figure that everyone already has Pool Manager. Your thoughts?

35. ddfire

ddfire

Keep doing what you do best, do you really need to make a compatition or rise the price to add something that it is out there?
    make a new great idea!!!!
    :D

36. Socrates

Socrates

I have both Killer Waves and Pool Manager. I suspect that since both were on sale relatively recently, others will have both as well. However, it would certainly benefit any existing Killer Waves customers who did not buy Pool Manager (especially if you can use the pools without the full waves package to reduce overhead in a game).

Though you'd have to consider whether the addition of pools to Killer Waves would add enough new customers to balance out any you'd lose by raising the price to cover the additional features added.

37. jerotas

jerotas

Yeah, it's a tough one. I definitely have a few ideas to add so it wouldn't be a "clone package" but would have extra features that Pool Manager does not. Will think more on this. No way would I offer the Pooling features with the free version, unless it was crippled somehow for trial purposes.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2013
  38. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

I have full confidence you will make a very competitive pool manager, with very good integration into the rest of the products you made.

39. jerotas

jerotas

Thank you Lars. It's not a difficult package to make. Integration, workflow and UI is the key!

40. dev_2051

dev_2051

In Killer waves is it possible to change waves dynamically simple AI type of stuff.
    e.g. if player is playing good then based on some world variables spawn waves which has higher level enemies or vice-versa.
    This will need the killer waves to be able to skip some waves spawning and jump onto further waves.

Otherwise this is really an awesome package enjoying working with it :)

41. jerotas

jerotas

You can repeat a wave until a World Variable reaches a number, but you can't skip waves entirely. I'll see if I can come up with a way to do that, but I can't promise anything. Part of the problem is that you can have multiple spawners attached to one wave. I'll think about this for awhile.

You're talking about enemy AI like Xevious and Zanac had (2 of my all time favorite games by the way).

42. IndyLion

IndyLion

I was wondering how i could make this infinitely spawn enemies? Great product by the way!

43. jerotas

jerotas

Thanks IndyLion. Are you wanting a single wave that infinitely spawns in one wave? You can already make a wave *repeat* infinitely. Let me know which way you want and if it doesn't exist yet, I'll add it.

44. IndyLion

IndyLion

Ok so if the "repeat" is selected then it repeats infinitely? I just want one wave to continuously spawn.

45. jerotas

jerotas

You need to select "endless" - that's one of the options. Repeat Mode in syncro triggered spawners has 4 choices:

1) Number of repetitions (the only option before and default)
    2) Endless
    3) Until World Variable Above
    4) Until World Variable Below

46. jerotas

jerotas

I got this done! Now you can set Skip Wave Type for each wave in Level Settings. So you can say that you wish to skip the wave if Score is higher than 5000 (or any World Variable). I'm waiting on Asset Store to approve the last update so I can't submit yet. If anyone wants the newest package now, please email me with your invoice# at jerotas2005@yahoo.com!

I am also going to add World Variable filters to Prefab Pool items, so you can have items in there that are only active when you reach a certain number Experience Points (or any World Variable). This will let you use a single Prefab Pool that evolves over time (tougher enemies).

47. jerotas

jerotas

I've got some extremely powerful features coming to Killer Waves. Just finished up the following:

- Added Skip Wave Type to Waves in Level Settings. You can choose None, Always, IfWorldVariableValueAbove or IfWorldVariableValueBelow and add WorldVariable conditions to skip the wave.

- Added Wave Skipped event in LevelSettingsListener.

- Removed "Active" checkbox on Prefab Pool Items. Added Active Item Mode instead. Choices are Always (default), Never, IfWorldVariableInsideRange IfWorldVariableOutsideRange. This lets you control which items are in the Prefab Pool based on XP, Score, etc. They are re-evaluated each time the Prefab Pool re-fills after running out of items. This way you can make it so you have primitive A.I sending more difficult enemies as the player does better, automatically!

- Added Custom Start Wave setting in Level Settings so you can start playing on the level and wave you select. You can toggle this on and off. Great for testing higher waves!

Here are some screenshots. As always, no code for you to write! I think we're just starting to scratch the surface of what this plugin is capable of. Keep those ideas coming! These were pretty easy to code on my end!

$2.PNG

$Capture.PNG

Last edited: Oct 16, 2013
  48. dev_2051

dev_2051

Awesome work jerotas :)
    You are really a gr8 developer ,with full dedication towards your product adding new features and a great customer support.
    Hats off...

49. jerotas

jerotas

Thank you, it's appreciated! It helps that I've had a lot of free time lately to work on the plugins.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2013
  50. jerotas

jerotas

Killer Waves 2.6.7 is now live.