Search Unity

Core GameKit! Pooling / Spawning / Combat

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by jerotas, Jan 27, 2013.

1. jerotas

jerotas

Yes, I sent you a private message on the forum here. I wasn't able to run that. I got 150 warnings and 2 errors. I think we'll have to Skype instead. I may have some time tomorrow. I believe we Skyped before awhile ago?

2. Vaupell

Vaupell

Thank you, for your response.

Just bought the asset, time to experiment ;)

3. jerotas

jerotas

Thank you sir. Let us know if you have any questions!

4. jerotas

jerotas

Core GameKit V3.1.6 submitted and will be live in 5 minutes. Changes:

• Fixed Killable Child Visibility script so it will work when Instantiating in Awake inside Pool Boss.
    • Fixed Killable Child Collision script so it will work when Instantiating in Awake inside Pool Boss.
    • Updated Playmaker Custom Actions to inclide a TooltipAttribute so they will still work on Unity 4.5.

5. jerotas

jerotas

An update for those interested. I took a look at the project and found a problems, some with setup, and an error which I fixed and submitted in the newest version tonight. Chibwemwn should be good soon.

6. TonyLi

TonyLi

Dialogue System + Core GameKit users: The Dialogue System for Unity version 1.1.6 includes updated support for the latest version of Core GameKit. Please note that all cutscene sequencer commands have been renamed to CoreGameKitXXX() from KillerWavesXXX().

Support for Killer Waves 2.x is also still available in a separate sub-package in the Dialogue System, but it's no longer being actively developed.

7. jerotas

jerotas

Thanks for the quick support Tony! Dialogue System is super awesome if anyone hasn't taken a look :)

8. jerotas

jerotas

I'm now doing some new "Playmaker Listeners" that let you directly fire off an event in a Playmaker FSM from any of the CGK events that our listeners listen to. And our Inspector lets you pick the FSM and event in the FSM from dropdowns. Couldn't be simpler! Here's a picture.

9. sirius_002

sirius_002

Awesome work as always Brian!

10. jerotas

jerotas

Awesome, we have more Playmaker goodness for you and more! Core GameKit V3.1.7 is submitted and will be live in 5 minutes. Changeset:

• Added Spawn Layer Mode Spawn Tag Mode settings to both spawner types. Choices are UseSpawnPrefabSettings (default), UseSpawnerSettings, and Custom. Custom lets you specify a layer and / or tag to apply to all prefabs spawned by the spawner.
    • Added RestartWave for Syncro Spawners method in LevelSettings. It will reset the repeat count to zero as well for spawners that use that wave. Wave is unpaused as well if it was paused.
    • Added a LevelSettings Listener method for WaveRestarted.
    • Added Playmaker Custom Action for RestartWave.
    • Added Playmaker Listeners for each of the normal Core GameKit Listeners. These allow you to fire off an event in a Playmaker FSM on the same game object as the Playmaker Listener. You get to select the FSM and event from dropdowns. Couldn't be simpler!
    • All Listeners now hook themselves up automatically if you put them on a GameObject with a matching source. i.e. Putting a Killable Listener onto a GameObject with a Killable will hook up the Listener automatically.

11. Navid

Navid

Hi,

how can i change spawn position from Death Prefab at Killable script?

12. jerotas

jerotas

Edit: added a "Spawn offset" Vector3 field to Killable's Death Prefab section. Should be live in 5 minutes in V3.1.8

Last edited: Feb 7, 2014
  13. GLucasDev2

GLucasDev2

just updated

14. jerotas

jerotas

That file has been deleted in V3.0. I mentioned that in the release notes. Go ahead and delete it. It would be cool if package updates can handle this, but it can't :(

15. jerotas

jerotas

Core GameKit V3.1.8 will be live in about 5 minutes. Changes:

• Added Death Prefab Offset (vector3) field to Killable. Now you can move the death prefab a certain distance away from the one dying with this.

16. ChrisMaster

ChrisMaster

Hi Jerots.

I was wondering, is there a way to call a method on a specific wave?

What I am trying to achive is. I want for example I have set many waypoints in my game. I want on level X wave X to create enemies (from prefab) that have a script on them and on wave X i want them to call a method with parameter so they will know what waypouints in this wave to use.

The reason I ask is because I dont want to duplicate prefabs with 10 difrrent paths, I want to have a 1 prefab of anemy and define the path(that is already in scene) by the levelmanger if its possible.
    I hope you understand what I am trying to say. My english is far from perfect.

Kind reagrds
    KZ

17. jerotas

jerotas

You will have to use Triggered Spawners to make things happen on demand. However there are no parameters to use. I think you will have to subclass TriggeredSpawner and use the AfterSpawn method to somehow determine (and set) properties on the spawns (your own script) to do that.

18. ChrisMaster

ChrisMaster

19. jerotas

jerotas

Better yet, if you can just build some logic into the Killable subclass for your prefabs that need waypoints in the "OnSpawned" method to grab from elsewhere the correct waypoint set, that's probably easiest. That's how we did it in our game. If you do it that way, no need to subclass the spawners.

20. Navid

Navid

wow,
    thank you Brian

21. jerotas

jerotas

No problem.

22. KidSicarus

KidSicarus

Hey, jerotas. Your assets are looking great.

I am to inquire about the possibility of incorporating various damage types.

For instance: Say you cast a fireball which inflicts obvious fire damage to an enemy who has certain fire-damage mitigation. Or say you wanted to cause piercing damage to an enemy that was susceptible to said piercing damage.

Is this currently possible, or would it be possible to script or add? We need a fairly robust solution to both damage inflicted and received.

Also, is it possible to ramp up health percentage on a player-level basis through variables? We are mostly interested in uScript and PlayMaker to help us prototype.

Lastly, how much longer is your current sale of both this plug-in and Master Audio: AAA Sound Solution?

Thank you very much for your time and efforts.

23. jerotas

jerotas

I'm trying to think of a way to do what you want with the fire-damage mitigation but I can't think of a good "no coding" way to add that right now.

If you were able to figure out the logic of points of damage inflicted vs not inflicted based on the tag of what's being collided with (let's say you assign different weapons different tags for each), then I could modify the TakeDamage method to tell you the tag.

Then, you could override the "TakeDamage" method in the Killable class by writing a subclass and putting your own logic there for fire-damage mitigation or whatever, but it would require actually writing some code for this. Probably just a few lines.

Let me know if that's something you'd like to pursue, and if so, I will make the changes this week.

The current sales on both plugins will be going on another week or 2 at the most.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2014
  24. TomEnokR

TomEnokR

I bought this a few months ago, looking to do a Tower Defense game. Is there any way you can create a demo scene or basic template for such? Or at least give some basic direction. I'm just starting to work with your asset now. Thanks in advance.

25. dark_tonic

dark_tonic

As it turns out, we are actually working on a TD kit template for Core GameKit, but we've just begun work, and don't have a hard date for release (probably months away).

26. Chibwemwn

Chibwemwn

How do I display Core Game Kit's world variables with Playmaker, using Unity's GUI system? There's gotta be a way to do this, without a plug-in, like NGUI.

27. jerotas

jerotas

There's no need to use Playmaker for that. Just use the World Variable Listener. The "stock" World Variable Listener included uses unity's GUI system.

28. Chibwemwn

Chibwemwn

I'm doing that, but I can't seem to customize the font, and other attributes. How do I change the font?

29. jerotas

jerotas

Not possible as far as I know. You could ask this question (is it possible to use another font with Unity GUI) over on the scripting forum here. Maybe someone reading this knows?

30. Chibwemwn

Chibwemwn

I don't quite understand, because if you're able to use NGUI with CoreGameKit to customize the look of the Fonts in the UI, then how can't I do that with the regular GUIText? This is how I've set it up now. $Screen shot 2014-02-12 at 9.38.35 PM.png

31. jerotas

jerotas

Because NGUI has font atlas support, and lets you modify / construct your own font because of that. I see there's a font field in the GUI Text Inspector there. Are there other fonts if you click the dot there? If not, you'll have to figure out how to add more for that purpose.

32. Chibwemwn

Chibwemwn

Okay, so that's a font that I've added myself, and I more or less know how to add and edit fonts that I install. The font in the image above is the font I want to use, but it's not the font showing up during runtime. None of these GUIText settings are carrying over when displaying the Score. How can I make it work? There's gotta be a way. It would suck to have to buy something like NGUI on top of CGK just to show things like score in my games, wouldn't you say? The UI is the last part I need to figure out, then I'm pretty much done with this particular project I'm working on, right now.

33. rcart

rcart

My apologies if any of following has already been answered, but I'm having trouble finding anything with "search thread".

1. Through Playmaker, is there a way or action which allows me to store the value of a CGK variable into a Playmaker variable?

2. Or, is there a way I can modify the value of one CGK variable directly using another CGK variable on a time delta / per second basis?

In truth, I am loathe to make this post as it sounds entirely too much like a request for a custom feature. But, as I am a woefully inadequate programmer, I thought I might reach out for whatever help, if any, I may be able to receive.

As such, any sort of guidance on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2014
  34. Chibwemwn

Chibwemwn

I've actually been wondering about this, myself.

35. jerotas

jerotas

I agree. As I said, you should ask this question over in the scripting forum here: http://forum.unity3d.com/forums/12-Scripting

Someone there will definitely know the real answer. I'm just guessing. By the way, Daikon Forge is on sale for $26 today (big sale). UI plugins are not just for score either. You'd make menus and popups and all sorts of things. Sorry I don't have the answer for you.

36. jerotas

jerotas

I could make such a custom action (2 actually) - one for integers and one for floats. However it would not track changes to the CGK variable, it would just take a snapshot. Is that allright?

37. rcart

rcart

Oh man, anything there really would be awesome :D. I really couldn't ask for more.

38. jerotas

jerotas

I'll put it on the list for the next version :)

39. rcart

rcart

Cool beans! Thank you ahead of time!

40. Chibwemwn

Chibwemwn

Okay, I've figured out how to change the style of the GUI, by creating a new GUI Skin, and that has gotten me closer to solving my issue. Where can I modify what style CGK is using to make the score label? I'll definitely have a look at that forum, though. Also, I think if there was a way to track the world variable, either with PlayMaker or some other way, it would help me find another way to achieve my goal. :)

41. jerotas

jerotas

I'm going to add a couple "get world variable" Playmaker custom actions in the next version. That should help. I also might be able to add a font property in the inspector of World Variable Listeners, I can look into that.

42. Chibwemwn

Chibwemwn

Awesome! That and the Y start option to go along with the current X start option would make things awesome! :)

43. jerotas

jerotas

I'll look into that as well while I'm in there :)

44. Navid

Navid

I´d like to make a endless runner game with Killer Waves.
    My problem at the moment is, how can i spawn a road prefab every e.g +z = 200?
    I tried collider and/or hero postion etc.
    Is there a simple solution?

Last edited: Feb 14, 2014
  45. jerotas

jerotas

You could place TriggeredSpawners every 200z with a trigger that you run across. If that's not possible with the way things are set up (because it's endless), you can use a few lines of code to trigger the "code-triggered event" on a Triggered Spawner whenever the z increases to the next 200.

46. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

So I am having Major Issues with this package.

_1 The Sample scenes do not run even if I put them in the Build Settings.
    _2 Most of the videos seem outdated to the current version.
    _3 The Plug-In Shows an example scene starting with the player prefab a PlayerSpawner object (No Prefab but I found a script) and a camera. I can't start there and follow the video because some error with the player prefab and the Pooling system.

Code (csharp):
    1. NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    2. PoolBoss.Spawn (UnityEngine.Transform transToSpawn, Vector3 position, Quaternion rotation) (at Assets/DarkTonic/CoreGameKit/Scripts/PoolBoss/PoolBoss.cs:126)
    3. SpawnUtility.Spawn (UnityEngine.Transform spawn, Vector3 spawnPos, Quaternion spawnRotation) (at Assets/DarkTonic/CoreGameKit/Scripts/Utility/SpawnUtility.cs:24)
    4. KW_Player.Update () (at Assets/DarkTonic/CoreGameKit/ExampleScenes/Scripts/KW_Player.cs:44)
    This seems like an Amazing Tool but it is so disorganized that a Beginner gets frustrated very quickly.

47. jerotas

jerotas

Sorry to hear that. Are you the same person that emailed us this morning? I haven't been able to take a look yet, but there have been exactly zero reports of what you're seeing before, among our thousands of customers. Maybe you should try deleting the package and re-importing? No need to alter your build settings.

By the way, the core features shown in the video have not changed at all, so those videos are fine for reference. I will do another video of the newer features soon, We will not however be covering that core material again with a different video. The videos do not necessarily correspond exactly to any example scene, and we did not claim that they do.

I will try to take a look later tonight by downloading a fresh copy from the Asset Store. What Unity version are you on?

This plugin is not disorganized, but there may of course be some temporary problem with the Asset Store version. That does happen from time to time.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2014
  48. jerotas

jerotas

Following up. I downloaded a fresh copy of the plugin into a completely empty new project on Unity 4.3 (and 3.5.7) and I didn't get any script errors. I was able to run all example scenes fine. I suggest you delete everything download a fresh copy. Maybe there was a download problem.

49. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

I have No Doubt the package is Awesome. Too many great reviews not to be. But as someone that has never even seen the code it can be frustrating.

I added the LevelWaveSettings Prefab and added the projectile to the Pooling section and then I could fire.I am using the latest free version of Unity. The Demo scenes still do not run properly.

Will try re-downloading

50. jerotas

jerotas

You don't need to add that prefab. It's already in the scene (all of them)...I hope re-downloading it works better and sorry about the trouble.