Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

2 different characters holding a rifle

Discussion in 'Animation' started by chrilley, Apr 16, 2014.

1. chrilley

chrilley

I am trying to use 1 animation set for 2 different characters. There is a slight difference in rig proportions because one is male and the other is female. This becomes an issue when I need it to be somewhat exact when it comes to aiming and holding a rifle.

Right now it works perfectly for the male character(animation was made from its rig) but not quite as well for the female one who's aim is off by a few degrees and her right hand misses the rifle grip completely and grabs empty air.

Are there any easy fixes for this or do I just simply have to make 2 different animation sets based upon each rig?

2. TonyLi

TonyLi

If you have Unity Pro, you can use IK to position hands perfectly. Just add a child transform to the rifle where you want the hand to be, and set the IK position to that transform's position.

If you don't have Pro, you can get Final IK and do even more.

If you don't want to do either of these, you could use a rig-specific animation just for the holding-the-gun animation and use layers or a blend tree (0=play male holding-the-gun, 1=play female holding-the-gun) so you can use the same animation controller. This way you can minimize the number of rig-specific animations.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2014
  3. chrilley

chrilley

Hey, thanks for the reply!

At some point we will use IK for the right hand. Though thus far I am a bit skeptical of it. I haven't found a way to change the direction of the elbow and it often results in awkward angles for the arm. Do you know if there is a way to control this?

Final IK looks very interesting, thanks for the link!

I think the last option you mentioned seems to be what we're most likely gonna end up having to do though. Let's see how much work we can save with layering heh. :)

4. TonyLi

TonyLi

Happy to help, and good luck!