Search Unity

2.7 release / kernel panics

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by smarcus, Sep 28, 2010.

1. smarcus

smarcus

I was hoping that the unveiling of 3.0 would include a 2.7 (or some such) bugfix release. 2.6.1 has some major issues with resolution switching on the Mac that make it essentially impossible to use on the fly. After pushing the project to 3.0 for compatibility testing I was happy to see that this was resolved.

However- something in 3.0 is interacting with my project to cause some major kernel panics- they are bad enough that at first I assumed I had a RAM chip go faulty on me; I'm even seeing echo panics during the startup after a hard reboot. I think it's the new shader system fighting with my existing shaders, based on the panic readouts reference to nvidia components, except that my existing shaders were pretty simple. I'm going to try to revert them all to builtin variations to see if I can isolate it.

Anyway: for the time being, I'm going to install 2.6.0 as a compile monkey alongside 2.6.1, and hold off on 3.0 until I figure out what is going on. In the meantime- here's hoping for 2.7...

Support folk: you'll get a bug report from me once I figure out what's going on (and rule the potential for a RAM issue).

2. smarcus

smarcus

Scratch that- I get a kernel panic opening up a new project, too.

3. Dreamora

Dreamora

I would take it as granted that there will be no updates to neither unity 2.x nor unity iphone 1.x

also software can't make ram go faulty.
    overheating of the system, psu problems and pure age can so I would expect that your cooling potentially has problems and the ram overheated or that the psu is dieing

4. CoatlGames

CoatlGames

i would think its more faulty driver or faulty hardware thats causing so much kernel panics, maybe some component of your mac is old and is about to die, or maybe your are runing a hackinosh?..

also its clearly obvious that there will be no further bug fixes to the 2.x versions , thats why this one is 3.0

5. smarcus

smarcus

Yeah- having investigated further, it was a total coincidence- my 3D card died the same day I installed 3.0. Correlation, not causation.

6. Dreamora

Dreamora

ouch ... though ram and gpu going nuts sounds even more like PSU going bogus