Search Unity

2.5D Platformer (advergame)

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by Erik Harg, Jan 20, 2010.

1. Erik Harg

Erik Harg

Just a week ago, we put the finishing touches on our latest game, called "Just look" («Bare let» in Norwegian). It is a 2.5D platformer game, borrowing a few concepts and ideas from legendary Super Mario, but keeping it in our style.

Gameplay is quite simple: catch the bus as quickly as possible, while collecting pickup-points. Jump on turkeys to kill'em, but don't get too close to them, they have vicious wings!

The game is an integral part of the new ad campaign from bus company Team Trafikk of Trondheim, Norway. Best players daily are rewarded with free tickets for buses, cinemas etc.

Play the game (text in Norwegian, but shouldn't be too hard to understand) here:
    http://barelet.no/

A gameplay walkthrough (with skewed audio, for some reason) is available here:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mfl3tDldb8

We here at TerraVision made the game in just three weeks, re-using some of the assets from our previous Xmas08 demo game, and with the help of Thomas P. of 3D Attack on 3D art, and the ad agency Scanpartner doing the web site and some concept art. Over the last week, the game has been quite a hit: Considering that the ad campaign targets a city of approximately 150.000 inhabitants, having >2500 unique players and almost 10.000 started games is something we're really pleased with!

Feedback is welcome!

2. ColossalDuck

ColossalDuck

Wow, that is fun. Nice work.

3. Aiursrage2k

Aiursrage2k

Quite good!

4. CoherentInk

CoherentInk

That's really well done! Are you going to make more levels?

5. MatthewJCollins

MatthewJCollins

I really like the look of this game! It plays well too, but I do wish it was a tad easier to jump onto the platforms. All in all it's very nice though! Great work!

6. VL3

VL3

Good Job! I like the graphics! :)

7. Deleted User

Deleted User

The gameplay is a lot like Mario, be careful if you're going to make the game commercial :D

Some feedback, controlling is very hard.. Try to adjust gravity so he wouldn't jump in slow motion. Umm.. That's about it. good luck :D

8. Erik Harg

Erik Harg

Thanks all for the very kind comments!

@djoscard: This is as commercial as it will get. We're not in the business of making commercial entertainment, but rather advergames, serious games and interactive viz., but I see your point on the likeness with Mario. At least in our jurisdiction, I think we're well on the right side of any copyright issues.
    I guess we will not change the gravity/jumping speed now, since the competition is already well underway, and that would obviously change the timing/scoring. But, otherwise a good suggestion, bearing in mind that we have to balance swiftness with in-the-air control, both of which are necessary to get good player control.

@Dele: Thank you! You mean jumping should be faster, or that the player should fall off the platforms less easily?

@Coherentlink: Nope, no more levels planned. Well, if we're paid to do more, we will, but this is really a limited campaign only, so don't get your hopes up.

9. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

I have to add that it was a lot of fun creating art assets for this game. It's always a pleasure working for TerraVision. You guys are always nice and fun. Wish more clients were as much fun as you guys ;) The game is well done and I am proud of it. Well done everybody.

Thomas P.
    Freelance 3D Artist

10. Wolf Dreamer

Wolf Dreamer

Some of those chickens are a lot tougher than they look!

Had some platforms too high up to jump to.

Nice game though. I played it through to the van at the end, only dying a few dozen times.