Search Unity

[2.5D][Adventure] Mineral Mine

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by aixaix, Feb 21, 2012.

?

Which Movement fits better?

Poll closed Feb 24, 2012.
  1. Free Movement

6 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Block by Block

3 vote(s)
    25.0%
  3. Doesn't matter.

3 vote(s)
    25.0%
  1. aixaix

aixaix

ok, i'll add this in the next update! so far i listed all to the thread :|

2. aixaix

aixaix

Updated! mostly GUI!

3. StormGamer

StormGamer

are you sure there is mining? everytime i press left mouse button nothing happens...

4. aixaix

aixaix

umh, odd...

5. aixaix

aixaix

fixed it!

6. aixaix

aixaix

Updated!

7. aixaix

aixaix

Update

8. aixaix

aixaix

Sorry about the video, i don't have a widescreen monitor! :)

9. virror

virror

So, how do the boost work? Is it on some sort of timer or something?
    Also ladder placement seems broken? I cant place ladders when i press q.
    I like the new graphics and the gui : )

Last edited: Mar 29, 2012
  10. aixaix

aixaix

Thank you, well i will completely remove ladders as its seems stupid :)
    and there will be a boost bar or something on the screen in the future!
    also going to finish the exp bar soon.

The boost will be upgradeable, atm. you've got 10boost every upgrade willl add 2/5 can't decide yet :)

11. aixaix

aixaix

I'll try to fix the xp bar, and then going to add a boost bar... :)

Also, i'll add some upgrades to the store :)

12. aixaix

aixaix

xp bar and boost bar 100% working!
    Upgrades will come in the next update!
    Also updated the thread!

13. MoonQuake

MoonQuake

I've kinda followed the development of this game for awhile.
    I like how it's original.

I just feel like it's not evolving much though.

The game needs a serious visual update, style and more explanations about the goal and why you do what you do. Some story or reason why people would want to play.

Are you digging to save miners imprisoned underground, mining resources to build something bigger, looking for resources to eventually upgrade your mining robot into a spaceship to leave the planet... something like that.

I think you should also put a title screen and give your game a name. Ask around for somebody who would like to create art for your game (Collaboration forum section) and push this thing forward. :)

MQ

14. aixaix

aixaix

Well, i like the planet leaving idea! and yes, i would get some serious art ppl when im done with the basics.

15. aixaix

aixaix

i just realized that there was no webplayer link.
    added it :)

16. MoonQuake

MoonQuake

Yeah, you could also put the webplayer link in your signature. :)

The reason I'm suggesting you get some art upgrade it that this will generate more interest for your game. Even if you are not done with the basics. Remember: people are attracted by beautiful things. :)

17. aixaix

aixaix

18. MoonQuake

MoonQuake

I was thinking and had an idea for your game to add a goal to it and keep the RPG/leveling up system to it.

Design idea:
    The planet you are on will explode in 5 minutes on Hard difficulty. (or 10 for Medium or 15 for Easy difficulty) so you want to leave the planet as soon as possible. (time estimates just to give an idea)

You are digging to find resources to sell at the store. You must buy 5 pieces of equipment to upgrade the robot. Each piece of equipment will grant you a new ability. Once fully upgraded you can launch yourself out of the planet...but you must get back to the surface and get the final upgrade before time runs out to escape.

Time is very important so you must act quickly and take the best decisions about what you buy and when.

While you are digging, you can randomly find:

- Oil: that is worth $ at the store and weights 1.
    - Copper: that is worth $$ at the store and weights 2.
    - Titanium: that is worth $$$$ at the store and weights 4.
    - Extra time orb that adds +30 seconds to your time. (no weight, you don't carry it, effective immediately)

You can only carry a total weight of 5 of these at a time so you MUST get to the surface to drop your resources in a mining cart.
    Ex. 1 Titanium + 1 Oil = a weight of 5. Can't carry more, must get to the surface to empty the Robot.
    You can then go to the store to sell resources if you have enough to buy what you want. If not, you must go back down the mines and continue mining.

Each square you dig also gives you experience. Every level up make the robot move faster, dig faster, jump higher.

At the store, you can buy (in any order):

- Robot Upgrade Part 1: allows you to dig two blocks deep at a time in any direction. $$$$$
    - Robot Upgrade Part 2: allows you to plant 1 bomb every 10 seconds that blows-up any type of block in a 3x3 radius. $$$$$
    - Robot Upgrade Part 3: allows you to place a teleporter anywhere you want that takes you back to the surface instantly and back down where you were. Can be moved at another location at will. $$$$$
    - Robot Upgrade Part 4: allows you to dig through solid blocks (the grey ones) as fast as if they were regular blocks.

Mendatory final upgrade...
    - Robot Upgrade Part 5: super rocket boosters that allows you to take off out of this world. $$$$$

I don't know how far you want to push your game but you could also add multiplayer so that 2 players can compete to be the first to escape the planet. They both would have the same randomly generated world. There would not be any time restriction like in singleplayer.

What do you think? :)

MQ

Last edited: Apr 3, 2012
  19. aixaix

aixaix

well, i would like to keep the current gamemode in it too.
    so maybe it will be a additional gamemode.

20. MoonQuake

MoonQuake

I'm not exactly sure what the current gamemode is, but I know you worked on that quite a lot and you want to pursue in the same direction.
    I think the design idea I wrote above goes along with what I think the game's vision is right now and, along with updated controls, graphics and a faster pace gameplay, would greatly improve your game.
    If your intention was to make a game that would be very popular and attract more attention, I suggest you take the time to think this through.

Why not ask around? Maybe make a poll to ask people around what they think of the game in its current state and if the above design ideas would be a change in the right direction? You never know.

It's happen in the past where I started a poll with a question like "So, what do you think is the goal of my game?" or "Do you know where to go and what to do?" and I would be very surprised to know that, like, 50% of the people would NOT know what to do.

Anyways, it's all up to you, aix.

MQ

Last edited: Apr 3, 2012
  21. aixaix

aixaix

well, in my blog ppl can comment on my posts, so yeah. if anyone wants to leave a suggestion. go on!

22. MetaMythril

MetaMythril

I have to agree it felt very much similar to Motherload and a relative clone of it on iOS called I Dig It

I'm all for someone taking something old and putting a new twist on it. Right now though, I'm not seeing any twist other than the current "mining skill" RPG element. Which doesn't really make apparent what benefits the skill increase will bring. Good call on removing the ladders as all it would do is complicate things and add an extra chore to make getting out of the hole possible.

Like in both Motherload and I Dig It, I liked the fuel concept as it gave power to the player to either keep going to get that last bit of cargo (feeds the players greed) or decide when they needed to head back to the surface if they were running low on fuel (exercises their restraint of greed for necessary survival).

I can't tell you how nerve-wracking it was to be several hundred feet deep underground, heading back to the surface because of low fuel and worrying all the while if I had enough fuel to make it back.

I do like the idea of building up your equipment to leave the planet. Where Motherload and I Dig It fell short is that there was no clear end in sight to the game.

Good luck!

23. MoonQuake

MoonQuake

I wasn't even aware of the existence of the game Motherload.
    What happens when you run out of fuel in this game? You lose?
    I thought about that when thinking of ways to improve on Aix's game but I felt like it would be too hard to keep track of how far down you can go with a certain amount of remaining fuel and knowing if you have enough to make it back to the surface.

I agree about trying to find ways to make the game more unique. That's why I wanted to help story/design-wise with my little pitch up there.
    Keeping it simple and short also is a good design choice.

MQ

24. aixaix

aixaix

Yes, you have a point there.

Well, i will start thinking more about it.

25. MetaMythril

MetaMythril

vivalarosa had posted a link to Motherload above: http://www.xgenstudios.com/play/motherload

It is free to play from what I remember. I can't remember what happens if you run out of fuel, but you had the ability to buy extra fuel tanks so that you could refuel down in the hole.

That was one of the great challenges in the game. It becomes easier once you have a stockpile of extra fuel, but when you are starting out, you have to be very careful.

26. MoonQuake

MoonQuake

Yeah, you run out of fuel = boom! :)

Didn't know Mineral Mine was such a clone of another game... and another browser game on top of it! :)

This reinforces the need for uniqueness for this game.

27. aixaix

aixaix

well, im thinking of making other levels you can train.
    also, i just thought about your idea.
    i think i will add it but the without the time. so you don't have to leave if you don't want to.
    also, when you start fresh. you don't have any booster which can boost you into the space.
    so you first need to get the upgrades, when you have them, then you can travel from planets to other planets, but you'll need special fluid/ore/mineral or something for the engine to work. still not sure about it. should start writing stuff down :/

28. aixaix

aixaix

Well, little update! removed ladders completely!
    added booster upgrades (Max upgrade 5 [$8000])

29. aixaix

aixaix

another little update!

30. aixaix

aixaix

Update!

31. aixaix

aixaix

Updated!

32. aixaix

aixaix

Fixed the link!

33. virror

virror

You are getting there : )
    Starting to feel like a real game now with some upgrades and stuff.
    Some feedback:
    The background switching is a bit strange though when it changes the sky and everything : p
    I think you gain levels way to fast, level 5 in less than a min.
    Please move the inventory so you can see it + shop at the same time.
    Default mine is way to short, minerals start to spawn on the lowest layer, making them impossible to gather.
    Also, you should switch the values in the inventory to 0/10 instead of 10/0

Last edited: Apr 17, 2012
  34. aixaix

aixaix

yeah, the level size changer will be on a different gamemode... if you jus twant to play.
    in the storyline/campaign mode the worlds are certain sizes. and the map is that small right now because im just testing the stuff...
    NOTE: you can now make the map like 20 by 500 and it didn't lag ( standalone )

the background has to be switched to something more smoother/better, because it changes the whole sky, and it stays still

The inventory is a dragable window, but i should change the default pos, cause all windows have the same default pos right now.

yes, the inventory values are the wrong way ( again ).

Thanx for the feedback,
    Aix,

35. aixaix

aixaix

Made a video...

36. aixaix

aixaix

Sorry, i deleted the video.

But a little update for you!

37. aixaix

aixaix

Bigger update!
    Finally got a background that smoothly blends to the background depending on you height!
    and some FOV!

38. Zerdex

Zerdex

I had a lot of fun playing this! xD But I was sad when I fell through the world... >.< ...I really think there should be an item or something that gives you air control. :)

39. aixaix

aixaix

Well, That's good that someone enjoyed!
    Yes, the booster controlling system has a bug, which doesn't allow you to go left or right while boosting...
    And i should make some sort of a blocking script, which doesn't allow you to fall out of the map!

Thanks for your feedback,
    Aix

40. aixaix

aixaix

Another update! :)
    When i\m doing good i just can't stop :)

41. aixaix

aixaix

Another update!
    and happy 1st of april ( even tho its not a special day :D )

42. aixaix

aixaix

More fixed and updates!

43. aixaix

aixaix

another update with some fixes and new stuff.

I have a question though, is it a good idea to make the map like go around ( if you walt too far on the on side you'll be teleported to the other side and will walk back to start), I like this idea because when you'll have like a blocked area, you're like boxed in.