Search Unity

2.5.1 Webplayer Preview

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Samantha, Jun 22, 2009.

1. Samantha

Samantha

With Unity 2.5.1 quickly wrapping up development, the last item on our to-do list is verifying webplayer compatibility. As a team we do systematic testing on a broad range of weplayers. However, we really want 200% confidence instead of a measly 100%. So we're asking for a little help -- from you!

If you want to help make Unity 2.5.1 a flawless release, there are two simple things you can do.

1) Auto-update to the 2.5.1 webplayer plugin by visiting this page: http://beta.unity3d.com/AutoupdateTest/
    2) Go play as many webplayers as possible. Your own or someone else's, published or unpublished, anything you can find.

Every game you play should look and behave exactly the same as it did before the update. In fact, if you see any differences (or problems) at all, write us an email at support@unity3d.com. Include the url of the problematic webplayer, and the OS, browser, and graphics card you're using. It's best to let us know right away so we can fix it immediately!

We already know the Unity community is amazing, and this is your chance to actively participate along with the development team to ship a new version. Rock 'n roll, and send your pre-release 2.5.1 webplayer bugs to support@unity3d.com!

2. KarelA

KarelA

downloading now.

3. ryanzec

ryanzec

Well the auto update worked good, I will see how stuff plays in it later.

4. nikko

nikko

Works fine here. Good job.

5. yellowlabrador

yellowlabrador

I got an error after clicking your link
    Verification or URL failed

Ray

6. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

And did you write support@unity3d.com with that information as requested? If not then please do ASAP, thanks!

7. yellowlabrador

yellowlabrador

oopps :oops:
    Done!.

8. WillBellJr

WillBellJr

Smooth update for me as well - everything I've tested is working fine also.

Thanks for letting the community help out and bang on it a bit before the release. 8)

-Will

9. Dreamora

Dreamora

No direct problems found: Vista64 Business, Corei7, GTX280, Firefox 3.0.11

What I thought at least subjectively feel is that for example the island demo has very small stutters in, but I'm unsure if they were newly introduced or not as I don't have a non 2.5.1 sys anymore now

10. diese440

diese440

2.5.1 auto update worked very fine for me, on :

1) Safari 4.0 Imac 20' 10.4.11
    2) IE 6.0.2900 Windows XPpro Windows SP3

Well done ! :D

11. Veli

Veli

Works pretty well here as well.

Any chance to see a changelog on this one?

12. n0mad

n0mad

update successful in safari 4 under vista 64.

13. deepcgi

deepcgi

I'm having ongoing troubles with my portfolio site published in Apple iWeb (yeah, yeah, I know) with IE8.

http://www.shadowlab.com/Shadowlab/Real-Time_Lab.html

"Data file is corrupt (not a Unity Web Player file)"

My unity3d demo room will run on any other browser (using the HTML code copied from Unity's own export) except IE8. I assume from other research that it is a MIME type problem.

Since a new webplayer 2.5.1 is pending, could there be a fix as well.

Obviously it would be nice to just move my site to Dreamweaver or something, but time is a factor here.

thanks.

14. Charles Hinshaw

Charles Hinshaw

I think that you need to update the param tag that has the src value to reference a fully qualified URL like the embed tag does. As it is param references "lab.unity3d" and embed references "http://web.me.com/deepcgi/files/lab.unity3d". If you are getting inconsistent behavior across browsers, try using the full URL for both.

Also, this is unrelated to the 2.5.1 webplayer -- create a support subject if you have more questions.

15. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

We'll be posting release notes when this all goes live and that will include a list of bug fixes and other new additions.

16. TNT

TNT

I'd like to test the old and new player so I can see if there are differences. Since I don't know how to uninstall the new one, I can only go on what I remember of the old one.

17. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

Welcome to the forums! If you're on a Mac just find the plugin folder and delete it (HD/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/Unity Web Player.plugin). If you're on Windows use Add/Remove programs.

18. ant

ant

In Firefox3.0.11 i was given an alert to update Flip4Mac, then i was shown a blue box that had a text label of 'unity player version 2.5.1f4' so i guess it worked?

Not sure about the alert.

In Safari 4 all I get is a media player bar (as if unity was a bit of video), and not much else.

I'm indeed on Mac OSX 10.5.7

19. AngryAnt

AngryAnt

Keyboard Operator

That's the Safari 4 beta bug you're seeing. This is fixed in the public release of Safari 4 - upgrading via Software Update should fix that.

20. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

You just install the official one and will be back to 2.5.0.

21. bingen

bingen

It works for me, and that's really nice 'cos I'm one of those with spanish vista, so official version hangs firefox.

22. mrswebb

mrswebb

I am glad I found someone else who is using iWeb to publish. I am also trying to publish a Unity 3d web file into iWeb, how do you embed that? Did you use the html snippet? I tried that and it didn't work. I am a bit of an amateur. I appreciate any assistance.

Thanks!

23. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

A number of people have been using iWeb to publish Unity content, it's come up a number of times here on the forums already. I'm sure if you do a forum search you'll find some threads about it.

Oh, and sorry, I'm not familiar with iWeb myself otherwise I'd offer a more concrete answer. :)

24. mrswebb

mrswebb

NP. I actually found some html code someone posted here that helped me get my game running through iWeb.