Search Unity

1. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

2/3 of iOS apps never downloaded, estimate finds

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Paradigm-SW, Jul 31, 2012.

1. Paradigm-SW

Paradigm-SW

2. CharlieSamways

CharlieSamways

Its simple, you have the marketing ability of me, but then don't have any family or friends.

Owh.. wait :(

3. Paradigm-SW

Paradigm-SW

Doho... in all seriousness though, unless your app is a complete POS, I can't see how you cannot get any downloads, period.

4. Meltdown

Meltdown

No surprise, since there is so much cr@p in the app store.

5. Dreamora

Dreamora

There are still many shovelware developers that thanks to apple not doing what they are meant to do by their guidelines flood the market with crap that is not even meant to succeed. These apps are not marketed and hence get never downloaded.

Others simply fail on rule 1: Add proper screenshots of your game / app - nothing is worse than apps that are offered on the store the same way most lazy wp7 / android devs do it without or with little screenshots. No normal user will even dare to waste the time to download such an app and you lose a major amount of potentially interested users before they even experienced your app.

Also keep in mind that anything beyond the top 100 of a genre has a high chance to not show up for most users at all as they unlikely dig through that deeply. Combine that with badly choosen tags and you are unfindable basically as genius does not link by tags to make up for dev incapabilities.

6. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

its badly flooded

7. Aguy

Aguy

Way too much crap in the toilet and no plunger in sight.

Then you have those who may make something good and have the marketing skills of an ant.

8. arkon

arkon

I can see how after the first few weeks the number of downloads could tend to zero, but for the first 2 weeks with any free app you seem to get a few thousand downloads. I've got 3 games on the store now and it's been very eye opening. My first game TorpedoRun gets a regular 600 downloads a day and has done for the last nine months. whereas my better second game Full Frontal Assault is lucky to get 30 free downloads per day! I've spent many an hour trying to figure out why and so far I think it has to do with what keywords people search for. If you search for a Naval game or just any combination of Naval my TorpedoRun shows up in the top 6 returned search results. Full Frontal on the other hand no matter what combination of war words I try in the search box I don't get a mention for dozens of pages.

I've decided that people can't know if a game is good or not without downloading it first so to not get the download in the first place must be a combination of keywords, screen shots and app store icon.

Oh one last niggle, On the app store I got a great review of Full Frontal from a player in the Netherlands, but the way the app store works ONLY people in the Netherlands will ever read it. It doesn't show up on any other store's review section. It would be great if all reviews were amalgamated together when you view the app in any app store.

9. Starsman Games

Starsman Games

I would not be too worked out about it. My Chicken Panic game is nothing out of this world, its rather lame if I say so myself (was a week-long project designed by my wife based off a game from her childhood, from Georgia The Country.)

The game has had a collective download count of 7,850 copies (the free edition, of course, is most of them, the paid edition only accounts for 52 downloads.)

This is in a relatively long window of time (released January 19.)

It has not done a killing (79 bucks in iAds, 35 bucks in sales) but for a game that I didn't expect much from, and in a world where some attempt to spread fear saying "oh noes you will never see a downloads!" its not bad.

The Holliday edition of Bomber Cat [free] has been downloaded 7,966 times since it's release and it never got a feature.

The Mac editon of that, also free, has been downloaded 45,912 times, but that one did get featured.

The iOS paid version of Bomber Cat was downloaded 12,407 times, it did get featured and most downloads occurred during that window. I had a free day that saw about 2k downloads.

The MacOS version was downloaded 213 times, but keep in mind I launched that edition at a rather step price (7 bucks, now 2.99)

Final stat to share:
    The Google Play version of the game, free, got downloaded a wooping 617 times. That is free. And anyone that has played the game knows it's not junk. Compare that to my free Chicken Panic game for iOS and you will also see why I have not bothered porting Chicken Panic for Android.

10. Aiursrage2k

Aiursrage2k

There is a whole economy of people making S***ty little games,... They have no intention of making a good game but making a game that will fit into whatever budget the client gives you.

Case in point: I saw a post on odesk where someone was trying to make a mortal kombat fighting agame for 5k and it had 25+ replies from various developers

11. Gigiwoo

Gigiwoo

The market is flooded. I reminds me of web-pages. In 5 minutes, my daughter created a wordpress website and wrote a few articles. But, her site is invisible - no one notices it, no one counts it. But, with apps, it's different. Even if you're just fooling around, all apps go to the same place - the appstore. And it's not easy to google apps on my device!

On my ipad, I cannot even sort games by their category! Preposterous!

Gigi

12. Aiursrage2k

Aiursrage2k

Well the idea is anything thats crap will be sink to the bottom and anything that is good will be featured and listed on the front page. I guess the problem is that anything that is just "okay" will also get killed.

13. carmine

carmine

Someone is selling the Unity iPhone demo in the app store.. they used to have it for free but now they are charging 99 cents. They literally did nothing but build the demo. I'm working on a 3d space game (which is how I found theirs).

If you search for "3d space" in the app store, it's the 5th app listed.

Here is the link to it.
    http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/3d-space-flight/id303749208?mt=8

(it's not even in space)

They have 354 apps in the app store...

Last edited: Aug 1, 2012
  14. LaneFox

LaneFox

Someone should make an app that filters out apps with no downloads.

15. CharlieSamways

CharlieSamways

So when you upload an app it will never ever get noticed by that app unless you download it yourself? :) Flawed concept imo.

16. SevenBits

SevenBits

Hey, it sounded good when I read it. Until I scrolled down and read your post, that is.

17. henry96

henry96

Not only on AppStore but on PlayStore as well. That's why we need to spread the words about our game.

18. SevenBits

SevenBits

Hey, Apple even has a New and Noteworthy page. I frequently scroll through there to see what kind of games there are. Usually it's crap, as people have stated, but maybe one day I'll find Shadowgun in there!

19. Aiursrage2k

Aiursrage2k

Probably because its usually crap you wont find that many people that will be adventurous. I usually just look at featured and then a category I might like, even I dont look in new and noteworthy.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2012
  20. taumel

taumel

When a platform is new, people buy everything. When a platform looks prospering, many people want to develop for it. Then after some time, the platform can look less sexy, people already own many games and only very good/hip/free games are going to make it. Those which are doing fine are really doing well because of the large installed user base, established structures and so on, it's a pyramid system.

21. goat

goat

It's simple. For instance, I traded translation services for a professionally done cartoon of a famous physicist. As I didn't have much use for it myself I just created 'Zazzle' products and then forgot about it for a while. Within 12 hours on Zazzle my products listed as 'new' were so quickly overwhelmed by 'newer' products. So much so that I'd be really, really, really, really lucky to be seen or have a placement in search on Zazzle and get a sale.

0 sales. Then finally 4 months later a speaker set with this cartoon is bought. $8.41 profit from a $44.83 sale (no telling how much profit Zazzle and the speaker manufacturer got).

Since then $0 sales. $0 advertising. $0 effort except checking 'views' out of curiosity once a month.

So estimates 0 downloads for 2/3 of apps is a case where the 'experts' are guessing that any app downloaded less than some 'magic number' say 100, has only been downloaded by the friends and family of the app developer.

In another words they are exagerating to make their write-up more 'headline' friendly and get more readers. Probaby because they aren't that successful themselves and so are resorting to such tactics to get attention in an overflooded and overbearing niche as Internet Media.

And don't underestimate the bigger players wanting to discourage Indy developers in their search for better search and feature app placement. Encouraging you to quit by being discouraging of your chances is one way to do that.

22. ZeroByteDNA

ZeroByteDNA

This isn't really that paranoid, when you think about it.

While MegaGameCorp might not feel threatened in the least by Bobby's Game - it's not just Bobby's Game. It's Bob's, Robert's, Robbie's, Roberto's, Rob's, Bobby Joe's, etc, etc, etc, etc. Even there, it's not necessarily that they feel the threat of going out of business themselves - but rather it is the threat of somebody else cutting into their profits.

The more indies that are putting out games, the higher the chance that MegaGameCorp might notice they're not making as much money as they once were...

23. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

I don't believe that to be accurate. I make games at a MegaCorp. (and I have worked at at IndyGameCompany as well). Independent games have always been a part of the gaming industry. But the reality is that the gaming industry isn't a zero-sum game. The simple fact that there are more independent games, means there are more gamers and more markets. There isn't a finite amount of players that indy games are cutting into. Game profits are up overall, both for independent games and large game companies. In fact, many of the biggest game companies today were independent teams/companies only a few years back.

Independent games are no more or less a threat to large game companies. "Threats" to big companies are shifting markets, tech changes, other big companies, staying innovative, internal issues, etc. And while a saturated market place is a certainly a challenge, independent games aren't sole cause of that by any means. All the big companies are putting out many more games than they used to. Look at EA. Compare how many games they put out this year compared to previous years.

Because there are so many games in general out there, it is very important to get people to see/try know about your game if it has any chance of success. Ultimately it will come down to quality game people want to keep playing, but there are probably several awesome games hiding in the sea of the app store/psn/xbla/google play/android store/internets that won't do well because people can't find them.

Marketing is a critical part to any game becoming a success. You have to include plans for that if your goal is making money. Your approach to that is going to depend on your resources. Certainly a big company can leverage traditional means, like ads and cross promotion. Independent games, just like building the game itself, have to be a bit more creative. Social media, kickstarter, etc. It can be done (and happens all the time), but may require more time/effort (in lieu of money).

In fact, in some cases, you could actually make a case for exactly the opposite effect. Take a look at Zynga for example. (though I am just talking about numbers of users here, not any other aspect of that company). Because there are so many games out there, Zynga players, rather than explore or look at other games, will just play games that Zynga releases. They can clone any game out there, but their name on and instantly have millions of users. Independent games are not only NOT a threat to Zynga, they are in fact a benefit. Though, I am not saying that is a good thing, or that will work for them in the long run, but it has made them a lot of money.

For any game company, big or small, the only real "threats" to success are two things, your own creativity and players(because they are fickle, and don't always do what you expect).

24. actuallystarky

actuallystarky

That's a nice idea but rather depends on Apple taking the time to carefully review every single app submitted and making an educated decision on what to feature. As they rather obviously don't have the manpower for that it is a big mistake for a developer to assume that app quality is enough to generate sales.

You must market as hard as you develop. If you can't market, work with someone who can.

25. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

Indeed.

Also, Though Apple's choice on featuring is pretty black box, they do consider many aspects when choosing a game to be featured. Quality of course, but also things like interest, and innovation. It can be a hard nut to crack to get an app store feature.