Search Unity

[2.1 beta] FreeLook orbiting in steps

Discussion in 'Cinemachine' started by OhiraKyou, Sep 3, 2017.

1. OhiraKyou

OhiraKyou

Found another issue with the FreeLook. I noticed that my input was stuttering really hard at times, particularly when the values were low. So, I slowed it down by increasing the acceleration and deceleration times and noticed that the FreeLook exhibits a sort of stepping as it repeatedly speeds up and halts, despite input remaining constant.

Here's a video showing the stepping behavior. Notice that, even though the input values don't change, the camera orbits in steps.

By design or otherwise, this is a pretty big deal for a player camera. It's been very distracting, even while just testing, and it's particularly harsh with a mouse. A constant input needs to be met with a constant result.

2. JakubSmaga

JakubSmaga

Have you tried changing CM Brain update method and also is your game running smoothly? (30/60fps - without any drops)

3. OhiraKyou

OhiraKyou

The game runs very smoothly. Changing the update method yielded the same behavior.

4. JakubSmaga

JakubSmaga

5. Corvwyn

Corvwyn

I noticed the same with the default values when moving the freelook cam with the mouse.

6. Gregoryl

Gregoryl

Unity Technologies

@OhiraKyou Thanks for the post. It was a bug in the axis update code. Beta updated with the fix. Let me know if that fixes the issue for you.

7. OhiraKyou

OhiraKyou

Looks like that fixed it. Thanks!

Gregoryl likes this.
  8. Corvwyn

Corvwyn

Same here by the way. Works much better now.