Search Unity

1. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

1st Person Grid Based Movement in VR with motion controls

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by BlueBlane, Jul 23, 2016.

1. BlueBlane

BlueBlane

I'm trying to think of some ways this can be both fun and balanced for a game I'm planning.

You'll be using motion tracked hands to cast spells in a retro dungeon crawler-esque game. The game world will be grid-based, so the player will move along tiles.

Normally, in a grid-based system with magic (especially in SRPGS), certain attacks / spells have a radius or direction. But when you introduce motion controls, the player should always be allowed to freely look around and aim anywhere they like. So you really can't restrict them from shooting a fireball in any direction they want.

What this means is, you can no longer have the player be along the same line of tiles as an enemy to be able to shoot them. They could be in the other corner of the room and there isn't anything you can do to restrict the player from shooting that enemy except for having a range for that spell.

But there is one way I thought of and I need advice on whether you think it could work.

The player has free reign to shoot and aim anywhere they want with projectile based attacks BUT the damage is significantly reduced if the enemy is not within the same line of tiles as you. Coupled with a good mana mangement system I can see this working, since it doesn't restrict the player's choice, it just prioritizes the grid.

So do you think this is a good solution? I was thinking of what would happen if I didn't implement this solution and the result that I picture in my mind is the player can keep evading the enemy by hopping across tiles and shooting projectiles from wherever. Sure, you can boost up the speed of the enemy, but I'm still not sure if it would work well.

Edit: Just wanted to simplify what I mean. Imagine Legend of Grimrock with motion controls. There would be a problem if you could aim a bow or shoot a fireball anywhere you please. The game only allows you to shoot it in 4 directions, so it cannot go diagonally across tiles.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2016