Search Unity

#1GAM5 : Match 3

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by FlyingRobot, May 15, 2013.

1. FlyingRobot

FlyingRobot

Hello there,

I'm keeping my first post quoted, as this thing turned out a 'not so simple' thing to do. Must not take anything that casually.

Screens and WebPlayer

Last edited: Jun 1, 2013
  2. GeneBox

GeneBox

What happened to your RPG? I was really looking forward to it!

On the topic though, nice one!

3. FlyingRobot

FlyingRobot

Yes, I'm focussing on the RPG now. Working on the systems now. That's going to take me to June. So, this month it's Puzzles and Dragons. Ahh...I talk too much!

4. GeneBox

GeneBox

Ahaha, sweet, looking forward to it!

5. AndrewGrayGames

AndrewGrayGames

I remember match 3.

In my college CS courses, it was used as a practical example of how to use a recursive algorithm, specifically the match detection. Given that it runs only after a swap has occurred, it dosen't cause much of a performance hit.

6. FlyingRobot

FlyingRobot

Yes, pretty interesting challenge to do with PlayMaker and ArrayMaker. Though the logic remains the same I miss regular coding JS/C# in these occasions.

7. AndrewGrayGames

AndrewGrayGames

I can imagine. When you've got the match-detection logic all wired up, you should totally post it! I'd love to see what it looks like.

8. FlyingRobot

FlyingRobot

Updated the WebPlayer with Swap Mechanism. Two options of the generation of the grid. One system generates the grid with Match2 checked, another one (better) ignores Match2 and checks for Match3 only.

WebPlayer

PS: Didn't post any screen, because it looks the same ;)

9. FlyingRobot

FlyingRobot

The Match 3 system is mostly done. Please check. It looks simple, but believe me, it's not.

Now it's time to add some graphics and a countdown timer.

WebPlayer

@Asvarduil : Let me tidy up the FSM's a bit. I'll post screens.

Last edited: May 22, 2013
  10. FlyingRobot

FlyingRobot

The game prototype is ready. Posting the FSMs that makes up the system for PlayMaker Users. More details will be in the docs of this kit.

11. FlyingRobot

FlyingRobot

12. Acumen

Acumen

Awesome efforts again.
    I looooove how you gain more and more appreciation for even the seemingly simplest game ideas and mechanics.
    I hope that doesn't sound harsh or anything. But it's awesome to see you grow on these challenges.

But yeah, I'm repeating myself, I know. You keeping up with this challenge is making me jealous AND motivated at the same time. It's so kind of you to document your successes and failures during the 1gam participation.
    Thanks for that :)
    Just wish more people would be willing to cheer you on. Stupid negative people :p

13. FlyingRobot

FlyingRobot

Hey thanks again, your post matters a lot.
    This community was always beside me. Though still a long way to go, but I really want to do this all the way through. With your support and some inspirational posts I may actually be able to do that. I hope so.

As I've said from the start, this is more of a personal challenge. Trying to push myself and learn my own pros and cons (there are more cons than pros). Finding that what I thought will work is not working. And nothing is what it seems. Thus, trying to find out my weaknesses and strength in concept, design and development. Trying to discover myself.

Overall, it's been fun.

14. AndrewGrayGames

AndrewGrayGames

I think seeing your 'code' I've gained a new appreciation for PlayMaker.

15. FlyingRobot

FlyingRobot