Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

#1GAM3 (Alt) : Coral Reef

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by FlyingRobot, Apr 1, 2013.

1. FlyingRobot

FlyingRobot

WebPlayer

What can I say. Feeling really depressed for planning it wrong. Started with THIS, and ending up with Pac-man! Mech -hack would take another 2 months or more than that for a complete prototype.

Nifty Astar pathfinding implementation though. Can help to study it's implementation! Like the other kits, source of this will be available through Asset Store.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2013
  2. GeneBox

GeneBox

I feel rather depressed too, while Pac - man is quite awesome - nothing can beat mechs!

3. FlyingRobot

FlyingRobot

While I'm on it, i'll take it out of #1GAM. I'll start a new thread. As a regular game. Not #1GAM. Mech -hack is too much work for a month.

Updating that game real soon.

4. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

Excellent. Congratulations on being a total failure. I am so glad you failed on your previous month's project, I'm awarding you a gold star. It would have been pointless doing the `1 game a month` thing if you were already capable and successful at pulling off this thing every month.. much greater gains await you if you can fail and thus learn much bigger lessons.

There is nothing wrong with failing, it is not some kind of sin that you have to be guilty or punished for, so don't be hard on yourself. When I saw your original game concept with this fancy mech robot things I instantly could see it was far too advanced to have any chance of completing in a month's timeframe. Complexity can be very attractive and interesting but it also introduces more work. Your designs were cool but totally outside the scope of your timeframe. For me I wouldn't even be able to model a single one of those designs in an entire month.

It's good that you failed because it teaches you valuable insights into what was wrong with your imagination and perception that didn't fit into the rules. It's very easy to get lost in imaginative ideas and concepts and not really get a grasp on what is *actually involved* in practically implementing the thing and making it *actually work* as a physical product. When you get down to it, turning ideas into finished projects is a mammoth amount more work than you would expect. Or at least for me.

So it doesn't matter that you didn't make it, and ended up with this maze-o-rama thing... so long as you have learned something from it that makes you a more capable perceiver of what is practical/realistic, tempering your artistic abilities. So good for you for continuing on this path and keep learning!

5. AndrewGrayGames

AndrewGrayGames

Can't wait to see that A*...

6. FlyingRobot

FlyingRobot

@ imaginaryhuman :

Ya, I'm doing the #1GAM to challenge myself. To see where I fail and how I succeed. To mark out my thresholds and limits. I guess March was the month of my failure.

Lesson learned. Learning this lesson was the point of all of this. Got to limit myself within the scope.
    But I wonder if it's always good to limit yourself like this. Bad side of game jams I guess.

Nevertheless I still have to do more games. It's a new month and give me a new idea.

@ Asvarduil

This is going to be a Free Kit. If you are interested in A* this can be good template to start from.

7. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

I guess the 1 month limit thing really is all about learning to do a fixed amount of work in a fixed amount of time, that's the overall lesson. There are other lessons to learn too of course. I'm not sure you need 12 months to learn the same lesson but who knows.

8. FlyingRobot

FlyingRobot

Limiting yourself to the timeframe is a lesson. But that's not a 12 month lesson. Moreover, concieving and finishing a game within a timeline is really a brain jam. This being the primary goal, the secondary was to make small prototypes for some frameworks that can be useful for long run. For instance, TD, RTS, RPG and may be racing or FPS with decent enemy AI. I'll try all of these. Sometimes, I'll succeed sometime I'll fail and do some small fun game for a change.

Starting to think about what to do this month. :)

9. Maurice-Hoffman

Maurice-Hoffman

Hello FlyingRobot, how about a racing game, with a lap timer, something to collect, gates which must be driven thru to advance in the race.
    speedometer, a top down map etc.

It can be a racer or a racer like crazy taxi to collect something and bring it some where within a time limit.

But i like the way you come up with a nice twist every time you make your monthly game.

Keep up the good work and when your packages show up in the asset store i will be the first to buy it.

10. Acumen

Acumen

Awesome that you actually managed to come up with an alternative to the hoplessly overscaled :)D) mech thing.
    Also I love love your way of thinking and making the right decisions on this gamejam thing !
    I don't see this as a failure nor should you feel depressing, btw !
    You should feel awesome about your achievements so far ! I know I sound like a fanboy but thats just how I feel. So many people in these forums just talk, talk, talk instead of getting stuff done and out there.
    So, I think you can claim your 1gamejam website achievement incase you haven't already :D

11. FlyingRobot

FlyingRobot

Thanks buddies, I dearly needed this to go on. You put a smile on my face :)

@Maurice

Hey crazy taxi is a nice idea. I think I can put something new in that too.

Got to sort out how to do big levels within this short time though. I think procedural cardboard boxes as buildings can do for now. You can always put textures on them at your leisure.

12. AndrewGrayGames

AndrewGrayGames

You're planning an RPG?

You just got my undivided attention.