Search Unity

#1GAM : Old School RPG PlayMaker Kit

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by FlyingRobot, May 27, 2013.

1. FlyingRobot

FlyingRobot

Started with the RPG PlayMaker Kit.

The Poll I had for 2D/3D didn't came up with a majority. See LINK

So, because I'm a 3D artist, it is going to be 3D primarily, but will have a 2D version. I'll try to closely follow Old School SNES RPG Mechanics. If I mess up at places don't forget to straighten me up! Please come out what you like and you don't with the systems. Can't do this without your help.

Planned features :
    1. A Character profiling system. Gold, Health, Experience.
    2. A branchable skill system fed by leveling up from Experience Points.
    3. Inventory system (weapons and armors as a subsystem)
    4. Shops and buy and drop to inventory.
    5. Collect, pick up Loot, throw loot/inventories.
    6. Stackable Quest system.
    7. Sequential Dialog system where dialogs can be read from text files. Formatted more like comic book scripts.
    8. Branchable Dialog system.
    9. Minimap

Another thing, from the initiation I'm making it in a mobile ready way. And FSMs like PlayMaker are made for RPGs more than anything else.

Screens and WebPlayer

Not giving any number to this particular #1GAM. Don't want to rush with this one. I hope I'll have it ready within June, let's see.

Last edited: May 27, 2013
  2. tylernocks

tylernocks

I like it!!!

3. Maurice-Hoffman

Maurice-Hoffman

Looking great, it gonna be a hell of a project but when it is ready you can be proud.

Any sign when Wheelie Town Heroes will be in the asset store ?

4. FlyingRobot

FlyingRobot

@ tylernocks : Thanks! Looking forward to see your RPG too.

@Maurice : No news from Asset Store. Either they are super duper busy or the submission queue got screwed again.

I'll submit the kit again today . Hopefully it won't be another 15 days in the waiting.

5. Kelde

Kelde

awesome! really wish i had the guts to delve into a RPG that uses this....gotta love those features!

6. GeneBox

GeneBox

Looking forward to this! Good luck!

7. FlyingRobot

FlyingRobot

Jeez. You're scaring me! :)

8. LaneFox

LaneFox

Ah it won't be too terribly hard. I think the hardest thing will be the inventory and shop stuff, those FSM's get really cluttered. The dialog from txt files could get tricky but I think there is a solved thread on the PM forums talking about doing that already, maybe like a month old or so.

9. FlyingRobot

FlyingRobot

That's cool! Will check that now!

10. Zenchuck

Zenchuck

Agree with this sentiment. If I worked with someone who replied to my emails after 2-3 weeks (not once, but ALL THE TIME) I'd tell them not to bother. Makes communication a b*tch. A letter in the mail might be faster.

Art looks solid. Keep up the good work.

11. AndrewGrayGames

AndrewGrayGames

Lookin' sharp! Good luck!

12. FlyingRobot

FlyingRobot

Another thing, resorting to NGUI for all the GUI stuff. Using UnityGUI is really bad idea for mobiles.

13. dr girlfriend

dr girlfriend

I am wildly looking forward to this! Release ASAP (well... you know, when ever you can finish). I can't wait!!

14. FlyingRobot

FlyingRobot

Thanks for the interest.

I'm really in a decision soup for this. Using NGUI and PlayMaker will not get pass the asset store scrutiny. It seems like they only allow a single third party software dependency. But I don't really want to use Unity GUI.

Any suggestions will be most welcome.

15. AndrewGrayGames

AndrewGrayGames

While I'm aware you're primarily an artist, not a programmer, why not create an adapter layer that requires a certain contract (that is, data and methods a class must have) that could allow the player to use whatever they want, and create a basic GUI using Unity GUI? After all, this is a mere kit, not a full game; it's up to us end-users to do something additional with what you provide.

16. FlyingRobot

FlyingRobot

Nice suggestion. Let me see what I can do. But NGUI and the Unity GUI is so vastly different! I have to find a way to do this.

17. masterton

masterton

Apple doesn't care how many third party libraries you use. We use NGUI, about 3 Prime31 plugins and a bunch more. 3rd party plugins should not make any difference when submitting to apple because Unity compiles it all to native code in the end.

18. Lioncirth

Lioncirth

Hey

I love this kit :)

I am currently using 2DToolkit for my GUI and im using Playmaker and I have not come across any issues "yet" :)