Search Unity

1950x and the benefit of more cores

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by roymagnuson, Jun 14, 2018.

1. roymagnuson

roymagnuson

Hi all!

Does anyone have any experience with the threadripper processors in Unity? I am building a workstation for VR development, and have the budget to go up to the 1950x if it, and the platform (mainly quad channel memory), is going to be an improvement over a 2700x or 8700k.

I will be building this with a grant, so I likely will not be able to upgrade down the line. Future proofing, as much as it is possible, is key.

I do already have an ASUS strix 1080ti.

Thanks much!

2. Ryiah

Ryiah

If you don't need the system right now you may want to wait till the third quarter of this year. AMD is preparing to ship the second generation of Threadripper which will be up to a 32C/64T chip. I expect the lower models of the second series to have lower costs compared to equivalent first generation chips.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/12906/amd-reveals-threadripper-2-up-to-32-cores-250w-x399-refresh

Threadripper.jpg

Below in the spoiler is a chart showing the performance of an AMD Threadripper vs an i9-7900X. Your question is one that is only going to be answered by knowing the needs of the applications you are running.

For tasks that don't use very many threads the Intel CPU outperforms the AMD CPU, but once you step up into high thread counts the AMD chip smokes the Intel chip.

cinebench_r15.038_1t_32_ryzen_threadripper_1950x_vs_corei9-7900x-100731230-orig.jpg

Meltdown and AndersMalmgren like this.
  3. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

I saw a huge perfomance gainwhen going from 4 to 8 cores when baking light, so one can only guess that its the same for 16 cores vs 8 if baking light scale linear between 8 and 16 (It pretty much scaled linear from 4 to 8). Its stuff like baking light, baking navmesh, baking occlusion, building game that will benefit.

Ryiah likes this.