Search Unity

180 Km/h speed test on a 5.4 Km lenght circuit

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by pikachu, Sep 17, 2005.

1. pikachu

pikachu

You can access the test using the link below.

http://www.gigapoly.com/test.html

I would be grateful for any feedback with regards to the impression of speed. Does it feel too slow or too fast for 180 Km/h?

Please note that I have intentionally left out points of references outside the track in order to test the spacing and detail of the main ground texture.

Your feedback would help me to optimise the scales I use when modelling and texturing.

Kind regards
    Reda Borchardt

2. boxy

boxy

I like it! Though I personally think you should exaggerate the speed more and possibly make the look/steer controls more sensitive because I found it quite easy to control - one thing I remember about playing something like Project Gotham Racing is that it took quite a lot of practise to control the cars at top speed.
    I will follow this with interest, please keep posting!
    Cheers
    Boxy

3. Jonathan Czeck

Jonathan Czeck

I agree with Boxy, and wanted to add that I thought it'd be neat to vary the camera's FOV dependent on the speed of the camera. (more speed = more FOV... clamped at something sane of course)

-Jon

4. guategeek_legacy

guategeek_legacy

Personaly it didn't feel anything like 180 kmh. It felt more like 80. I have gone 140 or so so I would sugest making it faster, but it could be that with some blure and some sound efects it would feel like 180. I'm no expert. Jeff

5. pikachu

pikachu

Thanks for your feedback.

6. Richard_B

Richard_B

Yea - played smoothly and was easy to keep on the track - not sure what 180km/h looks like!

Richard,

7. NicholasFrancis

NicholasFrancis

I cannot really gauge the speed. This is due to a few things:

1) The camera seems very high of the ground or the track is too narrow. If you move the camera down, you'll get a higher speed sensation...

2) There are no background objects to gauge the speed by. To start of, just add some house-sized boxes...

bertenernie likes this.
  8. Richard_B

Richard_B

Good point - you always need easily recognizable objects to judge speed/scale. Going by the white stripes (usually about 1 to 2m in length), then speed is below 180km/h.

Richard.